Thunder! Nah nah nah nah nah (AC/DC)

I bought a Tiny Terror on Friday and loved it so much that I decided to return it and order a Orange Thunderverb 50! So I guess I'm joining the Orange family.

I have a Traynor YCV50Blue, which is a 50W all tube amp, and the extension cabinet. I'll be selling that, even though it sure has served me well.

I think I'll order two 1x12 cabs since I'll be jamming with my buddy who plays the drums. I would get the 2x12, which I understand sounds better, but it'll be easier to lug one or two 1x12s. I have another friend who plays guitar so we might share the bass duty.

I wonder if you could use the 1x12s for the bass or would it just rattle them apart/blow them? Might have to get some kind of cheapie bass cabinet then.

I'm stoked!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome! Make sure you post a thread when you get it, it'll be interesting to hear some opinions on the amp.

I think you'd have to use a bass cab if you were using it as a bass amp.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Aggreed, you'll blow guitar speakers using it as a bass amp. But awesome grab. I kinda like the idea of two 1x12"s, for guitar.
Now there's an idea!

Quote by davedoom
should have kept the TT - sold the Traynor and STILL bought the TV
I'll try to give some kind of coherent opinions on the head when I get it, but I haven't been playing that long and haven't tried a whole bunch of amps. I'll try to post some clips when I do get it. It's supposed to come in next week, but I have a feeling I might be in for a long wait. We'll see.

Quote by timi_hendrix
Awesome! Make sure you post a thread when you get it, it'll be interesting to hear some opinions on the amp.

I think you'd have to use a bass cab if you were using it as a bass amp.
At low volumes the bass wouldn't do really anything bad to the speakers.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by acdcrocks0323
How much for the Traynor do you think?

I was just gonna ask that
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
How much will that Traynor be? Minus the extension...and what are the life of the tubes/tube brand/etc...

I was thinking of buying that exact same model.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Sorry for delay in response. Are you asking how much I'd sell it for? I'm actually selling it local. I'm getting a good trade in value against some Orange cabinets from my shop. I'll try to Craig's list it and if I don't get more I'll just trade them in.

They usually go $740ish US (less on Ebay):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075

Sweet amp, and it's unique. Not too many blue amps out there

Quote by Slaytanic1993
How much will that Traynor be? Minus the extension...and what are the life of the tubes/tube brand/etc...

I was thinking of buying that exact same model.
Quote by JackoMBA
Thunder! Nah nah nah nah nah (AC/DC)

I bought a Tiny Terror on Friday and loved it so much that I decided to return it and order a Orange Thunderverb 50! So I guess I'm joining the Orange family.

I have a Traynor YCV50Blue, which is a 50W all tube amp, and the extension cabinet. I'll be selling that, even though it sure has served me well.

I think I'll order two 1x12 cabs since I'll be jamming with my buddy who plays the drums. I would get the 2x12, which I understand sounds better, but it'll be easier to lug one or two 1x12s. I have another friend who plays guitar so we might share the bass duty.

I wonder if you could use the 1x12s for the bass or would it just rattle them apart/blow them? Might have to get some kind of cheapie bass cabinet then.

I'm stoked!!!!!!!!!!

That makes no sense to me. If you loved it, why didn't you keep it?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Yep, pretty much want some money for the new Orange Love. I know that if I keep it it'll just gather dust + take up space in my "studio". I certainly don't "need" Orange but I've been wanting it for a while so why not.

Quote by turbulenced
^ He wants money for his new orange.
That thing is sexy! Nice choice!
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
^Killer rig, Jacko! That LP looks like a slice of heaven.

The separate 1x12 cabs and head are like those "micro-stacks" you see from Marshall and Krank, but yours is way cooler.

Oh, and +1 on Go Giants!
Quote by JackoMBA
Sorry for delay in response. Are you asking how much I'd sell it for? I'm actually selling it local. I'm getting a good trade in value against some Orange cabinets from my shop. I'll try to Craig's list it and if I don't get more I'll just trade them in.

They usually go $740ish US (less on Ebay):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075

Sweet amp, and it's unique. Not too many blue amps out there

Actually i got mine for
600 brand new on an ebay store. I'd say the most you can get is 450 because of that.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
whats the difference in sound between the orange and the traynor?
i have a 'white guitar'
Hmmmmm tasty orange!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Wow, that little stack looks awesome!

Bet it sounds great too! CLIPPPPSSSSSS
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
GAS is immense right now.

On my list of thing I want is a Thunderverb 50, another 1x12 to make a micro stack, and a les paul with EMGs.

You have no idea of the envy I have right now.
cliiiiips

that rig is made of win, mate
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
That rig is win.
I want some clips though! and more pr0ns!
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yeah it's a super sweet rig. I have to mic it up and play some clips. I'm going to my guitar shop to pick 1/2 a dozen overdrive/distortion pedals (and return most of course) today.

The attenuator is frickin' amazing. The think can blast the paint off the walls or play "whisper quiet" as their site says. I never tried an attenuator, thinking that it might cut the output in half, but I can crank it to 8 or 9 and up the attenuator and it'll be quiet to play all night.

I'll try to post some clips in a few days.
Does the TV have a built in attenuator? I saw the demo that Chappers did on youtube, and he kept referring to the attenuator, but I thought that might have been one he installed.

Or does it have one built in?
Quote by JackoMBA
Yeah it's a super sweet rig. I have to mic it up and play some clips. I'm going to my guitar shop to pick 1/2 a dozen overdrive/distortion pedals (and return most of course) today.

The attenuator is frickin' amazing. The think can blast the paint off the walls or play "whisper quiet" as their site says. I never tried an attenuator, thinking that it might cut the output in half, but I can crank it to 8 or 9 and up the attenuator and it'll be quiet to play all night.

I'll try to post some clips in a few days.

What's the gain on it like? Is it more harsh than something compared to the Rockerverb, or is it more vintage gain like the AD series? For a while now, I've been stuck between a TV50, RV50, and an AD30.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
wait. you never tried the attenuator, but you're commenting on it?
not sure if you saw my question, how'd it compare soundwise to the traynor
i have a 'white guitar'
Yes the TV has a built in attenuator. What a dream for playing late at night. You know when you have an amp where you hear nothing, nudge it a bit more clockwise then BRAAAAARRRRRRR. None of that.

Comparing the Traynor and TV50, the biggest thing that jumps out is the reverb. The TV burries the Traynor in that regard. The sound seems to somehow sparkle ... in a good way. They same to have about the same level of gain, which isn't quite enough for Slayer Metallica sounds, which is why I'm getting a distortion/overdrive pedal. Apparently the Rockverb 50 has more gain, but again not enough for hardcore metal.

Imma play with the set up some more tonight. I might be able to record a few clips.
****ing yes!!! you have no idea how excited i am to see this thread. for i just bought a TV50 as well!!!!!! holy garbage!!! you have the advantage of getting to play yours already, as mine is at my house awaiting my return from the ocean (you may have read about that on the orange forum). i have, in boxes waiting to be opened, a thunderverb 50 head, PPC412 cab, covers for both, and two orange footswitches. talk about christmas in june (5 more days!!! i cant wait!!!)

so i was going to start a thread about it, but, god i hate to drop this cliche, you stole my thunder. so naturally, a FULL review will be provided within the next week. and pics of course. i cant wait to run all my pedals through that FX loop. but of course i have a MILLION questions for you, as im sure you are aware there is next to NO literature aboutn the beast on the web, and what is there is usually carelessly copied and pasted from the TV200 articles. shameless. most everything feature wise, i know already. yes it has a built in attenuator, yes attenuators are awesome and should have been being put into amps vice master volumes ever since they were perfected (some of the first attenuators were gargbage) you covered my question of how good the quality is on the attenuator itself. i didnt think they would put anything but the best in there of course.

but how does it SOUND. mostly i am just anxious as all hell, having dropped over 3 grand on an amp i have never played. i have played the 200 though, and hundreds of EL34 amps. and i know it is going to be good. but the obvious questions remain: turn the gain all the way up, what kind of distortion do you hear? classic rock? hard rock? metal? any band examples to relate it to? set it clean. what do you hear? angels singing in the heavens? i mean, its EL34 and its orange, so its brit voiced of course, but how is it character wise?
how is the reverb? how does feel to OWN the friggin thing?

sorry to blast you with all this, but as you were waiting for yours to arrive, im sure you can imagine how i feel having it waiting for me at home in a box, having been in the middle of the ocean the last 7 months playing through my epi VJ. rig pics will surely follow as well, and clips if i can get em (should be no problem)

bottom line, welcome to a very small club and rock on!!!
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
sorry, missed the post about the gain and the reverb. a little excited perhaps. still, tell me stories!!! hahaha

EDIT: also, looking at flight cases for mine (affordable-cases.com, if you're interested as well, goes for all of you with precious gear) and i am trying to decide between black, grey, orange, red or olive drab green. all would look insanely great. what do you think? i think maybe the orange is too obvious, the army green would look great with it, the red would clash but i LOVE red tolexed amps and flight cases, grey would look pretty sharp i think and you dont see it that often, and black i wouldnt have to worry about the color fading or getting beat up, and it looks good on any stage. im kinda swaying towards the green.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Last edited by Y0UNGBL00D at May 29, 2008,
so, any more glorious tales about this thing? 16 more hours until i get to try mine!!!
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
oh.. my....god. so im back in the real world, and have had a decent ammount (but not NERLY enough) of time with my new thunderverb 50. so i submit this, a first-look review:

first off, after cutting everything out of their respective boxes and immediately donning the tshirt i got with it (hey, ive been at sea and all my shirts were dirty) iheaved the amazingly and oh-so-comfortably heavy head onto the cab and just stared. absolutely stunningly beautiful. even the friends present who know nothing of amps, who i expected to say "wow, it's um, orange." or something like that, marveled in the glory.
after a trip to a local shop for a speaker cable which i forgot to bring home, i fired it up. after playing a VJ for so long, it took a while to get used to the volume/gain relationship and to dial in some comfortable tones using the tone stack and shape control. i ended up using channel B as my clean and A as my drive.
with the shape control at high noon, and a little reverb, the cleans are AMAZING. the kind that cause vibrations in your chest and turn you into goo. the reverb is unlike anything i have heard, not so much the quality, which is ALSO the best, but more pointedly the actual sound of it. its not really classifiable as a spring, hall or room sound. it is a haunting, ghostly echo that lingers beautifully. as was said somewhere before, a little goes a LONG way. but its as if from 1-2 is a drastic increase, but from 3-6 or 7 is more subtle, adjusting the decay time. brilliant. w ran an SG with a 94 in the neck and a 500T in the bridge, the middle position sounded amazing. the strat really shown through on the clean as well, as could have been predicted. great blues from the neck, great indy tones from the middle and bridge. couldnt quite get a surf tone with the bridge/middle strat and reverb up, but that is more in the fender territory anyway, just was seeing if i could do it. but the reverb style doesnt really lend itself to the surfy stuff. the spring setting on my grail takes care of that though. problem solved.
which brings me to the FX loop. works as well as i hoped, with my deluxe memory man and grail in the loop and all the rest of my amptesting set of pedals ran inline. the memory man turned my whole earth upside down with the cleans. pristine.
then of course, after a few beers and a few riffs, with a few friends there to egg me on, lets crank it up! i resisted the urge to go full bore immediately and steadily increased as i went. the overdrive tones on this thing OOZE the spirit of UK rock. stunningly beautiful and full of harmonics and chime. not to mention chest thumping power and punch like a prizefighter. very tight, but loose where it counts, beautiful and powerful. at full crank, volume and gain to the hilt, the attenuator proved not only essential but VERY effective and very transparent. everything i hoped it would be. the gain at full gives JUST enough to chug on some older metal and great lead tones. metallica guys and up might want another distortion pedal, and my metal muff worked perfectly. this thing with the metal muff in it is BRUTAL. literally. like getting hit by a truck with every pick attack. immense.
there is a LOT more to learn about this beautiful beast, and will follow as i have the chance.
there's gotta be downsides, right? the only one i can see so far is that i thought i would have a lot more clean headroom with 50W. to get loud cleans you have to ride a fine line between volume and gain. but thosed versed in orange as well as a lot of other amps will be able to dial it in.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery