just to record a track to put on my UG profile, i have to have like $1500 worth of recording equiptment!!!???
Last edited by Agent_darkbooty at Apr 7, 2008,
you can always just use a single microphone hooked to to your computer or a line in.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
you need a $30 mic and a $3 adapter to hook upto your soundcard and record with audacity
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Agent_darkbooty
just to record a track to put on my UG profile, i have to have like $1500 worth of recording equiptment!!!???

Which one of us said that?
There is poetry in despair.
The cheapest you can make a recording for is about $3, in which you'll need a 1/4" to 1/8" jack adaptor.

You can do a damn good recording too, I've heard stuff on here done with audacity that is almost as good as what you'd get done in a recording studio.
ok ppl, draw me a frickin map! me = n00b! What do I need, how do I set it up...etc.
Note:
i dont have a laptop, or recording software. just a reg. Dell PC!
Quote by Agent_darkbooty
ok ppl, draw me a frickin map! me = n00b! What do I need, how do I set it up...etc.
Note:

oooo i understand now i thought u were like i have 1500 dollars of equipment , lol... but u want some equipment

u can set up with a little desktop recorder, dont no what they are really called. 200 dollars software comes with and ur set, also just a mic
Your cheapest option would be guitar > 1/4" to 1/8" adapter > PC line in on your PC's sound card. Using Audacity or Reaper (both free) to capture the recording. Results using this method vary, so don't expect anything even demo quality. In fact don't be disappointed if you don't get any usable recordings at all.

Next cheapest, look at musicians friend and pick up a $30 dollar USB interface. Usually they offer just a single 1/4" instrument input so you can at least get a guitar/bass track down.

Next look at a traditional recording interface with at least 2 analog inputs, built in preamps and, XLR and 1/4' inputs and such. You can pick these up starting from about $100 for the cheapest units. For a desktop PC take a look at the M-Audio Delta units. They are PCI based and are very cost effective.

As far as software, some units come with software and some don't You can always fall back on Audacity and Reaper.

What's your budget?

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Or if you have a digital camera that can record video's all you need to do is record yourself with it and transfer the video to your pc.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Agent_darkbooty
Note:

Read the sticky. Then come back.
Quote by Agent_darkbooty

$1500?
says who?

all you really need is a toneport GX...and an adapter for a mic...as well as a dynamic mic, should not cost anything over $200 and MF has a huge sale on now:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Toneport-GX-USB-Recording-Interface?sku=241406

you really dotn need the interface but it will give much better recording quality compared to using a line in or something on a stock dell.

read the stickies and tweaks guide...
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 7, 2008,
my most basic setup only cost a grand total of $200 and i was able to get decent quality.

I've upgraded since.. but one of the tunes on my profile was done with the $200 dollar setup, and the other with the upgraded setup, Approximately $600

see if you tell which one!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
If you just want to record guitar on to your computer, then you could easily get away with a couple hundred dollars.

If you're actually interested in the art of audio recording, you'll definitely need to spend some more.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Agent_darkbooty
Note:

Why would you need a laptop to record?
I'm a person.
haha, yeah i wouldn't record with a laptop at all. Tbh, i would save my money on a portable MTR, and upload those tracks onto a PC for futher editing/mixing.

But i could totally see why poeople would use a laptop for recording.
Recording is like playing guitar. You can get away with cheap tools for ridiculously cheap and be done with it. Or you can get more serious and learn a lot, practice a lot, and spend a pretty good chunk of change along the way.

Damn.... if only I had more money to buy recording gear...

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.