looking for a new tube amp in the $500-$1000 price range. It needs to do high gain well with decent cleans. I was considering a 6505+, a B-52 AT100, or a Valveking head. my main considerations are sound quality, build quality, reliability. thanks in advance for any help.
dude, no matter what you do, get a tube amp. they always handle natural distortion really well for a rock/blues tone, and they are so much fuller than any solid-state
My Gear:
'94 Ibanez RX20
'88 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Frontman 25w Practice Amp
'78-85 Stage 65W Combo Amp
Electro Harmonix Metal Muff and Small Clone
Boss Digital Delay and Floor Tuner
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
The only one I've had experience with is the Valveking, which should be great for what you're looking for. As far as I know it has better cleans than the 6505+.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
would the valveking give me good high gain sound with a good od or distortion pedal? i know the 6505+ has excellent high gain, but would the valveking be more versatile. i don't have any experience with the B-52's i hear they have a mesa like sound, but i 've never got a chance to play through one. i was interested in the bugeras but i'll hold out on them for a while to see how they stand up in the long run.
Quote by jw3092
would the valveking give me good high gain sound with a good od or distortion pedal? i know the 6505+ has excellent high gain, but would the valveking be more versatile. i don't have any experience with the B-52's i hear they have a mesa like sound, but i 've never got a chance to play through one. i was interested in the bugeras but i'll hold out on them for a while to see how they stand up in the long run.

The Valveking has pretty high gain, and you can push it even farther with a good OD. I really put it to the test when I was amp shopping last month.. I was going to get one myself, but I preferred the vintage-y voicing of the Classic 50.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by jw3092

yeahh you could, but you would have to get a decent od pedal, if you get a ****ty one it will just make things worse.
but it looks like a vk would be a good idea for you, as the cleans on the 6505's/5150's are not that great.
plus they are cheaper.
i don't know much about OD pedals as i have no experience with them, but maybe a tubescreamer, or a maxxon od pedal would work?
i prefer the distortion that comes out of my 5150.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab