I just got this new card a few days ago (ATI Radeon 9600 PRO for anyone who cares), and my computer case is still open and I touched it before to notice it was really hot, have I got a problem or is this normal/ish?
try leaving it to people who know what they're doing next time, yeah?
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
its probably becuase u got the case open... that card is a monster and requires good cooling

try maybe more fans or sumthing.

ive got 2 intake and 2 outtake fans and keeps it at a nice 40 degree temp. playing crysis or something
How hot is that? If it seared your skin it's way too hot, if it was just warm then it's fine. Also, don't touch your computer's components while it's on, bad idea.

Quote by andrew.tran
its probably becuase u got the case open... that card is a monster and requires good cooling

try maybe more fans or sumthing.

ive got 2 intake and 2 outtake fans and keeps it at a nice 40 degree temp. playing crysis or something

9600PRO isn't a monster :x It was the monster's little brother. And it won't run Crysis particularly well. I believe you have it confused with another card.
Last edited by Kaed15 at Apr 7, 2008,
OK, first of all NEVER EVER touch the components inside your computer when it is turned on, or when its plugged in for that matter. Secondly, you might possibly need to get better circulation in your case. Possibly with better fans or, if you are out of warranty, get a GPU fan from newegg.com. I suggest a Zalman brand, they are awesome.
Quote by Kaed15
How hot is that? If it seared your skin it's way too hot, if it was just warm then it's fine. Also, don't touch your computer's components while it's on, bad idea.

9600PRO isn't a monster :x It was the monster's little brother. And it won't run Crysis particularly well. I believe you have it confused with another card.

Lol I don't think I'll be playing Crysis anyway. It's hot enough that if I leave my finger on it it'll burn in a few seconds. It needed a 4 pin from the power supply Maybe I don't have enought power (200watt I think it is) to run the fan properly or something.

And to the other douchebag I've done card changes plenty of times this is my first time with a graphics card though. I'm not paying someone $50 to do a five minute job when I can do it myself
Graphics cards can safely run up to about 75 degrees (centigrade, which I believe is about 170 fahrenheit). After that you'll start to notice graphical glitches - if you don't see any obvious problems (as in, black squares, garbage on screen etc) then there's nothing to worry about. Even over temperatures like that damage will be extemely long term unless the card is running incredibly hot. I had a Geforce 7800 GTX running at over 100 (210 F) degrees for a short while and it still works fine with computers that have adequate cooling.

If you're worried, check that all the fans within your computer case are running, especially the one on the card itself.

And uh, having the case open isn't the problem - you can run your computer with the case open or closed and it's not gonna change the running temperature unless you have a fan on the side of your case.

EDIT: After reading your post... it shouldn't burn you. Download ATI Tray Tools and use the temperature monitoring to find out how hot it's running.
Last edited by Ultima2876 at Apr 7, 2008,
if you computer cuts out or you get beeping or warnings then it is over heating. if none of those things are happenng then don't panic.

my card idles at 65*C
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by Ultima2876
Graphics cards can safely run up to about 75 degrees (centigrade, which I believe is about 170 fahrenheit). After that you'll start to notice graphical glitches - if you don't see any obvious problems (as in, black squares, garbage on screen etc) then there's nothing to worry about. Even over temperatures like that damage will be extemely long term unless the card is running incredibly hot. I had a Geforce 7800 GTX running at over 100 (210 F) degrees for a short while and it still works fine with computers that have adequate cooling.

If you're worried, check that all the fans within your computer case are running, especially the one on the card itself.

And uh, having the case open isn't the problem - you can run your computer with the case open or closed and it's not gonna change the running temperature unless you have a fan on the side of your case.

EDIT: After reading your post... it shouldn't burn you. Download ATI Tray Tools and use the temperature monitoring to find out how hot it's running.

lol, with games mine runes near over 80-85*C
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by cyclobs
lol, with games mine runes near over 80-85*C

*shrug* I was just giving a guideline. Some cards'll have a higher tolerance to heat than others, I've had cards that have ran that high with no signs of problems either.

I guess the rule is not to worry unless you experience problems - if it ain't broke don't fix it. Or something.

TS; regarding your power supply, 200W is a bit low. It might be worth investing in something higher.
alright may seem like a stupid question but it's better to be safe than sorry right? I really feel this thing is way too hot. So untill i get it sorted out logic suggests pointing like a small external fan into the case would help cool things down a little? Or not a good idea for any reason?

EDIT maybe if i was to disconnect my floppy drive ( I never use it) the fan on the card would be getting more power
Last edited by consecutive e at Apr 7, 2008,
It'll work but be careful of a lot of dust and debris entering the case if you're leaving it open for extended periods of time. Not sure why the tray tools won't tell you the temperature though, I've never had that problem XP
Quote by saphrax
No...

yeah i just thought that one through. not the greatest idea. I guess i'll see what kinda power supplies they got at work on friday
Just make sure the PSU is compatible with your current hardware and has a rating of at least 500W and you'll be fine!

As for the cooling of the GFX cards, as mentioned above, if you aren't getting weird graphical glitches on your screen whilst gaming, then you'll be fine.