Page 1 of 2
Do they still make these Basses? I cannot find one anywhere.

Although I have no intention of replacing my JBass anytime soon, it would be a shame for such a beautiful instrument to go out of production.
i dont think so, fitz was tellin me he saw one the other day he was really impressed with......at least i think it was him

but dont quote me

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Well, actually, I saw two. One was used and was selling for $939 on consignment, and the other was new, across the street, for ~$1400. That second one arrived recently, so I'm lead to believe that they are still made.

That said, I did get some sit down time with them. They played well, felt wonderful, and looked fantastic - that colour scheme really makes the toilet bowl look credible. However, once I plugged it in and got to hear it...

But anyway, from what I understand, the Stealth Bongo isn't an actual model - it's just a colour scheme. You should be able to order a Stealth just like any other Bongo.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
So are the pickups and hardware are bad? I always change those out anyway.

Basically looks and other irreplaceable stuff is all I go for since I never keep something as is.
Last edited by RockDJ at Apr 7, 2008,
well there humbuckers....humbuckers are only so versitile...not for everyone.....and i thikn its kinda hard to find different pickups for any music man cause its so big

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics
well there humbuckers....humbuckers are only so versitile...not for everyone.....and i thikn its kinda hard to find different pickups for any music man cause its so big

Nordstrand makes some among other indie custom shops.
Well, the Bongos have that interesting pickup casing. Finding perfect fit replacements might be a problem.

That said, in my experience, it doesn't matter who makes the humbucker - you'll get that humbucker tone. I can see someone who loves that tone LOVING the Bongo - just not me. When played softly with the neck pickup soloed, I thought "yeah, yeah, this is... kinda Precision like!" and was actually shocked. Then, when I dug in, that ribbit came full-force, and I realized that the bass isn't for me. Neck, bridge, blend - you're getting that "REEEEET" every time you play a note.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Deliriumbassist
As does MEC, and Seymour Duncan... it's not hard to find replacement MM style humbuckers in the slightest.

Yeah, Musicman is not some obscure company. They have name-recognition.
Quote by thefitz
Well, the Bongos have that interesting pickup casing. Finding perfect fit replacements might be a problem.

That said, in my experience, it doesn't matter who makes the humbucker - you'll get that humbucker tone. I can see someone who loves that tone LOVING the Bongo - just not me. When played softly with the neck pickup soloed, I thought "yeah, yeah, this is... kinda Precision like!" and was actually shocked. Then, when I dug in, that ribbit came full-force, and I realized that the bass isn't for me. Neck, bridge, blend - you're getting that "REEEEET" every time you play a note.

Maybe you should get the Bongo and ram 2 soapbars into each pup cavity
Quote by RockDJ
What the ****!?

Ever play an Ernie Ball? Precisions go "trrr trrr trrr", the bridge pickup of a Jazz goes "gah gah gah gah", and an Ernie Ball humbucker goes "REEET."
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Ever play an Ernie Ball? Precisions go "trrr trrr trrr", the bridge pickup of a Jazz goes "gah gah gah gah", and an Ernie Ball humbucker goes "REEET."

So it is really trebly and sharp?

I love how my JBass is low and soft. It kind of has a 'thumping' feel... except for when I turn the volume all the way up on my amp and it has a 'stampede of elephants' feel.

Whereas the JBass kind of like the ocean (strong yet fluid), the Bongo would be the desert (inhospitable and sharp).
Quote by RockDJ
So it is really trebly and sharp?

I love how my JBass is low and soft. It kind of has a 'thumping' feel... except for when I turn the volume all the way up on my amp and it has a 'stampede of elephants' feel.

Whereas the JBass kind of like the ocean (strong yet fluid), the Bongo would be the desert (inhospitable and sharp).

Not true, I find humbuckers have a very thick tone to them, that's also very cutting (which is probably what fitz is describing) you're best bet is to try one out.

Remember you can also get neck single coils as well as the bridge humbucker.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I took from your description that you're inferring that Bongos have a thin tone, and that's the farthest from the truth. They have a very thick, abrasive tone - however, I find the pickups very throaty with an exageratted yet hollow midrange that is present on any humbucker-equipped instrument, regardless of the make, model, wood, or pickup placement. They cut through the mix with authority, but I just find their tone to be unpleasant. A guitar humbucker on clean at the bridge is a startingly good approximation.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
there is about 4 new 4 string bongos in the local guitar center and one 5 string. im not sure wich one i like better the neck jazz+ bridge Humbucker or the dual humbuckers. probably the dual humbuckers tho.

overall the bongo is my favorite ernie ball. i liked it better than a 2007 aniversary limited edition dual humbucker sterling that was twice it's preice.

i think what atracts me to the bongo is the 4 band EQ, the dual humbuckers and (of course) the shape. the only problem is that dispite the 4 band eq it does not fit every genre. but then again (almost) no bass does.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by thefitz
I took from your description that you're inferring that Bongos have a thin tone, and that's the farthest from the truth.

Actually, I meant the same thing as you apparently did.

Quote by thefitz
A guitar humbucker on clean at the bridge is a startingly good approximation.

The SD Nickel-Custom in my SG kind of has this banjo-ish scooped-mid twang thing going on, making it sound like it has a weak AutoWah on it... but I know what you mean.
Quote by thefitz
Precisions go "trrr trrr trrr", the bridge pickup of a Jazz goes "gah gah gah gah", and an Ernie Ball humbucker goes "REEET."

Aaaaaaand *sigged*.

It's true though, those humbuckers are an acquired taste. One that I have indeed acquired.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
I Tasted a Humbucker once, Haven been able to Humm since. Toatally Bucked.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Quote by sven_cliffy
I Tasted a Humbucker once, Haven been able to Humm since. Toatally Bucked.

Oh Sven-cliffy, you always make the things I say funnier. You're the Silent Bob to my Jay.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

I love my HH bongo... why does yours have to be a stealth, out of curiosity?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
I love my HH bongo... why does yours have to be a stealth, out of curiosity?

If I ever got a Bongo it would definitely be a Vintage Sunburst or Brownburst (refinished) with black pickguard (hopefully carbon fibre) and vintage hardware (ie. vintage-quality, not some rused thing from the 60's) with top-of the line (but not custom shop... ~$300 per pup is not my thing) PU's... which is how I try to have all my instruments look.

I just don't see many 'stealth' types of instruments around... it just piques my interest
I am not a huge fan of Bongos--they feel really awkward to play. Though I have to concur with my fellow mod, that they sound great. Much more of a Stingray chick.

All REETing aside, they sound bright. When I first used my MM FL to play jazz, I cut through the rest of the group like a sharp knife and had to trade the roundwounds for flats because of it. Even then, my bass teacher mentions that its the brightest FL he's ever heard.

Humbuckers, you either love or hate 'em. There's no in between.
And, for the record, the Stealth Bongo is absolutely striking. I saw Tony Levin with it, and as cheesy as this sounds, it was the coolest thing I've ever seen.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by RockDJ
I just don't see many 'stealth' types of instruments around.

Thats because they're trained not to be seen dummy!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist

For the record, I still don't see why no one seems to make a bass with a Jazz pup in the bridge and a humbucker in the neck. Albeit, thats a PJ bass in a way, but whatever.
Yeah, matte black with a matte black pick guard, black hardware, pickup covers, and pickup magnets.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
just to prove i'm not a "hum-o-phobic", i played a G&L, L-2000 for almost two years, and loved it!. i could "dial in", any tone. having said that, i have the same opinion of the Bongo, as Fitz.
Quote by thefitz

That said, I did get some sit down time with them. They played well, felt wonderful, and looked fantastic - that colour scheme really makes the toilet bowl look credible. However, once I plugged it in and got to hear it...

i love it, but it's just not me.
Quote by WhyLater
Oh Sven-cliffy, you always make the things I say funnier. You're the Silent Bob to my Jay.

Siggarooed

On the other Hand. Ive played Both Sterlings and Rays and i prefered the Sterlings thin neck. But Whats the neck like on the Bongos?
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
They do make them, I found two in my guitarstore (a 4 and 5 string model).

I prefer sterlings, though.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by RockDJ
If I ever got a Bongo it would definitely be a Vintage Sunburst or Brownburst (refinished) with black pickguard (hopefully carbon fibre) and vintage hardware (ie. vintage-quality, not some rused thing from the 60's) with top-of the line (but not custom shop... ~$300 per pup is not my thing) PU's... which is how I try to have all my instruments look.

I just don't see many 'stealth' types of instruments around... it just piques my interest

...you do realize the only thing remotely special about a Bongo is its pickups? what you're trying to do is buy a Lamborghini Diablo so you can put an American V8 in it... because you like how the Diablo looks.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
...you do realize the only thing remotely special about a Bongo is its pickups? what you're trying to do is buy a Lamborghini Diablo so you can put an American V8 in it... because you like how the Diablo looks.

Is that so wrong?
Quote by RockDJ
Is that so wrong?

Not wrong per se, but extremely odd. I agree with UTBDan, those pickups are the soul of that bass, and as I said before, are the one thing I really dug about the Bongo. Its that tonality that makes them what they are.
Quote by thefitz

double sigged!
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by anarkee
Not wrong per se, but extremely odd. I agree with UTBDan, those pickups are the soul of that bass, and as I said before, are the one thing I really dug about the Bongo. Its that tonality that makes them what they are.

Hmm... let's put it this way.

If I was in a position to be somehow attached to a stereotypical beautiful woman, and I had the chance to put the brain of an intelligent woman (or at least the thought centers of said brain) into her body... I would do so instantaneously. I could live with the generally undesirable personality of the original woman, but why would I if I could have someone more interesting?

To put it simply: If looks are a factor to me in this equation, then so is the content. If I like how the Bass looks, but do not like the sound... then I will change it to my liking. Sorry if living in America has skewed my morals.
Last edited by RockDJ at Apr 8, 2008,
The point is that if you don't like the tone, there isn't a pickup that'll fit into the bass that'll give you a tone you'll like. There aren't any better pickups for that bass than the ones that come on it.

Put any brain in Fran Drescher you want, that voice will still drive you up the Goddamned wall.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
The point is that if you don't like the tone, there isn't a pickup that'll fit into the bass that'll give you a tone you'll like. There aren't any better pickups for that bass than the ones that come on it.

Put any brain in Fran Drescher you want, that voice will still drive you up the Goddamned wall.

I see.
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
double sigged!

But... but you can't... but I already...

...Damnit.

Quote by thefitz

Agreed. The Bongo is pretty one-of-a-kind. You know how in video games you can't customize like the last secret super special item? That's because it would defeat the purpose and screw it up.

You read it here, ladies and gents - Weileder used a video game analogy in reference to basses. Thank you, and good night.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Quote by RockDJ
I see.

Said the blind man

Stingrays, Bongos, Precision Basses and Rics are really a complete package deal. You either love them in totality or its a rather shallow kind of love. Tone > looks in any bass and to say you love a Ric or a Bongo, but can't stand the way it sounds, then you've missed the point and the loves a bit shallow and rather pointless, don't you think?
Quote by anarkee
Said the blind man

Stingrays, Bongos, Precision Basses and Rics are really a complete package deal. You either love them in totality or its a rather shallow kind of love. Tone > looks in any bass and to say you love a Ric or a Bongo, but can't stand the way it sounds, then you've missed the point and the loves a bit shallow and rather pointless, don't you think?

But a large part of music culture are concerts. I don't care how good a musician is, if they don't have any stage presence, I am not going to see them. Looks of a bass is important, and I find it foolish to dismiss them ENTIRELY for tone.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Page 1 of 2