Hi guys. Just got a Fender FM212r yesterday and I really like it so far. I was wondering, however, if anybody knows of a website that has a list of different tone settings for it. Obviously I can adapt from other ones but the whole process would be expedited if I had a list of tones specifically for the 212. Or if you have any settings that you like, I'd love to hear them. I mostly play metal but I'd definitely be willing to try out any other sweet settings you've found.
I got it from Guitar center. Got a good deal too, 299, 30 bucks less than anyone is selling it online.
You probably don't want to hear this considering you just got it new, but it's a terrible amp and you should return it if possible ASAP
Well I have 60 days to make sure it can do what I want before I take it back.
Quote by Horlicks
You probably don't want to hear this considering you just got it new, but it's a terrible amp and you should return it if possible ASAP

Don't Listen to him, I've had it for a few months, and it's fantastic. Just because it doesn't have the label of 'Marshall' or another big named amp brand, doesn't mean its not any good.
More like 60 days to think about what to return it for, but yea.

I'm kind of sad that GC would sell someone looking to play metal a FM. At least point him towards the cubes, or even spiders. Sheesh.
Quote by Jack_hertz92
Don't Listen to him, I've had it for a few months, and it's fantastic. Just because it doesn't have the label of 'Marshall' or another big named amp brand, doesn't mean its not any good.

No offence, but if you think it's ''fantastic'' you've obviously never played many amps. What makes you think I like marshall anyway?
Just using Marshall as a general amp, hence 'or another big named amp' and the amp is fantastic for my music, so in my opinion you don't know anything about amps
So what makes it ill-suited for metal? I'm curious because so far I really like it but if it has grave shortcomings I might have to think about taking it back. Any ideas for testing its metal limits?
Could that just be remedied with a pedal? I was planning on getting one anyway. Also, what would you reccommend instead? Maybe if this doesn't work out I might just bite the bullet and get a marshall half-stack or something, but I'm still not convinced.
Why not just trade it in for a Roland Cube? Then you won't even need a pedal
EDIT: If the marshall halfstack is an MG100HDFX then don't get it, it's terrible too.
Quote by Jack_hertz92

It says "Fender" on it. I'm pretty sure Fender is a big brand name.

TS, it's just not cut out for metal. In a few months or years, your ears will realize this, but then it'll be too late to get your $300 back from GC.
If you're limited to a budget of $300 the Roland Cube is probably your best bet, also the Vox Valvetronix, depending on how you define "metal". However check out the Tech 21 Trademark 30 too...that's about all that's worth looking at for a metal player.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tech-21-Trademark-30-30W-Guitar-Combo-DI-Amplifer-480040-i1145232.gc

The Frontman is a mediocre amp even for the genres it's suited to, it's atrocious for metal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ObiMcD
So what makes it ill-suited for metal? I'm curious because so far I really like it but if it has grave shortcomings I might have to think about taking it back. Any ideas for testing its metal limits?

You're still in the 'new toy' stage, of course you'll think it sounds good. In all reality, that amp is not voiced for metal. You can either take advice recommended here or ignore it and regret your purchase down the road.
Quote by Jack_hertz92
I forgot about that small boutique company Fender.

Remind me, what else do they make? I can't remember because they're such a small brand

But back on topic, the FM212r is poor. Valvetronix or Roland Cubes are much better alternatives for that price (although I'm not sure of US prices of the FM)
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by the.spine.surfs
It says "Fender" on it. I'm pretty sure Fender is a big brand name.

TS, it's just not cut out for metal. In a few months or years, your ears will realize this, but then it'll be too late to get your $300 back from GC.

Lol yeah.

That post was completely uninformed. Marshalls these days for the most part don't live up to their reputation, especially when the price dips. Fender probably has a better reputation.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Jack_hertz92

I am pretty sure Fender is a huge as hell amp manufacturer. Take the amp back. Once you play it for a while and try better amps for the same price you will kick yourself for buying it.
Well what I need is something big/loud enough to gig with and the other suggestions dont seem to fit the bill.
Quote by ObiMcD
Well what I need is something big/loud enough to gig with and the other suggestions dont seem to fit the bill.

The Fender's not big enough to gig with either then - it maybe rated at 65 watts but that means bugger all. In terms of useable volume for distorted tones it's no better than the other amps that have been suggested.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

It's rated at 100 watts actually. I could maybe spend more than I did if it seemed really worth it. Also somebody on I think Musicians Friend just reccommended a good pedal to go with it to get the metal distortion you need.
Last edited by ObiMcD at Apr 7, 2008,
Reviews on musiciansfriend are pretty much useless. They are written by kids who haven't played at all or very much. Most are from people who just got their gear and are so excited about having a new piece of kit. The useful reviews are ones that are done a year or so after buying it and done by experienced guitarists.
Quote by ObiMcD
It's rated at 100 watts actually. I could maybe spend more than I did if it seemed really worth it. Also somebody on I think Musicians Friend just reccommended a good pedal to go with it to get the metal distortion you need.

My mistake - but suffice to say there's a reason it's so cheap. It's a terrible choice for a metal player, simple as.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

good amp...but not for metal well i guess you could return it or just use pedals? cause it is loud and takes into pedals well
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Quote by jxljxl
I forgot about that small boutique company Fender.

Remind me, what else do they make? I can't remember because they're such a small brand

But back on topic, the FM212r is poor. Valvetronix or Roland Cubes are much better alternatives for that price (although I'm not sure of US prices of the FM)

I saw the prices and both the Cube and the Valvetronix around the prices of the FM212R have only got half the watts and I saw a video on youtube and it isn't so bad for metal.

I think that theFM212R is a great amp for it's price range.
look the skinny on the FM 212R is that it is not designed for metal, it may list genres its good for on the label, I believe it said blues, country, metal, and punk. Honestly the overdrive channel is just that an overdrive not a distortion. You can get alright sounds at very light gain, most of the time i don't turn up the gain past 5, I keep it at 2.5-3.5. Someone put it well to me it's cheap muscle, it won't sing but you'll hear yourself. Honestly I don't really use the overdrive channels for my music (Ska, rocksteady, reggae), and I plan on buying a pedal for my gain needs, it won't sound great but it will pass. The amp was given to me as a gift so I could start gigging, so to me the amp is a road dog. I will use it at band practices and gigs but I know down the line I'm going to want a better amp. If you need a loud ass clean channel it's alright for that but for overdrives and distortions look elsewhere man.

EDIT: I didn't realize this thread was dead! Sorry, didn't mean to raise the dead!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Dec 19, 2008,