Gday,

I have finally decided to learn how to play arpeggios, say for example, im playing a d minor arpeggio, starting at say the 2nd frett, and want to go all the way up the neck, the shape of the arpeggio will have to change yeah, as i move up the neck to sound kosher yeah? or can i just skip the same dminor chord shape up the neck whole whole half whole whole whole half? If u know what i mean.

Ill try and explain it again, obviously u can play that a chord shape anywhere on the neck as an arpeggio or a chord and it will sound fine, but if i want to play multiple arpeggios up the neck, like a scale, i couldnt just do what ive mentioned above could I?

Any help would be great, also what is a good site or useful way to learn arpeggios's? Thanks
RG's & Mesa's
A good way to learn arpeggios assuming you have grasped the basics of the alternate picking technique is the find favourite chords and picking the notes of the chord individually then moving onto playing the same notes with a degree of staccato while raising your finger a little to deaden the note so to speak. Moving onto arpeggios is a great way to make you lead playing more fluid and lyrical. It takes many hours of constant practice and frustration but you will get it down with time. Also what plectrums are you using? A smaller pick like a Jazz Dunlop 3 or Tortex Jazz series, whatever gauge are great ways to get a fast arpeggio. They are smaller than the conventional pick and a little tricky but the smaller size lets you be more articulate in my opinion and helps with a faster picking speed due to smaller size and less weight therefore less effort to move it. Sorrry about the long post but hopefully you gain some insight to your requests.
Erm....

I think your understanding of arpeggios are "playing each note of the chord one at a time". So you fret the chord and play each note.

Well.....I don't call this an arpeggio. More just like "picking the notes". Technically I guess it must be an arpeggio, but arpeggio can have horizontal movement, and you concentrate on each tone instead of fretting the entire chord and playing it boringly.

Dm7 Arpeggio:

E||------------------8-10-||
B||---------------10------||
G||--------5-7-10---------||
D||------7----------------||
A||--5-8------------------||
E||-----------------------||

This is a very fun Dmin Triad arpeggio alternating between the Chord Inversions, so instead of being "1, b3, 5 - 1, b3, 5" it starts off "5, 1 ,b3" (second inversion) - "1, b3 ,5" (root position) then First inversion etc etc.

E||------------------------1-||
B||------------------3---3---||
G||------------2---2---2-----||
D||------3---3---3-----------||
A||----5---5-----------------||
E||--5-----------------------||
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Last edited by Eternal_One at Apr 7, 2008,
I think your understanding of arpeggios are "playing each note of the chord one at a time". So you fret the chord and play each note.

In music, an arpeggio is a broken chord where the notes are played or sung in succession rather than simultaneously . Taken from the wikipedia website.

I only said arpeggiated chords are a good way to learn because they are familar to the player and a good basis to move on futher to more advanced 'sweeping arpeggios'.
Humm find an exhisting scale.
Try A Major for example.

Apply the Arpegio pattern to fit the scale and it should run the whole the neck when following the full scale I think that would be a quick short solution.
Last edited by WickedZero at Apr 8, 2008,