i was wondering about V guitars and how to play them sitting down. what shapes are easyer to play sitting down (rhoads, flying V, esp ninja, esp alexi lahio sig) does it take ages to get used to playing it sitting down. are there any advantages of getting a V shape guitar?
I put the fork of the V on my right leg (Left for a lefty guitar) and put my foot on something in front of me to keep the guitar from sliding off...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
In my expirience (I have played ESP Vs, Gibsons, Epiphones, Jacksons etc) Vs are fine to play sat down, just put em BETWEEN your legs, strange to start with, but i do it with all my guitars these days.

Some are a bit nasty on the ribs though, hurts if they hit you.
Quote by scarsonbroadway
i was wondering about V guitars and how to play them sitting down. what shapes are easyer to play sitting down (rhoads, flying V, esp ninja, esp alexi lahio sig) does it take ages to get used to playing it sitting down. are there any advantages of getting a V shape guitar?

IMO, they're more comfortable then strat shaped guitars when played standing up. I also wear my guitars pretty low.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
if you put your leg in the v for the gibson flying v, the guitar is pretty much upright
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
I played a V today, it felt pretty awkward and uncomfortable. I find V guitars easier to play if you play them in the "classical" position.
I just recently got a Jackson Rhodes and it does feel a bit wierd having it sit in your crotch, but its starting to feel normal now. Plus you look hot when you stand up anyway.
wouldn't a normal guitar strap solve this problem? with a guitar strap you can sit without worrying about he guitar slipping.
I have a V and standing up is no problem
Sitting down I used to hook the wing between my legs and play

It's uncomfortable to start till you get used to it
yeah, on my old one you had to shove the spike under your leg, you look a bit of a twat sitting, but it's more comfortable.
didnt take me long to get used to sitting down with v's
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by grunger
you dont get one, get a gibson les paul.

good thinking
IMO, sitting with V's is a sinch, and I honestly play better that way.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Put your leg in between the spikes.
Sorted.

Quote by mafropetee
IMO, sitting with V's is a sinch, and I honestly play better that way.

Well, obviously.
Your hand is far closer to the neck.
R E G G A E
would they let u take a strap into a store (say guitar center for example) and play one standing up. ive tried v's in my local and its annoying to sit down when im not used to it.
Quote by Ali-b912
would they let u take a strap into a store (say guitar center for example) and play one standing up. ive tried v's in my local and its annoying to sit down when im not used to it.

Most likely.
Just make sure it's secure before you play, as Vs have a tendency to be very neck-heavy, and fall off a lot of straps.
R E G G A E
Maybe I'm just meant to play V's but I never had a problem with them sitting down. I guess I'm buit for it.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
Maybe I'm just meant to play V's but I never had a problem with them sitting down. I guess I'm buit for it.

I love it.
Sweeping becomes 10 times easier.
R E G G A E
the way i play my v sitting is like this:

put your left foot on the floor on its side, ankle down
rest your right foot on your left foot, like a classical foot stand
hold the top wing of the v in place using your right elbow, keep your right wrist on the bridge, gives an easier time picking or fingering

if u find your left ankle is uncomfortable, u can buy a classical guitar foot stand

also try to buy one that has a rubber pad on the bottom, the extra friction on mine meant its never slipped while sitting down
Nothing really matters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGuitar
I'm only responsible for the Korean jizz...

I never thought I'd say those words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_haeni
Bahah, i just got BUTSECKS to work.
Sitting down, I play almost always in classical position, which is a habit I gained from playing my V. Far more easier for me.

Standing up, they tend to be unbalanced, which might be a nuisance, but not much more.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish

Standing up, they tend to be unbalanced, which might be a nuisance, but not much more.

Only if your guitar is not well made.

I almost never sit down with my V, but if I do, I hold it with my right knee between the 2 guitar legs and the neck almost straight up.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Last edited by Ventor at Apr 7, 2008,
Quote by grunger
you dont get one, get a gibson les paul.

good thinking
V shaped guitars are a bit nerdy imo.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Just put your guitar on your right thigh if you are right handed and then let the headstock lean to the left and play, that is what I always do and its pretty comfortable, took me 2 weeks to get used to it.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Just one question.Does Jackson Kelly play similiar like Vs or like starts?Can I play it more comfortably in a 'normal' position then V?
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Megallica Dude
Just one question.Does Jackson Kelly play similiar like Vs or like starts?Can I play it more comfortably in a 'normal' position then V?

Yes Kelly's play more like a strat, there's not sloped side that will slide off your leg when you put it down.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
Yes Kelly's play more like a strat, there's not sloped side that will slide off your leg when you put it down.

Ok,thanks
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
I just got a Gibson faded flying V (very good guitar imo), and it is very comfortable sitting down. Not only that but it is near perfectly balanced with a strap standing up. It all boils down to opinion. If it is going to bother you too much get a different shape. Just go to a music store, experiment with different positions , and see if you're comfortable with it. It is nice to have a cool looking guitar, but you should ultimately go for comfort and sound.
Something I think is a good idea is a system i saw on a headless bass that had a rectangular body. When you wanted to play it sitting down there was a small plastic bit which you could open so it wouldn't slide off. Like this:

I like that idea, its more comfortable for me.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
I own one and its fine. Sitting down with em is fine. Standing up is easy too. Great guitars. Mines a Gibson V. I dont know how the Jacksons are.