Between a guy who plays lead guitar and a guy who plays rhytem?
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Rhythm guitar means chords and riffs. They're in the rhythm section with the drums and bass, maybe also keyboards.

Lead guitar generally means the guy who does the solo, and also maybe more involved riffs.
ummm... i can't exactly understand what your saying but i think i get the premise... the lead guitar is the one usually doing the solos and arpeggio's while secondary plays rhythm... If lead isn't doing that, then he's playing a different chord voicing...
let's take metallica for example. james hetfield (rhythm guitar) plays all the backing guitar parts and main riffs that involve the core of the song, and usually something like the battery riff which has a great rhythmic value.

kirk hammett (lead guitar) comes in and complements those riffs and chords with blazing solos involving some very fast guitar work. basically, his guitar takes over from the vocalist.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that lead guitarists HAVE to be fast. some great solos consist of uncomplicated melodic work, such as comfortably numb.
Very simplistically:

Lead Guitar = plays solos
Rhythm Guitar = does not
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
let's take metallica for example. james hetfield (rhythm guitar) plays all the backing guitar parts and main riffs that involve the core of the song, and usually something like the battery riff which has a great rhythmic value.

kirk hammett (lead guitar) comes in and complements those riffs and chords with blazing solos involving some very fast guitar work. basically, his guitar takes over from the vocalist.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that lead guitarists HAVE to be fast. some great solos consist of uncomplicated melodic work, such as comfortably numb.

+1111111

Just don't forget the lead guitarist actually plays all the rhythm as well.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
From the TS's sig i can tell he knows all this, perhaps it was more of a philosophical question ?
I believe when you got 2 guitarist in a band (lead and Rhythm) that can play both styles you've got yourself a great band. Prime ex: Guns n Roses were Izzy and Slash switched out like in "Nightrain" Izzy plays first solo and Slash plays the outro solo.
Quote by SmashThings
Very simplistically:

Lead Guitar = plays solos
Rhythm Guitar = does not
well, sorta. But in a more traditional sense it's more:
Lead = melody
Rhythm = accompaniment
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
James Hetfield plays some solos by the way, arguably some better than Kirk Hammett.

I suggest not going all rythm or lead because it limits your ability. Well rounded guitarists are David Gilmour, Adam Jones, Jimi Hendrix, John Frusciante, Jimmy Page to name a few. These guys play both rythm and lead, if you only learn rythm or lead it prevents you from viewing the fretboard and music in incredibly different ways.