alright so a little disclaimer, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the inner workings of an amplifier, so if this is some standard issue that is easily fixed and happens all the time then my bad

okay, so I play a 1957 silvertone all-tube head through a 2x12 cab of the same year and make. starting about two days ago, when I turn the head on nothing happens. its definately plugged in to a power socket and that socket definately works (tested it with my bass amp). at first i thought maybe the indicator light just wasnt working but if left "on" for a few minutes then switched to "operate" its as dead as a doornail.

is this something I can fix? or someone else can diagnose? i'm hoping its something super easy like just replacing the tubes but once you get past "how do you turn this thing on" I get lost.

thanks for any help!
Is it hooked up to the cab with proper impedances?
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

well, yea, i think it's the tubes. Should be no problem, just make sure u unplug the amp before trying to screw them out^^
Quote by MaxN
alright so a little disclaimer, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the inner workings of an amplifier, so if this is some standard issue that is easily fixed and happens all the time then my bad

okay, so I play a 1957 silvertone all-tube head through a 2x12 cab of the same year and make. starting about two days ago, when I turn the head on nothing happens. its definately plugged in to a power socket and that socket definately works (tested it with my bass amp). at first i thought maybe the indicator light just wasnt working but if left "on" for a few minutes then switched to "operate" its as dead as a doornail.

is this something I can fix? or someone else can diagnose? i'm hoping its something super easy like just replacing the tubes but once you get past "how do you turn this thing on" I get lost.

thanks for any help!

If you're going to play a 50 year old amp, you might want to take some time out to learn about it's inner workings. The Silvertones are all hand-wired, and pretty easy to work on if you know a little bit about it. I suggest you find an amp tech, and ask if you can look over his shoulder while he goes over your amp.

It's likely the tubes, but a budget amp that's half a century old might have a couple other issues. It could definitely need a cap replacement. Spend a couple bucks on an overhaul. You have a cool amp there, it's worth investing in.

Quote by FlexXxi
well, yea, i think it's the tubes. Should be no problem, just make sure u unplug the amp before trying to screw them out^^

You should undergo a lot of preparation before you try to screw out a tube, especially being that they plug in and out.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Is there a fuse in it? But if it's that old and you don't know anything about amps (I mean the inner workings), I just suggest you take it to someone who can repair it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Take it to a tech. Even if it's something simple like a fuse, he'll be able to diagnose it better than we can over the internet. No matter what's wrong with it, you need to get it fitted for a 3-prong power cord if it doesn't have one (It won't if it's original IIRC).
For a 50-year old amp, I agree that you should take it to a tech. I strongly advise getting into at least the basics of amp repair and maintenance, but in the immediate future you should take it to a good tech.

Chances are, the fuse has blown because the tubes have reached the end of their life - but even so the amp will need to be rebiased with new valves. However, the problem is that with a vintage amp literally anything can go wrong - your caps should probably have been replaced by now, and after 50 years there's alot of other things that could have packed in too.