Poll: society - gone downhill?
Poll Options
View poll results: society - gone downhill?
yes - voilence, lack of discipline etc.
63 58%
no - we are now more aware
33 31%
other - please explain
12 11%
Voters: 108.
Page 1 of 2
or is it now portrayed more? in the media and whatnot?

i don't think society has crumbled anymore than it ever has. i would rather live now than in the victorian ages!!!
Hard question to answer objectively.

I would say yes and not because of media portrayal. I used to live in a nice area in London that had no trouble, but chavs took over and they cause so much trouble. We moved out. The new area rapidly fell into this disease of anti social idiots roaming the streets causing trouble. Now everywhere I go, in London at any rate, I see these anti social idiot chavs going round and being complete retards. They smash things, beat people, mug them and what not. There is no values left in this society. No one treats anyone with respect from what Ive seen at any rate.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19

I would say yes and not because of media portrayal. I used to live in a nice area in London that had no trouble, but chavs took over and they cause so much trouble. We moved out. The new area rapidly fell into this disease of anti social idiots roaming the streets causing trouble. Now everywhere I go, in London at any rate, I see these anti social idiot chavs going round and being complete retards. They smash things, beat people, mug them and what not. There is no values left in this society. No one treats anyone with respect from what Ive seen at any rate.

They are scum, they take our houses, and live on benefits that WE pay for
Quote by closertofreewil
I officially hate you SBLAKELELY.

PSN ID: blakerz92
add me
Quote by Guitardude19

agreed. i f*ckin hate chavs!
Quote by shav0r
Well basically sperm is alive right, so how come you don't see it move around on its own in a condom or whatever?

BLAME FACEBOOK FOR MURDERS... NOT THE MUSIC!
They are all the same too... same clothes, same hair, same cocky arogant dickhead attitude
None of them are individual and original
Quote by closertofreewil
I officially hate you SBLAKELELY.

PSN ID: blakerz92
add me
I could sit here, typing point after point, looking at all the reasons why society has fallen and why it ain't so bad, but it's easier to just say ANUS!!!
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
It's definitely portrayed by sensationalist media has having decayed; but in actuality we are much better off than the ignorant, exploitative, racist, sexist, impoverished societies of the past.

Short answer: No, stop reading politically biased sensationalised pub-thinker ****.
Got to say no on this. Obviousely this is just an opinion and not taken from any sources other than my own pressumptions but with all the media involvement we are mearely informed on more of this. Overall I believe that humanity is at a beter stage than ever before in terms of co-existance (god I sound like a hippy). What I mean to say is that although there will always be violent and disgusting asspects of humanity I think that at the moment there is very probably less of this than ever before (atleast in the western world I obviousely can't make comment on third world countries without looking further into it).

EDIT: vermantide just summed what I meant to say 3 posts ago.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
meh, i would say its not too different.

the human condition never changes, don't think cause we live in the 21st century that we are better off....
I believe as a society we have become alot more selfish and inward looking. I do think since the economic booms the western world has gone down in morals etc, we just dont care about other people except ourselves anymore.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
yay for gross generalisations

Wait a second... you don't even pay any taxes.

In some way or another he's affected by them, and therefore keeps the right to bitch,
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Apocalypse_now6
meh, i would say its not too different.

the human condition never changes, don't think cause we live in the 21st century that we are better off....

I agree with you there that we are still very instinctive creatures. But I personally like to believe that in most people a conscious layer of thought prevents us from being entirely instinctual. Of course this is not always true. But racism is a good example of peoples behaviour changing apparantly outwith of instincts.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

I think it has for a variety of reasons:

1.) The younger generation
2.) The politically correctness rubbish
3.) The government
4.) Dare I say it, immigration into the country.
Quote by Guitardude19

+999999999999999999999999
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
Quote by Guitardude19

I don't think it is really possible to make huge sweeping statements about society based purely on London. Although you do aknowledge that at the start of your post.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

I do not think society has gone down the pan at all; I just think that with the giant amount of media coverage over everything, and more people becoming aware of our society it is made out to be worse than ever before.

To me, it seems that lots of people on UG are just starting to become aware of their surroundings, without knowing what it was like before their time, so they immediately assume that things are awful.

The chav problem, it's actually nothing new; it's just being hugely reported upon. We have always had a violent culture in Britain, for hundreds of years; when we fought wars with France, for instance, the English yeomanry were dragging the French royals from their horses and slicing off their heads. Without our violent culture, how do you think we conquered the world?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
no. it's not.

it just seems like it, because of 2 reasons.

a: yes, more media coverage, in the oldern days kids were beaten senseless everytime they didn't finish there meal, nowadays if that happens the media jumps all over them and show it to everyone, back then, no one would have known that little timmy didn't fall off the bunk bed.

b: because there's more of us, say back then, for example, 20% of deaths were from suicide, (this is all hypothetical) and say there's 100 people back then, that would mean 20 people commited suicide, now say there's 1,000 of us, and so now, 200 have commited suiced (i dunno if maths is right, i'm really tired)

percentages are still the same, the number is different but the result is still there.
statistically speaking, there are no more rapes, murders etc. than before.

i dunno, i think that every generation thinks their generation is the worse. i'm sure when i'm older, i will be like "back in my day..."

maybe this is because the world IS getting worse, but i can't really judge

my dad said when he was my age, voilence was never really unprovoked. he said whenever he found himself in trouble, it was because he was playing up.

bit like the famous five: "i say old chap, you're right out of order there. i think it's time we go outside and have a jolly good fight". i think they were quite posh though lol
Dunno because I wasn't alive in older generations, neither were most of you. I don't really think it can have gone down that much, I mean we don't have things like slavery any more.
No, it's always been pretty wank. Everyone who says it's gone downhill wasn't aroudn 50 years ago.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I don't have any sources, but I say it's always been this way. The media just starts paying attention to it now. Back in the 50s, people didn't want to hear about domestic abuse cases that resulted in the deaths of children, so the media didn't report it. Now, people eat that **** up. Remember, the media is a business, they do what they have to in order to sell papers and get ratings. Violence sells nowadays so where does the media turn?
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Everyone that has answered yes is a complete idiot.

Sorry to say this guys, but maybe you should learn a bit of history before you say that our society today is bad.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Meths
No, it's always been pretty wank. Everyone who says it's gone downhill wasn't aroudn 50 years ago.

You're 3 years younger than me, Meths

Oh god society is soo horrible, we all live our comfortable lives with computers in our homes, our own cars and cupboards filled with food. HOWEVER WILL WE COPE WITH THIS DISGUSTING STANDARD OF LIFE?!?
Human civilization is the best it has ever been in all of history right now.
Every problem in society can be traced back to the fucking liberals.

Fucking liberals.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
These are the pre-apocalypse years, at this very moment, society isnt as messed up as it has been previously, but my generation will see the end of human civilisation as we know it, its gonna be very bad, so no, but pretty soon, yes.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
No.
If you see the statistics, there's each time less crime all over the world.
The difference is that in the past people used to live in a bubble and keep their masks on all the time.
Nowadays, bad people don't use masks and we're slapped with the smelly reality every day.

EDIT: Hell... Back then, you'd get crucified for saying that you're the messiah, you'd get burned for not being Christian, incest was ok (ancient Egypt)...
And in modern history:
50 years ago it was normal in civilized countries to beat your wife and kids. 100 years ago it was normal to not go to school.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Apr 7, 2008,
Society has always had bad parts too it. Get over it. If you feel imtimidated by chavs, cut your hair and learn kickboxing or something.
Quote by Kensai
Everyone that has answered yes is a complete idiot.

Sorry to say this guys, but maybe you should learn a bit of history before you say that our society today is bad.

i was going to make a post that "everyone that voted yes is fucking retarded"
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by rorythefaggot
Every problem in society can be traced back to the fucking liberals.

Fucking liberals.

elaborate please? im not saying i agree or disagree im just curious to see what the **** youre talking about.
unless you were joking or some jazz.
News Channels have become entertainment channels . All of them are 24 x 7 . All of them show the same crap . At one time 20 channels report one "BREAKING NEWS !" . Idk what they think of us ?. If 20 channels are reporting the same news..How can u still classify it as a
"BREAKING NEWS !".

Sociey is going downhill because of:

1. Lack of respect
2. Fighting for no ****ing reason
3. Every religious leader wants to become next jesus.
4. Poverty and many other ****ed up reasons
Hi
Quote by abhishek21

1. Lack of respect
2. Fighting for no ****ing reason
3. Every religious leader wants to become next jesus.
4. Poverty and many other ****ed up reasons

They've all been around forever.
Quote by bob farrell
These are the pre-apocalypse years, at this very moment, society isnt as messed up as it has been previously, but my generation will see the end of human civilisation as we know it, its gonna be very bad, so no, but pretty soon, yes.

Hi
Nope, people have thought that society sucks in the present time forever. For some reason they have fond memories of times that were just as bad.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Page 1 of 2