I usually don't post pointless threads that only provoke flaming, but I also wanted to discuss this. I see a lot of 'music is dead' posts. I don't think it's because music is actually dead or dying, but because every new geneneration of music is frowned upon by the previous generations. I think many of the people saying music is dead are older than I am, and grew up listening to whatever 'modern music' was at that time. I'm 15, and I listen to a lot of new hardcore, and not much hardcore punk or styles of hardcore from it's 'better' days. I agree Myspace is all a trend that puts many undeserving bands in the spotlight, but there are also many decent bands out there. When all this 'better' music was more popular, I'm sure it had the same unfair criticism.

One of the most debated topics I see is the breakdown. Personally, I love breakdowns in music (It's become something I look for) as long as they're not extrememly generic. A breakdown can be more than strumming open triplets, and often times its used to give the listeners a place to take a break from the more busy areas of the song. It provides something with a good rhythm that they can really get into. I've heard people rule out bands with breakdowns before theyve even heard their music. When I write music for my band, I try to stay very technical and use different ideas, but we also play many breakdowns. There are still bands with good intentions, but mainstream radio and television programming isn't the place to look. Music just isn't the same as it used to be. It's no better, no worse, just different. Whether you like it or not, it will never be the same.
I think its a well stated view. And I agree. I know everyone has already labeled me as some dumb hxc faggot because of the Emmure thread, but I really do agree with you. I dont feel that music that has breakdowns is meaningless music. A lot of people, especially the older ones that like "hardcore punk" as you mentioned and a lot of metal followers as well, tend to make these judgements.

BTW, I like your band a lot. The vocals aren't that great, but the music is awesome. It seems a lot like August Burns Red, but the synth adds a great deal of variety. It sounds like a mix between born of osiris, august burns red, and the devil wears prada. The lyrics were also good in the song that I read, "mountain lions..."
Quote by Dead__Poetic

BTW, I like your band a lot. The vocals aren't that great, but the music is awesome. It seems a lot like August Burns Red, but the synth adds a great deal of variety. It sounds like a mix between born of osiris, august burns red, and the devil wears prada. The lyrics were also good in the song that I read, "mountain lions..."

I agree, to me the vocals sound a bit forced if you get what I mean.
the reason lots of band you people like are frowned upon by us are because hardcore has not "evolved" as you think it has. there are still numerous countless bands that play straight up hardcore, and although i dont have a problem at all with metalcore or deathcore if it is actually talented, lots of other bands just capitalize on things like breakdowns. "new hardcore" as you put it just tries to appeal to the masses. hardcore is not supposed to be something that every little confused teenager can get into. its when bands like devil wear prada and, scenegrind bands and shiity generic deathcore bands like emmure that ruin hardcore, because they make it something that it was never supposed to be, and STILL ISNT.

by the way, i was curious and i clicked on your band. the song that came up first was cover your legs. first i hear a wicked generic breakdown, and lets get this straight, just because you can chug on something other then triplets, its still the same freaking chord and you could easily mix it up. then i start hearing some synth, that i didnt even think was the song. i thought it was in the background. then i hear almost an exact rip of an august burns red riff. this is why i dont like most metalcore. im sorry, your band is not original. its tight, but thats it.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Last edited by pmeg568c at Apr 7, 2008,
I don't think beatdowns ruin anything, as long as they're used correctly and not to fill a void, they'll do. Problem is any band that uses them now is counted as 'hardcore'. I blame the press for all this ignorance.
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
Quote by pmeg568c
the reason lots of band you people like are frowned upon by us are because hardcore has not "evolved" as you think it has. there are still numerous countless bands that play straight up hardcore, and although i dont have a problem at all with metalcore or deathcore if it is actually talented, lots of other bands just capitalize on things like breakdowns. "new hardcore" as you put it just tries to appeal to the masses. hardcore is not supposed to be something that every little confused teenager can get into. its when bands like devil wear prada and, scenegrind bands and shiity generic deathcore bands like emmure that ruin hardcore, because they make it something that it was never supposed to be, and STILL ISNT.

by the way, i was curious and i clicked on your band. the song that came up first was cover your legs. first i hear a wicked generic breakdown, and lets get this straight, just because you can chug on something other then triplets, its still the same freaking chord and you could easily mix it up. then i start hearing some synth, that i didnt even think was the song. i thought it was in the background. then i hear almost an exact rip of an august burns red riff. this is why i dont like most metalcore. im sorry, your band is not original. its tight, but thats it.

Nailed it. I agree you guys are pretty tight (as in together) and better than alot of generic band. But yeah definitely heard the August Burns Red riff in there.
I am one of those people who gets turned off of a band because of breakdowns. I've heard them enough, maybe if there's one every 3 songs, and if it doesn't stand out ans take center stage then I don't mind as much.

For the most part, they just seem like filler. I don't care if they're finger tapping over it, or if they're sweeping over it, it's been done, to death.
this thread looks like it should be in The Pit
last.fm | Rush Hour | Dead Format
Quote by HxC73107
pray for plagues or off the heezay by bring me the horizon both great songs specially when ur at a pit at trhe reall show
Music won't ever die, it was a fascination of the Greeks 2500 years ago and no doubt if humans and the Earth survive the next 2500 years they'll be loving it too.

The problem has been explained, it is a fact that everyone is doing the same thing within genres (or thinking they're not but really are) and that the internet - as good as it is for music - has opened it up so that it so many more bands doing the same thing get heard.
It's great that you like music with breakdowns, obviously lots of people do because otherwise they wouldn't be included in so many songs, but for every person that loves something there will always be someone that detests it - think of it as one of Newton's laws.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
Music won't ever die, it was a fascination of the Greeks 2500 years ago and no doubt if humans and the Earth survive the next 2500 years they'll be loving it too.

The problem has been explained, it is a fact that everyone is doing the same thing within genres (or thinking they're not but really are) and that the internet - as good as it is for music - has opened it up so that it so many more bands doing the same thing get heard.
It's great that you like music with breakdowns, obviously lots of people do because otherwise they wouldn't be included in so many songs, but for every person that loves something there will always be someone that detests it - think of it as one of Newton's laws.

Well put, and I actually agree with you completely. I just think some people should at least try to be a little more open minded. Saying all breakdowns are used to take up time and that they're all open triplets is an uneducated generalization. It gets annoying reading about why a breakdown is stupid or a waste of time without any actual valid points behind that side of the argument. We actually incorporate breakdowns into most of our riffs such as the intro to Apple Pirate, which shows a breakdown can have a purpose in the song rather than just to take up time.

But this isn't about my band anyway. Thanks so much for all the constructive criticism(if it was meant as an insult im only taking it the best way i can anyway) and the compliments guys, but thats not what this thread is about.
Last edited by 6_6_6_1_syn at Apr 7, 2008,
I really do understand and appreciate all of your guys' opinions about how breakdowns have all been done before and what not, and to a certain extent I do agree. BUT, to combat that, I would say that even music without breakdowns often sounds like something thats been done before. I mean, really, with sooo many bands out there, its hard to come up with something entirely original. Whether its a breakdown, or just a standard riff, its probably been done before. The key, in my opinion, is distinguishing between when a band uses it to their advantage and just capitalizes on the fact that kids will like them as long as they play a breakdown, and when a band utilizes familiar forms of music, but recreates it in a way that doesn't seem mundane, and maybe adds something new to the mix. I really dont think that its fair to say that this circumstance only applies to breakdowns.
Quote by Dead__Poetic
with sooo many bands out there, its hard to come up with something entirely original.

This is basically the one sentence summary to this thread.

If people would understand this and stop saying that "Blank 1 is totally stealing Blank 2's riff!!!", and let it go (unless it IS intentional riff stealing, which is a ) then maybe the world of music, including hardcore, would be a happier place.