Ok I've decided that I want to make this Ibanez GIO into a guitar like Petrucci's Ibanez one. I'm probably gonna keep this guitar in drop C, put a floyd on it, and replace the all electronics. I don't actually know how to do that though. Anybody? And where can I get pickups close to petrucci's?

I want to make it awesome. I understand that that will take work and i'm probably better off buying another guitar, but i'm choosing to do this for the purpose of getting experience.

Where can I get the Petrucci paintjob measurements?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Apr 7, 2008,
New electronics? Be specific?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
As in completely redoing them. And possibly adding stuff. I don't know what stuff cause i'm a noob at customizing, which is why i'm doing this.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
i didnt think floyds "liked" drop tunings?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I'm pretty sure that's only for changing tunings. If you adjust the springs in the back you can keep it in drop whatever (I'm not sure though).
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
oh right. like using a tremol-no? they look legendary

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Psychedelico
I'm pretty sure that's only for changing tunings. If you adjust the springs in the back you can keep it in drop whatever (I'm not sure though).

Yup, you just have to pop the back open and adjust the bracket that holds the springs to the body. After you re-tune it check out the Ultimate FR Setup guide in the electrics forums.

In the time before you get a second instrument you can also use those tremel-no's or two blocks of wood that fit snug in the cavities between the big metal block that extends into the body and is accessed through the back.
what? a hardtail? I'm not talking about a hardtail. I'm talking about putting a FR on a guitar and adjusting the springs so that the thing stays in tune.

and to the wet blanket:

theory is only worth so much. I'm gonna read up on stuff before I mess around with the guitar anyway.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by uRizen
Yup, you just have to pop the back open and adjust the bracket that holds the springs to the body. After you re-tune it check out the Ultimate FR Setup guide in the electrics forums.

In the time before you get a second instrument you can also use those tremel-no's or two blocks of wood that fit snug in the cavities between the big metal block that extends into the body and is accessed through the back.

yeah that's what i planned to do.

anybody got any other ideas? any comments?

also how do i post pics?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, I'm trying to save you the time and pain I went through when I first modded a guitar. A little research will tell you that a Floyd is a very expensive and complicated instalation, but pickup replacements and paintjobs are relativly simple and fun, for instance. I'm not trying to discourage you, mate. I'd just hate to think that anyone else would have to spend 4 hours sanding off stripes that they painted OVER the gloss finish of their first Squier Strat....

EDIT: Post pictures buy uploading them to photobucket, then copying the tag into your post.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
a Floyd is a very expensive and complicated instalation

+1. don't you have to basically tear your guitar up to install one? i'd never do that...plus it's probably cheaper just to buy another floyd rose-equipped guitar..

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
+1. don't you have to basically tear your guitar up to install one? i'd never do that...plus it's probably cheaper just to buy another floyd rose-equipped guitar..

A good Floyd, even used, tends to run $100+, and routing is (in my opinion) harder to learn properly than soldering.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, I'm trying to save you the time and pain I went through when I first modded a guitar. A little research will tell you that a Floyd is a very expensive and complicated instalation, but pickup replacements and paintjobs are relativly simple and fun, for instance. I'm not trying to discourage you, mate. I'd just hate to think that anyone else would have to spend 4 hours sanding off stripes that they painted OVER the gloss finish of their first Squier Strat....

EDIT: Post pictures buy uploading them to photobucket, then copying the tag into your post.

Thanks. I figured it wouldn't be a walk the park, but i'm not gonna blindly rush into anything. I don't even have supplies yet.

EDIT: Pics are on their way.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you

I was thinking of making it look like petrucci's guitar. How would I go about finding measurements? (The Ibanez one)
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Anybody have anything? For the people that answered earlier, I changed my original post.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
get a wilkinson 2 point system a roller nut an some decent tuners
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny