Howdy. I was wondering what the ease would be of putting humbuckers on a basic Mexican-made strat. Also, I was wondering if, for a metal player such as myself, this would be of major benefit over the single-coil pickups. I'm just starting to get back into the swing of electric (finally got a decent amp yesterday) and so I'm looking at getting the most out of my sound.
Humbuckers sound much better through distortion than the single coils. other than that just expiriment until you get your desired sound.....what kind of amp did you get?
Bennetts_strat
Registered confuser.

you can just get a HSS mexican strat with a humbucker already in them. or if you already have a single coil i think all you have to do is get a new pickguard because strats are wired for humbuckers
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
you can just get a HSS mexican strat with a humbucker already in them. or if you already have a single coil i think all you have to do is get a new pickguard because strats are wired for humbuckers

no some routing is required.
You can put single coil size humbuckers such as Seymour Duncan Hot Rails for higher gain music

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by isaac311
You can put single coil size humbuckers such as Seymour Duncan Hot Rails for higher gain music

agree, maiden use them...i think that is enough.

to you that say you get much "better" distortion with a humbucker, you don´t. you get a fatter tone but it hasn´t got to be better. i love the sound i get from my single coils.
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by isaac311

So these will fit into my single coil strat without any routing?
Quote by Ferrarone
agree, maiden use them...i think that is enough.

to you that say you get much "better" distortion with a humbucker, you don´t. you get a fatter tone but it hasn´t got to be better. i love the sound i get from my single coils.

iron maiden uses dimarzio super distortion

but to be on topic, dimarzio makes super distortions that are strat sized.

i think they're called super distortion S
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Apr 7, 2008,
Quote by itchy guitar

but they have used hotrails? if not, my guitarist magazine is wrong

EDIT:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Fender/Iron+Maiden+Signature+Stratocaster/10/1

haha! the "single coils" they use are seymour duncans!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
I think Dave Murray of Iron Maiden usually uses either a JB Junior (a SC-sized HB) or a DM Super Distortion on the bridge for rhythm, with a hotrails on the neck for his lead tone.
Before you buy anything, unscrew your pickguard and see if the bridge position is routed for a humbucker already. I'm pretty sure most SSS MIMs nowadays are, but you should check.
Quote by itchy guitar

Dave Murry uses a dimarzio humbucker. Adrian Smith uses hot rails and the other guy uses JB juniors. 2/3 of the guys use single coil sized humbuckers
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
I dropped 2 humbuckers in this strat style guitar, with no previous expericence. Just ask around for help if you need it

Quote by ObiMcD
So these will fit into my single coil strat without any routing?

Yep, but don't expect it to sound exactly like a humbucker. It sounds 'fatter' than a single coil but not as 'fat' as an actual humbucker. As long as you don't expect it to sond exactly like a humbucker you won't be disappointed. My guitar instructor uses one on his strat and I can say that it sounds as metal as it gets. Still it's pretty versatile.
One more thing: Let a tech at the store you buy the pickup from install it for you. They'll charge an additional twenty bucks, but it's worth it, as you save yourself the hassle of wiring and adjusting it yourself.