I was wondering how often the tubes should be replaced on my amp. I use a mesa f100, 4 x 12AX7, 4 x 6L6 GC tubes. Its used no more than once a week (it lives at my rehersal place) and its never driven very hard. Apparently last changed about a year ago.
Oh, and which set are the preamp tubes?
In about 5 years.

I'm not even kidding. Using it once a week, quietly, isn't going to burn the tubes very quickly at all. The tubes will probably outlive your band.

That being said, having an extra preamp tube and matched pair of power tubes around is never a bad idea.

EDIT: 12AX7's are a type of preamp tube, 6L6GC's are a type of power tube.
thought so, well i hope they last that long. And using the same mesa 6l6's would be best, or would el34's or others be worth considering too?
I, personally, would not buy tubes from Mesa. Like Ruby and Groove Tubes, Mesa dosn't actually manufacture tubes; they just buy Soveteks and test them. Try Doug's Tube or The Tube Depot, online, for a great selection of quality tubes at very fair prices.

The El34's will need different biasing, but why fix what isn't broken?
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I, personally, would not buy tubes from Mesa. Like Ruby and Groove Tubes, Mesa dosn't actually manufacture tubes; they just buy Soveteks and test them. Try Doug's Tube or The Tube Depot, online, for a great selection of quality tubes at very fair prices.

The El34's will need different biasing, but why fix what isn't broken?

+1

Mesa doesn't actually make tubes, it's just their logo. Be sure to have some extra tubes on hand, look into JJ's. Even though you're barely using your amp and rarely cranking it, the tubes should last a while, but that's not definite. They can die on you at any time. With your situation, I'd say they should last about 2-3 years. 5 years is a bit much.
The 6L6GC is a tetrode type tube of a much older design than the EL34 (which is a pentode). Most tetrodes sound darker than most pentodes with more emphasis on the lower frequencies and less overall punch. The difference isn't terribly dramatic though and you can usually obtain a greater tonal change by changing speakers than by changing tubes.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Mesa users buy Mesa because Mesa sets the bias right for all their amps before they buy it from the suppliers. If you have a Mesa amp, Mesa tubes will not need any additional re-bias because Mesa only sells the ones that fits the bias of their amps. if you get what i mean...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^So, in theory, you could bias your amp for Mesa tubes and never have to re-bias again as long as you replaced them with Mesas, on any amp?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
^So, in theory, you could bias your amp for Mesa tubes and never have to re-bias again as long as you replaced them with Mesas, on any amp?

Kind of. Mesa does what The Tube Depot does: assign a bias number to each tube.
Quote by Mesa Engineering
Mesa/Boogie has always built the versatility and tonal potential into the tone controls and features of the amp, leaving the finicky variation of different tube types aside.

Mesa/Boogie amplifiers employ a preset bias to allow even the least technically oriented player to change tubes themselves and maintain the original brilliant and dynamic response from the amp. The preset bias also means that Mesa will accept a much narrower range of tubes at much closer matching tolerances, considering the window provided by the preset bias. Other manufacturers and distributors accept tubes of much more extreme current draw and match variation under the guise of bias adjustability, claiming that tubes of different current-draw offer different response.

Tubes of similar type can vary slightly in response, but variations are more dependent on the bias adjustment.( For more in depth bias discussion, see Randall Smith's article on biasing in previous Amplitudes newsletters and on our webpage at www.mesaboogie.com). In the end, for any amplifier, Mesa tubes are more stringently tested, more closely matched, and from the most consistent and reliable of tube production ranges... the middle. Our tubes don't run hot or cold...They run RIGHT! We test and match the tubes for you, which is less time spent trying to tweak the amps circuitry, and more time playing and searching for tones with the amps tone controls and features.

Mesa/Boogie tubes have a three letter color code at the base of the tube used to group the tubes into matched pairs. These color codes do not apply to different tonal variation (the number and two letter codes with the color code are Production Batch #'s and Tester's initials respectively).

Any Mesa tested tube is guaranteed to perform tonefully and reliably within the preset bias of the amp, as long as matched pairs are in the appropriate sockets. No fuss, no muss! Just plug and play when it is time to re-tube. Maintain the TONE! Use Genuine MESA Tubes!

yea. if i were u, i wouldn't experiment with mesa amps. iono why. it just seems like mesa's different from fender or marshall. but i have no evidence except for that text to back myself up.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard