I've always found it amazing that the half-ass acts are getting record deals while the sensations are still on youtube and myspace
hue
Quote by Sunny Afternoon
Rock is long gone, but metal will live on

I beg to differ, Rock is still lingering.
Metal, though, will live on.
So...instead of progressing forward with new ideas and different directions, music should just go back in time and use the same ideas, chord progressions, song structures, time signatures, keys, tempos, lyrics and vocal melodies that were popular before the great majority of people on this forum were born?
Quote by Powerhouse
So...instead of progressing forward with new ideas and different directions, music should just go back in time and use the same ideas, chord progressions, song structures, time signatures, keys, tempos, lyrics and vocal melodies that were popular before the great majority of people on this forum were born?

My point is that this kid will have breakthrough ideas by the time he's 19.
That we can dream only in our wetdreams.
Quote by Powerhouse

Seems like that's what they want. Good thing things like this always work themselves out.
Quote by Powerhouse

Yea...Atreyu and BFMV and Trivium did that by going back to the 80's and everyone's like "PFFT Metallica ripoffs!!"
I think that the state that we're in right now with popular music will be gone in 15 years or so, and replaced with something else.
Quote by Sunny Afternoon

real rock died in the 80s somewhere. What we have today is a shell of what rock was in the 60s and 70s. metal will never cease. Itll always be there in some form or another.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at Apr 7, 2008,
I think that the state that we're in right now with popular music will be gone in 15 years or so, and replaced with something else (that includes rock music).
What's wrong with the songwriters of today? I personnaly think rock is still very much alive. Every decade had its garbage and its legends.
Rock will always find new ways to improve and renew itself, so rock will never die. Just like metal has always found new ways to improve itself.

Who knows how the future of rock will sound like? Why think about it. Just go out there and go rock like you want, who cares if anybody likes it.
Who cares what's in the mainstream? As long as there is a underground scene, I'm happy.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Sunny Afternoon

The only survivor of music. Bow down to the thrasher! It's one of the few stems of rock music that has got stronger and survived. Black Sabbath formed 40 years ago, this year; let's make 60 years of metal at least.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Wow at that kid! He's sooo cute! I was a bit disappointed when he didn't play the guitar though.

Still, amazing that he knows all the words.
Quote by DistantScreams
Awwwww.... CaptainBec that was messed up

Why? Because I rap about reality? Like me and my grandma having a cup of tea?
There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party - heey - ho!
Quote by -Vogel-
I think that the state that we're in right now with popular music will be gone in 15 years or so, and replaced with something else (that includes rock music).

I wish in a couple of years or so music would keep on rolling from the sixties right to the eighties or ninetys (only for Rick Astley).
Rock will live on in some form or another; excluding songs based on blatantly ripped off samples. Why, because rock is in our souls. Its not about rebellion as has been the standard line in media, but about wanting to let loose and scream your head off for no reason other than being turned on by pounding bass or searing guitar solo.

Another point is that there will always be an audience for good old rock and roll. Look at the music in the past five years or so, The Darkness, Jet, Priestess, and Wolfmother, all show sings of attachment to old fashioned rock and roll, and all have been successful. People like simplicity and being able to hear a good old guitar solo, bass run, drum fill, and leading singer screaming "Yeah baby." It might be primal, about getting to our roots.

Another posted made a good point about how using the same chord progressions, structures, time signatures, keys, tempos, may be rehashed by new bands others will use the old technieques and modify them to make something new and interesting out of what we already know and love. Nivana comes to mind as a not very inventive band musically, but they wrote catchy stuff that people identified with. The same kind of argument can be made about movies and books, but there will always be great film makers and authors who tell familiar stories in new and interesting ways.

This has turned into a semi rant and I will end it here knowing in my heart that "rock and roll ain't gonna die."
Quote by TwistedLogic
Rock will live on in some form or another; excluding songs based on blatantly ripped off samples. Why, because rock is in our souls. Its not about rebellion as has been the standard line in media, but about wanting to let loose and scream your head off for no reason other than being turned on by pounding bass or searing guitar solo.

Another point is that there will always be an audience for good old rock and roll. Look at the music in the past five years or so, The Darkness, Jet, Priestess, and Wolfmother, all show sings of attachment to old fashioned rock and roll, and all have been successful. People like simplicity and being able to hear a good old guitar solo, bass run, drum fill, and leading singer screaming "Yeah baby." It might be primal, about getting to our roots.

Another posted made a good point about how using the same chord progressions, structures, time signatures, keys, tempos, may be rehashed by new bands others will use the old technieques and modify them to make something new and interesting out of what we already know and love. Nivana comes to mind as a not very inventive band musically, but they wrote catchy stuff that people identified with. The same kind of argument can be made about movies and books, but there will always be great film makers and authors who tell familiar stories in new and interesting ways.

This has turned into a semi rant and I will end it here knowing in my heart that "rock and roll ain't gonna die."

Yes! The Darkness are the only recent rock band that I can listen to, I think their first album is ****ing fantastic! The second was a bit too Queen-like for me with all the pianos and stuff but they still made plenty of original music which tried new things. Some worked better than others but at least they tried pretty much everything (instrument-wise they had a pan pipe solo and sitar solo which both managed to fit in nicely).

But yeah, I recon there are just too many rules in rock to really do anything new a lot of the time.
Rock is alive and well. There are hundreds of great rock n' roll bands out there, you just have to put some effort into finding them. The Redwalls, The Black Keys, The Raconteurs, The Stands, Silvertide, Stonerider, The Darknes.....etc..

I kinda like the fact that real rock n' roll isn't in the mainstream anymore because that means that the bands play their music because they really like it, and not because they think it'll get them a lot of money. It also means that you can see the bands in small and intimate venues and sometimes even meet the band
Rock is alive!

You can't kill rock.

I kinda wish the drug culture would go back to the way it was in the 60's though.

Back then it was all about opening your mind and seeing what's there that's hidden by your brain.

Now it's all about pissing off your parents and getting "wasted."
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Sunny Afternoon

Oh god no.

And there's a lot of rock out there.
My favorite band out there right now is The Answer.

Most of the rock music being made today doesn't really appeal to me.
Quote by Powerhouse

just because someone is playing a Asus4dim12th chord or whatever doesnt mean they are any more progressive or innovative..case in point jazz, its way out there but most people dont take time to understand it. I think the problem with a lot of bands is they dont have the natural ability as a whole band (many bands thing ability is shredding or whatever rather than the whole band picture ala Pink Floyd). Many bands dont actually have something to say..eg Dark side of the moon was a massive statement or nevermind was a vibe..nowadays the only statements worth listening to for me are maybe tool, Dredg, Oceansize and not much else.

Lack of many bands with natural ability, lack of many bands with something to say, lack of bands getting pushed big time by record labels due to piracy and the internet, many regular people being put off by the non mass marketing of rock bands..maybe Muse being the exception but they had to change big style to do it.

Again if you take darkside of the moon for an example, it had a concept, good individual mass appeal songs, elements of innovation with electronics etc and ir as complete.
Last edited by SteaminGeezer at Apr 7, 2008,
Its all raps fault, I wish there was never rap, or it just boring and unconsidered. Might aswell just change this site to ultimate rap..
Avenged Sevenfold Fan, proud of it.
Music can never die, it just fades in and out of focus. As long as there are pissed off teenagers with electric instruments there will be rock and roll. To be honest, I hope rock and roll loses it's mainstream appeal. I hope it becomes dirty and taboo like it was in the 50s and 60's again.

Eddie Cochran>Panic! At The Disco
hurray for little Korean children that will carry our generation.
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -
I hate it when people say todays music sucks and music of the 60s and 70s was so much better. Have you ever looked at the charts of any year in the 70s or 60s? There was as much crap back there as there is now, only it isn't remembered. Just like todays crap won't be remembered in the future.