I'm considering buying a Boss gt-8, but I have a few things I want to know before I do so.

Firstly, In my experience, I have found effect processor's sound really dodgy through larger amps, ie. 2x12's and 4x12s. Even some 1x12s. Does the Gt8 have this problem, because it has the amp simulations as well as just stomp box simulations.

I've also found, they sound really dodgy turned up loud, again on larger amps. Would this processor provide a sufficient tone for gigging?

now, the chorus, reverb and delay. When you look at the Gt8, you see 1 chorus knob, 1 reverb knob and 2 for delay.
How can you adjust the rate of delay, or type of reverb, eg. hall, room, spring etc. And do you only get one kind of chorus, instead of studio chorus and whatnot.

Theres an Eq button, but I see no eq, and I don;t know exactly how many amp simulation this pedal boasts, but from the selection knob, it really doesn't look that much, same with overdrives.
And I'm sure Ive heard you can have different wahs from the expression pedal, crybaby, vox etc.

I don't know, it just doesn't look very self-explainatory, so if someone could help me out a bit?

And just let me know how you think it sounds in general.

Btw I'm using a Peavey Valveking 212, is why I was wondfering if it's gonna sound dodgy through a larger amp.

Cheers.
I haven't found any issues playing though larger speakers nor while the amp or the unit is turned up.

Those little knobs allow a rapid control of the parameters. If you want to do something more detailed, you have to click the respective button and all the parameters will be displayed.

It's the same with the EQ - click the button and it'll take you through the frequencies.

And then again, the knob for the overdrives and amp simulations only provide one type of simulation - you can tap the button and go into detail. I'm not bothered with the knobs because if I want a new tone, I dial it in a detailed fashion, I don't recur to the knobs much, but while the knob shows MS, for Marshall, scrolling after you hit the button will show you MS Clean, MS I, MS II, MS I+II and MS Hi Gain, if I recall correctly.
Quote by sdmf.1919

Firstly, In my experience, I have found effect processor's sound really dodgy through larger amps, ie. 2x12's and 4x12s. Even some 1x12s. Does the Gt8 have this problem, because it has the amp simulations as well as just stomp box simulations.

what are you on about man!!!!

not true at all - i think youre whacked some preamp gain up on them and distorting the actual amp sound

how have you normally set them up?
Quote by davedoom
what are you on about man!!!!

not true at all - i think youre whacked some preamp gain up on them and distorting the actual amp sound

how have you normally set them up?

Well, I dont actually have a gt8, so i couldnt tell you how I have it set up lol.
But I have an me-50 and its usually just guitar-pedal-amp, and it sounds pretty dodgy, whereas through a 15w amp it sounds pretty decent. Same with the volume issue.

edit: I've tried it through the effect loop also and its naff.
Quote by Mind Kill
Buy the gt-10 instead. ^^

Yeah I was thinking, but I'm not sure, see from the videos i've seen, theyre picking the genre as opposed to amp model or whatever, I dont like that.
but if you can pick amp models also I spose thats cool too.

I also heard we lost some amp models and pedals, i would want to know which ones.

if anyone has a list btw, of whats actually in it as far as amp models/overdrives are concerned Ive been looking for one.
Quote by sdmf.1919
Well, I dont actually have a gt8, so i couldnt tell you how I have it set up lol.
But I have an me-50 and its usually just guitar-pedal-amp, and it sounds pretty dodgy, whereas through a 15w amp it sounds pretty decent. Same with the volume issue.

edit: I've tried it through the effect loop also and its naff.

and what is/are the bigger amps? and through headphones?
Quote by sdmf.1919
Yeah I was thinking, but I'm not sure, see from the videos i've seen, theyre picking the genre as opposed to amp model or whatever, I dont like that.
but if you can pick amp models also I spose thats cool too.

I also heard we lost some amp models and pedals, i would want to know which ones.

if anyone has a list btw, of whats actually in it as far as amp models/overdrives are concerned Ive been looking for one.

Yeah, that would be great. Anyone have a list?
Ok, here goes...

I have a GT-8, standalone it sounds ok, but with a bit of tweaking it sounds incredible.

It may look like you can't edit many parameters, but as previously stated they are just quick options. You can edit more than you would believe to create some amazingly accurate tones.

I run it through both my amp as a monitor and the PA. Loud or quiet it sounds fine, only with a tube amp you can push the pre-amp if you don't edit the levels right a bit and therefore increase/get a bit of distortion (warm tubey styl though).
Although i tend to just turn up to gigs with the gt-8 now, saves alot of weight, and just go straight through their PA. And no joke if you spend enough time editing the parameters you can create any tone and it doesn't sound digital < but this does take time.

You don't have to use any amp models and with some clever wiring you can use your own amp as the preamp for this. Conversely you could use two separate amp models through two separate outputs with different effects and create amazing stereo effects.

As long as you spend enough time with this thing you can achieve (i believe) pretty much any sound for any situation
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Apr 8, 2008,