Page 1 of 3
Well?

I've recently started playing and the only excersises i know are the 1 2 3 4 (you know what i mean) and a finger excersise one. What else could i do?
scales, chords?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Yeah, but i meant which ones?

As in could you tab it out or linky please
Well, you should try the penatonic scales, or any other easy scale, to work your way up
I do a picking exercise up and down each string along the entire length of the neck, then I usually go into a few scales.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I like to start with Every Rose has its thorn. Get my chords going and wail on those relatively simple solos. Then I move on to a song that is a bit faster, maybe like Back in Black or something. I'll occasionally start with scales if I'm working on getting my finger speed up, but usually Im just trying to relax.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Miley Cyrus songs.

GTFO

I play warmups like you're doing, then i put my guitar down and get something to eat. Then pick my guitar back up. I usually repeat this process until i have to use the bathroom, in which case i either sit or stand. But i dont really do any playing....thats for people who know what they are doing. I learn through osmosis; slepping on the guitar.
Quote by dogismycopilot
GTFO

I play warmups like you're doing, then i put my guitar down and get something to eat. Then pick my guitar back up. I usually repeat this process until i have to use the bathroom, in which case i either sit or stand. But i dont really do any playing....thats for people who know what they are doing. I learn through osmosis; slepping on the guitar.

That made me laugh.

I do the warmups myself. Always remember, that exercise goes to the limit of your metronome.

Then it depends on what I want to work on.

Sequencing?
Tapping?
New licks from other artists?

Or, my chugging speed.

Like, you know, \m/ HEAVY METAL \m/

Or, a train. Samething. they both chug.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
Izzy's part of sweet child of mine (only because i cant play slash's)
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I usually play Black Dog or Under the Bridge first - helps to warm up my fingers.

On bass I start off with the slap version of Master of Puppets - another good finger warm up.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Some licks from "Far Beyond The Sun" - Yngwie

It has most of the things I need to warm up.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Something fun to do with chords and notes usually; Highway to Hell by AC/DC get me all chorded up, and Sweet Child O' Mine covers the finger warm-ups. Or sometimes the intro to Stairway to Heaven to warm up my picking hand.
sad but true -metallica intro.
then usually scales ect...
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
I normally start with like a finger warmer so: Stepping Out, Hideaway, Plug In Baby. Then i go off on whatever tangent im digging at the time.
Quote by Rorok_89
Black Dog´s main riff!

+1

that, purple haze or scales G minor G major C major C minor
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Well, I have a book of stuff to help me gain skill (beginner edition, due to my current skill level), which I use to play whichever excersizes that I am working on at the time, and then whatever else I can find that I think is appropriate for that practice session.

Then, I like to play every chord I know until every single note is coming out clearly.
I then play the only scale I know (minor pentatonic, i.e. "Blues Scale"), but I use it in a excersize which covers everything to the 13th fret, and back.

Next , I play the song (or songs) that I am learning or working to improve.
Then, I play whichever song I feel like playing (I know about 30 assorted intros, segments, chorus, and verses.)for fun.

Finally (sp?), to close off my epic session of practice, I improvise, or try to find cool noises, and make up my own solos.

All in all, I don't usually get to do all the things listed here (I blame schools), but when I get a day off, I practice my head off!
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Last edited by JackWhite333 at Apr 7, 2008,
Lately, it's been some Strapping Young Lad and Vader

But, usually, I'm playing Opeth, Nile, Death, and Kreator.

But, for like actually practicing stuff?

Errr....

I practice the harmonic minor scales all the time, and plenty of chromatics, I also practice major and minor pentatonics.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Usually a very short classical riff, followed by Metallica's Fade to Black, in which case I've got my chords, fingerpicking and soloing warmed up
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I like to warm up with a little cheese (Spinal Tap, Sons of Butcher) and the I move into the drill of the week.
Quote by JackWhite333
Well, I have a book of stuff to help me gain skill (beginner edition, due to my current skill level), which I use to play whichever excersizes that I am working on at the time, and then whatever else I can find that I think is appropriate for that practice session.

Then, I like to play every chord I know until every single note is coming out clearly.
I then play the only scale I know (minor pentatonic, i.e. "Blues Scale"), but I use it in a excersize which covers everything to the 13th fret, and back.

Next , I play the song (or songs) that I am learning or working to improve.
Then, I play whichever song I feel like playing (I know about 30 assorted intros, segments, chorus, and verses.)for fun.

Finally (sp?), to close off my epic session of practice, I improvise, or try to find cool noises, and make up my own solos.

All in all, I don't usually get to do all the things listed here (I blame schools), but when I get a day off, I practice my head off!

For a person who only knows one scale you sure have a lot of gear o.0
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
i either start off with a scale, big improv on different scales

or while i'm turning up my guitar volume i'll just start with some foxy lady
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
i start off with a right and left hand finger exercise to loosen em up its an awesome one i saw on a petrucci video and then i will mess around with scales and improv.
Usually I stretch out my fingers because, when you practice, you're exercising your muscles, just like working out, and if you don't stretch before hand you can tear up your muscles. Then I do patterns, and work my pinky alot. Next, it all depends on what you play.
Ibanez...and Tama drums...are the coolest.
I don't ever really pick up the guitar specifically to practice some exercise. I usually only pick up the guitar when I'm feeling like working on some song, origonal or cover....last couple of days it's been Cemetery Gates by Pantera, a couple of simple emo covers, or some origionals...
Quote by Aftertime
i either start off with a scale, big improv on different scales

or while i'm turning up my guitar volume i'll just start with some foxy lady

Hell yeah to Foxy Lady

Best way to turn up the volume.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
I play arpeggios. The help stretch my fingers and get them warmed up, also I remember them better that way
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
Page 1 of 3