does anyone know of any pickups or amps that give sounds that could be said to be different or unique?

basically, im sick of picking up guitars and thinking, this is a great pickup for blues/ metal/ rock . . . but i dont want one of those conventional tones, i want something different, something a bit unique.

anyone?
It doesn't matter what gear you're using, your playing/phrasing/technique is what makes you sound unique.
fishman makes a special acoustic PU which fits onto bridges of certain electric guitars (LP, tele, strat). i've heard that can give you come cool sounds. it's on slash's signature LP.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
i know that the style you play can offer a unique sound, but i'm looking for a unique tone to match my unique style. as well as that, i think it could offer some inspiration - like when you tune to d. technically, from a musical standpoint its not that musically different, the notes were on your guitar, but it can offer a different point of view.
You'll have to be more specific than blues, metal, and rock. That's too broad to make any recommendations.
emm... i'll try and explain it better

most people hear a tone and think, that sounds great, i wanna recreate it, (p90, paf and so on) so most pickups are just slightly tweaked versions of existing pickups that people like, or apporximate copies.

i am trying to find a company, or style of pickup that isn't conventional. by this, i mean a pickup or amp that when you use it, you don't immediately think - o0o0o metal, or blues, or rock. so what i'm actually saying guitarmiester, is that i want a pickup or amp that isn't blues, metal or rock - if i did there'd be millions for me to choose from.

so basically, im asking for some information as to whether there are any companies that make either pickups or amps with a different sound thats not been done before. something experimental. i dont know, it might be something that is wound with a different metal, or it might be an amp with a new type of magnet, or anything
but the reason they are blues rock or metal or jazz is due to your gain isnt it im probably wrong i just thought it was gain in a sense that some good pick ups can do blues and metal and so on maybe if you want a totally new sound your should try midi pick up by boss or somthing
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Quote by CobenBlack
emm... i'll try and explain it better

most people hear a tone and think, that sounds great, i wanna recreate it, (p90, paf and so on) so most pickups are just slightly tweaked versions of existing pickups that people like, or apporximate copies.

i am trying to find a company, or style of pickup that isn't conventional. by this, i mean a pickup or amp that when you use it, you don't immediately think - o0o0o metal, or blues, or rock. so what i'm actually saying guitarmiester, is that i want a pickup or amp that isn't blues, metal or rock - if i did there'd be millions for me to choose from.

so basically, im asking for some information as to whether there are any companies that make either pickups or amps with a different sound thats not been done before. something experimental. i dont know, it might be something that is wound with a different metal, or it might be an amp with a new type of magnet, or anything

You need to speak to Cord...

http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
cool, now were gettin somewhere!

i also looked into motherbuckers (like a humbucker but with a single coil strapped on the end - but humbucker sized) and boomerang pups. someone also mentioned something about pickups in stereo rather than mono, and air coil pups
Quote by angusslashdime
but the reason they are blues rock or metal or jazz is due to your gain isnt it im probably wrong i just thought it was gain in a sense that some good pick ups can do blues and metal and so on maybe if you want a totally new sound your should try midi pick up by boss or somthing

i think the suggestion of a new pedal isn't a bad one, but all gain does is drive the sound you have really.
Typically, the pickups won't alter your tone that radically unless you experiment with piezo transducers and other alternatives. Some guy also builds guitars where the strings themselves are held in a magnetic field to esentially become their own pickups - very interesting idea. Can't for the life of me remember the name though.

As for amps, the only truly unique amp i know of -and I shudder to mention it- is the Metasonix G-1000.
Quote by CobenBlack
i shall look into that

ive now looked into it. thats one of the coolest amps in the world. shame it doesn't sound any good.

...and with that realisation, remember to not get too hung up in your quest to be different, simply for the sake of being different.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
coil splits, phase switching and combinations of the two
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Guitarmiester
It doesn't matter what gear you're using, your playing/phrasing/technique is what makes you sound unique.

too true.

many of the best players just confuse people because of their playing - its very hard to work out what gear they use on record and its surprising to see what some use live!
Quote by CobenBlack

Have you tried everything out there, yet? I'm not a pick-up expert (in any sense of the term), but I'm a big fan of G&L guitars and their MFD pups. I bought a Rickenbacker 360 because I've craved that sound forever. You take a guitar designed for one style of music and use it for another, and you're on the road to uniqueness. People say you can't use a Rick for heavy stuff... sure you can! It just doesn't sound conventional, which seems to be what you're after. Play indie with an Ibanez Jem. Play punk on a Dobro. You get what I mean.

With amps, it's sort of the same thing. An AC30, Fender Deluxe Reverb, or Marshall JCM800 are all "classic rock" amps, but they each fit a different segment of that market. Take them -or any other amp- out of it's element, and you're once again unique. One truly cool old amp company is Magnatone. Find one of their amps complete with it's pitch shifting vibrato, and figure out a way to put it to use. You'll be different.

Sounds to me like you should be looking into effects as much as anything, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by CobenBlack
so what i'm actually saying , is that i want a pickup or amp that isn't blues, metal or rock - if i did there'd be millions for me to choose from.

Then what the hell do you want? Everything is suited towards some sort of style- you project your playing and style on the instrument. You don't want blues, metal, or rock? Get an acoustic. If you want something that doesn't sound "normal," go get an old alumitone, dan armstrong, tele with dual humbuckers, whatever.
I just think it's kind of dumb to want an instrument that "isn't rock." If you play rock on it, it's going to be rock. Am I confused or are you?
Quote by Roc8995
Then what the hell do you want? Everything is suited towards some sort of style- you project your playing and style on the instrument. You don't want blues, metal, or rock?

i get that. im saying has anyone made one that isn't one of these, theres always people doing different things, which is why im asking. i hadn't heard of any, so i wondered if anyone knows of a company that has.

i'm gonna have to try g&l
Ah, that makes more sense. I was just worried that you'd do the same thing my friend did, which was to bug me to make him something "unique" without any other qualifications other than that it should be "fuzzy and not sound like anything else." It was such a dumb and misguided request that I took a big muff, stomped on the switch until it shorted, shorted out a few components on the board, wired it to a 7.5v adapter, and turned it on. It was the most sickening and horrifying tone ever, which is of course exactly what he deserved.

Good luck in your quest- my only advise would be to get out of guitarcenter and go raid some pawnshops and smaller mom&pop stores. They've got all the good stuff. You'll find it.
Put some different sized tone pots in your guitar. Try some 250k instead of 500's or just the opposite. They really do make a difference. Screw around with pickup heighth. A different bridge will change tone. Its kinda endless.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
Put some different sized tone pots in your guitar. Try some 250k instead of 500's or just the opposite. They really do make a difference. Screw around with pickup heighth. A different bridge will change tone. Its kinda endless.

+1

Most people don't realize how much of a difference changing the pickup height can make. I've been meaning to put a 1K volume pot in my guitars. The difference is there.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I would check out his "Beefbuckers". They're really hot passive pickups with a Neodymium magnet. That's pretty different, since most people use various grades of Alnico or Ceramic..

Shut up.
Quote by Roc8995
Ah, that makes more sense. I was just worried that you'd do the same thing my friend did, which was to bug me to make him something "unique" without any other qualifications other than that it should be "fuzzy and not sound like anything else." It was such a dumb and misguided request that I took a big muff, stomped on the switch until it shorted, shorted out a few components on the board, wired it to a 7.5v adapter, and turned it on. It was the most sickening and horrifying tone ever, which is of course exactly what he deserved.

Good luck in your quest- my only advise would be to get out of guitarcenter and go raid some pawnshops and smaller mom&pop stores. They've got all the good stuff. You'll find it.

haha! good call. im not really into guitar center really anyway, it usually charges over the odds, or what seems like over the odds prices, so i stick with smaller shops. but yeah, thats why i'm here, just to get some new ideas.

thanks for the help

and to the guys advising new tone pots - gonna give it a go. thanks
Quote by Guitarmiester
Most people don't realize how much of a difference changing the pickup height can make.

Is very true.

Regarding uniqueness, I stopped worrying about the dry signal and started screwing with really awkward effects combinations. Try wacking your hand against the back of the neck repeatedly while controlling both a pitch shifter and a slicer. Use a low-cut filter and a volume pedal simultaneously. Put the most ridiculous, over the top, hard clipping distortion you can find in the effects loop. Just be musical in whatever you do.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by dogismycopilot
Shut up.

*reported* for you

i cant actually find a single reason for that comment
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I've been thinking.. there should be some sort of "ONLY effects/odd techniques thread." It'd be a good reference and discussion area for some of us more adventurous types.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by theshroomman
saw these on /b/ http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/alumitone/alumitone_specs.php
eric clapton has used them on his strat apperantly

For the record, /b/ is pretty intelligent with regards to music and guitar stuff.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
IMHO, a good pedal woulddo more to make you sound unique... try a ring mod.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Quote by kyle62
As for amps, the only truly unique amp i know of -and I shudder to mention it- is the Metasonix G-1000.

looks amazing, but seriously, $5000? surely only massively boring people who wouldn't appreciate such a thing would spend that much on an amp?
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
looks amazing, but seriously, $5000? surely only massively boring people who wouldn't appreciate such a thing would spend that much on an amp?

Agreed. Or rich eccentric guitar-playing nutters, possibly.

I don't really think Metasonix' designer is expecting to make serious cash from that one, but good on him for a having a sense of humour amongst all the ludicrous seriousness of guitar gear. I just had a look at the high-res photo, the pattern around the edge of the nameplate is utterly insane!
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
*reported* for you

i cant actually find a single reason for that comment

You're so cool