i recently bought this les paul body off ebay and i thought i could get you guys to look at the info and pics and see what you could tell me about it. one thing about it is that it has a small switch between the volume and tone knobs that i have never seen before on a lespaul. if you know anything about it, let me know. thanks

link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-Mid-70s-Aria-Pan-Japan-Made-Project-Guitar-Body_W0QQitemZ300209979918QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
ive seen something like that before on one of the school basses....but i dunno what it is.

pretty cool les paul body tho
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Seems like a pretty nice body to me. You might have a bit of trouble finding a neck with the right scale length (24.75" I think) for it all to be intonated right and what not but when you can it'll be great.

That switch could be a killswitch, coil tap, phase switch or anything else, you should ask the seller or just try to figure it out by plugging in when you get a neck and the rest.

Haha, this bit made me laugh, "Was a nice playing and sounding guitar. Then it went down a fight of stairs." To fix that just chuck it back up some steps, should reverse all the dents
lol good one. well the wiring is really old so i might have to tear it all out. what can let you know if its one of those kinds of switches you were talking about?

and isnt all les paul necks 24.75 scale length?
Has a nice finish and great color. Was a nice playing and sounding guitar. Then it went down a fight of stairs.

This made me laugh so hard when I read it.

Anyways, the switch might be for coil tapping between the pickups, or possibly a killswitch.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
It's hard to tell from that picture of the control cavity, but I think I see a capacitor there and it looks like it's wired to the neck pickup. It could be some sort of jazz/bright switch that rolls off treble.
Quote by leader01
lol good one. well the wiring is really old so i might have to tear it all out. what can let you know if its one of those kinds of switches you were talking about?

and isnt all les paul necks 24.75 scale length?

I think you can tell if you just look at the wriring if you're good at stuff like that, but I'd just see what difference it makes sound wise, that should be the easiest way to tell.

Yeah, they are all 24.75 scale length, but most aren't bolt on so they're hard to find. If you're lucky you might find one on ebay.
The switch looks like it would change the phase of a which ever pickups its wired to. The bright mod switch is a simple 2 wire on of switch. But yea it could be hard to get a neck for it if its doesnt use a strat neck pocket. If its a strat pocket then a conversion neck from warmoth would fix it.
is there a way to modify a les paul that doesnt have the bolt on feature to make it have it like just dril in the four holes to match up witht he top?
Not really. A set neck socket is totally different than a bolt neck. And set necks are not so easy to find anyways. Just gonna need to see what kind fo socket is in the body and go from there if your lucky its the same as a strat.
^look @ warmoth, they have 24.75" scale LP bolt on necks.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The little white crossover wire on the switch and the red wire coming from what used to be the pickup (did somebody actually cut the pickups off at the pickup?) to one of the center poles looks to be a coil tap.
Gibsons current scale length isn't actually 24.75. It is something like 24 9/16 at the moment (has been for a while). That little switch probably a coil split.
Quote by leader01
whats a coil split?

It is when you get a 4 conductor humbucker and you effectively split the coils so you are only using one, basically to give you a single coil sound. That switch probably lets you go from humbucker to single coil sounds.