Ok, so I've decided: I'm going for a small tube amp.

Emphasis on small. I'm moving out not long from now, and I don't want too big of a sound. I'm looking for a nice heavier sound (I play metal), but should do cleans as well. I've looked at stuff like the Valve Jr, Blackheart amps, that sort of thing. If a pedal is needed, so be it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thus far I've got this stuck in my head:

Blackheart Handsome Devil, with a 1x12/2x12 cab and maybe some pedals or something.

Target price: Keeping it under half a grand (Euro's) would be nice.

A small Tube amp under half a grand in EU would be hard, But I know you can pick an ENGL Thunder quite cheap. I think about 500 GBP that seems to suit your needs.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
The Engl Thunder is 50 watts, way too loud for the TS needs i assume. Take a look at the JSx Mini Colossal. 5 watts and can do metal pretty well, sounds great. only problem is that its single channel so clean will be a problem.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Do you really need a tube amp?
If you want to get a decent modern metal tone you would probably need a VJ and something like a damage control demonizer which will set you back a fair bit.
Or alternativly you could just buy a roland microcube and be set
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Do you really need a tube amp?
If you want to get a decent modern metal tone you would probably need a VJ and something like a damage control demonizer which will set you back a fair bit.
Or alternativly you could just buy a roland microcube and be set

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Yes, I really do want a tube. I've been using my SS for over 4 years now (SpiderII), and it's way too big, way too loud, and way too sucky for my needs.
Where I'm going, I'll be recording a fair bit, as well as regular practice. So I really want a good, not too loud tone.

50W is indeed too much, but how about the BH I posted? How would that be, with like a nice overdrive?

the blackHearts have been getting really nice feedback from users, probably would serve you well with an Od.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
the blackHearts have been getting really nice feedback from users, probably would serve you well with an Od.

Yeah, they have. That's why I was so psyched that they're for sale overhere now, too! You can get a 12" cab with a 5W head for about 300 Euro's... Or a 15W head for about 400, or the 15W combo for about..... you get the point.

I've heard awesome things about them, and in theory that would serve me a nice OD to go with and I'd have a better setup than I've ever had.

The Mini Colossal seems nice, but it's over my budget, unfortunately...

Does anyone have experience with the BH and maybe an OD? What OD would go nice with it? What else would I (in theory) need?

Thanks!

I tried out both the Blackheart and Valve Jr They are very close to the same. I liked the open back cab of the Valve Jr (the blackheart model I tried had a closed back) and frankly the looks of the Valve Jr gave it the edge for me. The Vj absolutely loves pedals and I believe the blackheart does also, so i'm sure it will give you what you want.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
A VJ and a damagecontrol pedal would be simply awesome!
Tube saturation at bearable volumes and you would still get a killer metal tone.
I don't think you would get modern metal with a VJ and an OD, you might need to run 2 OD's at once. So you'd be better off just buying a damagecontrol dist pedal (which is powerd by 2 tubes)
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Ok, well thanks guys. I've got a good mindset about what amps to try, when I get the chance! The biggest disadvantage of the VJ would be that it hasn't got any EQ though, so (even with a pedal for the 'bigger' sounds) the cleans would be rather... clean and dull, would they not?

Now, for a pedal:
Howey, the Demonizer sounds awesome; But is rather in-awesome in it's price.
Let's just say I'm spending 400 on the amp (combo or head+cabbie), that would leave around a hundred for a pedal of some sorts.

Any other idea's?
Remember, this isn't Death Metal I'm playing here! A bit of prog, shred and some black metal.
Oh unlucky dude
I've wanted a demonizer for ages to but the price tag is just insane!
Maybe get a VJ combo and a danelctro fish and chips and maybe a .... second hand TS9 or something.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Oh unlucky dude
I've wanted a demonizer for ages to but the price tag is just insane!
Maybe get a VJ combo and a danelctro fish and chips and maybe a .... second hand TS9 or something.

Hmm, that would add up to just over 300, but I'm not too sure about the VJ yet... I'll have to try it and compare (if I can).

By TS9, I take it you meant the Ibanez, right? They're going for a bout 130-150 over here...
Yep with an EQ you should be able to get decent cleans and a good distortion. If the VJ combo, EQ and TS came to $300. Then you might want to buy a new TS9 and get a MXR 6 or 10 band EQ.

Your definately going to need and OD pedal to get that amp anywhere near metal and the Ibanez tubscreamer 9 is an awesome pedal.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Yep with an EQ you should be able to get decent cleans and a good distortion. If the VJ combo, EQ and TS came to $300. Then you might want to buy a new TS9 and get a MXR 6 or 10 band EQ.

Your definately going to need and OD pedal to get that amp anywhere near metal and the Ibanez tubscreamer 9 is an awesome pedal.

I heard it is.
There's two versions available at where I ususally go:

The 'original'.
Or the 'Turbo'-one.

I know the bottom one is an 'upgraded' version, or something like that, but is it better? Worth extra 20?

(Yes, I am a n00b on the face of pedals and the likes)
I heard that the 'turbo' one was actually worse haha.
Also have a look at the TS9 re issues they'll probably be a little more the then turbo but see how you like it.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
I heard that the 'turbo' one was actually worse haha.
Also have a look at the TS9 re issues they'll probably be a little more the then turbo but see how you like it.

They're indeed an extra 60 on top of the 'Original'. But, how is it different from the Original? Does it pale in comparison?
Last edited by Y00p at Apr 10, 2008,
The Orange Tiny Terror comes with a gig bag that you sling over your shoulder. Nuff said.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by philjay
The Orange Tiny Terror comes with a gig bag that you sling over your shoulder. Nuff said.

Well basically, you can sling any gigbag over your shoulder.

I get your point though, small. I meant small in wattage, so people wouldn't be suggesting 150W heads and stuff.

Well, from sound samples and reviews all over the net, I've basically focused myself on the 15W Handsome Devil BlackHeart + a 112 cab. I just really like how it sounds without any added pedals. A real natural crunch.

Now, for the pedal. Any suggestions besides the TS9 (which I'd like to try, but am not really sure about yet)? Remember, about 100-150 tops.