Hey, i was wondering if this was a good idea?

In my case, i was going to buy an epiphone les paul from america (I'm in australia), which is sold by an authectic business in america called "Musicians Corner", and if i did this, i will be saving hundreds of dollars including the postage from america. So would this be a good idea, buying a guitar from overseas?
my music teacher went to china for a week,
bought back so much stuff including an epiphone LP standard, as they are made in china.
it cost him around 400 AUS including the epiphone case.
they are worth, including the case, around 1000 AUS
or 900.
that shows how ripped off australia is.
anyways, just buy one from here at a cheaper price,
i'd say you could get one for 850 with a hardcase.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
i decided not to get it, might aswell get one that i know id real than one i'm taking a chance with. And australians are massive ripoffs in the music industry, i completely agree, an no i can get one from america for about 650 bucks australian, including shipping with full insurance, so you guys think get one from america is my best bet?
I was thinking about buying a guitar off american ebay but I decided to go locally and second hand instead.
You also have to think about the risks, what if your guitar gets lost or damaged.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
If i bought anything that has to do with musical instruments in Australia, i always punch myself up about it because i could get it so much more cheaper from overseas!. damn! i wish i wasn't so strapped for cash!
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by SG310user
If i bought anything that has to do with musical instruments in Australia, i always punch myself up about it because i could get it so much more cheaper from overseas!. damn! i wish i wasn't so strapped for cash!

The only problem with this is that you may purchase an amp from overseas.
Plug it in, and blow the amp immediately. All due to the difference in voltage between house holds in America and Australia.
Even picks cost a billion bucks a bundle. i bought 24 picks, $15.75!
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by howey
I was thinking about buying a guitar off american ebay but I decided to go locally and second hand instead.
You also have to think about the risks, what if your guitar gets lost or damaged.

Postal insurance mate, if it gets damged he sends out another free of charge.
Have you considered the customs fees?
Here in Sweden if I buy oversea it will most of the time cost 25% more. Curse that system...!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

If you mean the postage, it's 119 dollars, but if you mean currency wise, it's 90.00 cents to the dollar, so ozzies have it pretty good with the currency thing, we have a stable dollar. But the the freakin pound, ****, don't even try and buy anything from the UK

P.S. Lol, i just found a standard epiphone les paul for 748.00 bucks, thats the cheapest i've seen one in australia.
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\
If you mean the postage, it's 119 dollars, but if you mean currency wise, it's 90.00 cents to the dollar, so ozzies have it pretty good with the currency thing, we have a stable dollar. But the the freakin pound, ****, don't even try and buy anything from the UK

He's talking about customs, it's a completely different thing.
You bring something into the country, you get charged customs tax, on top of the price you paid for postage, and the item itself.
I don't know, you usually only find out when you receive the bill..
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\
i might just stay with buying a guitar in this country.

Sometime it's better so. If the item somehow get damaged during the shipping there's nothing you can do other than send it back by your own money or try to repair it. If that happen it will be much more expensive. At least you'd get some kind of guaranty from your local store.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I bought an extension cabinet from the states, it was the postage and customs that blew the costs right out, they cost more than the cabinet cost me to begin with.

Check EBay, Have bought most of my guitars from there, and most at extremely good prices.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
i've bought two guitars from the U.S and both turned out fine.

for the customs thing, they only charge u if the guy declares the value to be over $1000.

and i've seen epi les paul standards for $650 on ebay australia.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Last edited by macaroni at Apr 21, 2008,