I give up comparing guitars now, i just want someone to point me in a very precise direction of what i should buy, second hand or new.

I'm a little better than a beginner i guess, i can a lot of Metallica, including most of the solos, tool, Job for a cowboy, lamb of god. plus i have a Marshall MG30 ( I know! 'eewww MG!' it's good for what the price was)
That's what i'm capable of.

I want a guitar that has: A good trem system-possibly an OFR, EMGs ( any kind as long as it's good at metal and good at clean songs), locking nut, good tuners, neck through body- basswood and in that kind of a strat shape you see in almost all of the good ESP metal guitars. colors- possibly red with black see though finish, or black.

If you can find that in under 700 Aussie dollars, well..............
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Look at Schtecter (however its spelt) or Jackson if your price range is $700.
That Ibanez looks good though.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
how much better is the prestige model?

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Quote by SG310user
how much better is the prestige model?

Mainly it's just a better built guitar overall, if you can, go for one
i mainly do like ibanez, but their body shape seems smaller than most other strat shaped guitars. i want something with a bit more bulk!

If you have a MG (no matter what the deal was you got) it's better to invest in a better amp, you will hardly get sound improvement with a new guitar. The reason EMG's are widely used is because they sound good through a TUBE amp, preferably a modern sounding one.

So my advice is by a new amp, but if you have to buy a new guitar, don't be dissapointed if the sound improvement is only marginal. So I'd like to know what guitar you have now.

On the S-series prestige, it's not worth it in my opinion, the upgrades from a non-prestige are just cosmetical, not worth the extra cash. If I were you, and I really wanted a new guitar, I'd look at slightly lower priced guitar and buy a new amp with it.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
I've already showed you a killer metal guitar with a good trem and awesome pickups!
Dude seriously that ESP would absolutely destroy anything else within the price range!
There's no probs going second hand man, especially if its in decent condition. In Australia you're far better of going second hand because new things are just stupidly expensive.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I now i should get a new amp first, but i have a EPI SG310. Not great, a guitar that i'd like would make SOO much difference, not just because of the sound, but the way i'd play!

Howey, i still don't have 750 bucks!

It'll be a big change although you should really sell your MG and G310 and try and get $400+ from them. Then you could buy that ESP and a roland microcube and still have a bit left over. Although I don't know if its wise to have your only guitar eqipped with a floyd just for tuning reasons.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
it's not my only guitar, m sister had a gibby les pual and i have a hondo acoustic, also i own an epiphone acoustic

A good guitar is a good thing, dispite the fact that you won't get a great increase in sound quality, your playing might improve faster because of the nice guitar, so if you must, spend enough money to get yourself a nice playing guitar.

And please, go try guitars at your guitar shop and see what works for you. There is a great difference between ibanez and ESP guitar for example, so try them yourself and see which one fits YOU best.

For metal, try schecter, Ibanez, ESP (LTD), Cort (don't underestimate them, ibanez quality for half the price) etc.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
Aslo, my sig says a cube 20x if i had that and a ESP or LTD or Ibanez or Shecter or jackson that combo for me would kick ass!

any more?

You don't want a cube 20x try and get one of the ones with COSM so get the microcube or <30x. Seriously consider the ESP and the microcube. Its the best set up you could get for under $1000 over here. And you have other guitars that you can switch tunings with so yeah go for it!

And for people who keep wondering what ESP I'm talking about, check his profile and click the link.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by Octavianus
On the S-series prestige, it's not worth it in my opinion, the upgrades from a non-prestige are just cosmetical, not worth the extra cash. If I were you, and I really wanted a new guitar, I'd look at slightly lower priced guitar and buy a new amp with it.

I would agreed with you at this point if this was a year ago; but since the new Japanese S Series are out (S5470 anyone?), I must say the Japanese S series are shaping up to be very very good guitars.

Any TS...

http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/washburn/index.htm

Check the X40 out, it's $150 out your price range but the specs on it are amazing for the price. Granted it doesn't have EMGs or it's neck thru but you can't really complain at this range.
i have a LP, and i play the brutalist of metal on it, through a Cube 60.
i would listen to howey, a good guitar through a < 30 Cube or Microcube will do you wonders.
the Cube allows me to play death metal on my single-coil strat.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Minarik guitars are the BEST bang for the buck! The tone is massive and they play and look KILLER!

www.minarikguitars.com
"When one loses himself in his art, the art then comes to life."

-Hazrat Inayat Khan
try getting a used Jackson soloist. they are the definition of the perfect guitar. awesome necks, awesome pickups, awesome everything. or try going for an Ibanez prestige RG series. they have the wizard prestige necks and have an awesome tremolo
Mahogany body
Flame maple neck
Ebony fretboard with dot inlays
Jumbo frets
Original Floyd Rose bridge
N/85 B/81 EMG pickups
Two way switch selector

what i want! second hand or not, that guitar would be the beast !

Try looking at 80s Kramers.
They virtually all have OFRs, and while they aren't neck-thru and dont have EMGs, they are much cheaper and are still fantastic guitars.
Put like 300 bucks in buying the guitar, and you've got some money to play with in getting pickups and a Cube.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
the schecter c-1 hellraiser FR fits your description. they are pretty nice too
schecter hellraiser son
try an Ltd Viper or Ibanez Iceman maybe?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mahogany body
Flame maple neck
Ebony fretboard with dot inlays
Jumbo frets
Original Floyd Rose bridge
N/85 B/81 EMG pickups
Two way switch selector

The ESP has a 3 peice maple neck, an OFRII, SD pickups and a 3 way selector.

Ebony fretboards cost a **** load.
Jumbo frets are handy but in the end you should be able to play with or without them.
And EMG's would sound like **** through an MG (from experiance) And SD's would sound far better on a cube to.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Well, you can't go wrong with a Jackson DKMG Dinky.

I believe it's in your price range, but I don't know much about the Aussie dollar.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

^ Nope the lowest you could get that is about $950.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Schecter C-1 hellraiser FR, about $850
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2