Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for advice and people's experiences. How good were YOU at three years playing guitar?

I have been playing for very close to 3 years, yet I don't feel like I'm that good. I can't cleanly and consistently economy pick across strings at high speeds. I can sweep pick that basic little minor thing, but the strings ring (not bleed, just ring after I let go of them.) I practice everyday. Any advice or personal experiences?
It's called talent. I doubt Chuck Berry or Kurt Cobain could sweep pick
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
I only play for a little over a year, so I can't help you with that :P
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
At less than two years, i can sweep triads cleanly at about 140bpm. And some 5 string sweeps not very cleanly, and quite alot slower. I'm playing in quite a sucessful band and have played over 20 venues in the local area.
Quote by Jonjy2
Haha! You are awesome Bucketbotman!! Lolz!!

+100

I CAN PUT MY FOOT BEHIND MY HEAD!

Gear
Ibanez RG370DX special edition!
Tanglewood Oddessy Acoustic
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960's A slant cab
Fender 40W amp
Dunlop Crybaby
Usually right before I have a guitar " break through " or get noticeably better I have a little period where I think I'm the worst guitarist ever.
Quote by Seef
Usually right before I have a guitar " break through " or get noticeably better I have a little period where I think I'm the worst guitarist ever.

SWEET! Hopefully that's my situation too.
Quote by bucketbot
At less than two years, i can sweep triads cleanly at about 140bpm. And some 5 string sweeps not very cleanly, and quite alot slower. I'm playing in quite a sucessful band and have played over 20 venues in the local area.
Way to make TS feel good about himself
Well I play for 3 years and 1 month and this is a video that I recorded some days ago.
Though it's not really technical.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGGFozdhrkM

This is more technical towards the end. It's two months old.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tgWdkzshd4

EDIT:
If you want an amazing 3 strings sweep practice, learn the "Dream Theater - Glass Prison" 1st solo. It sounds amazing, and has a lot of sweep shapes.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Apr 7, 2008,
Ive been playing for 4 years now since i was about 11. Right now i spend less time trying to learn songs since ive progressed alot more. I can sweep pick 4 strings at a decent speed cleanly and alternate pick really clean. My advice is to learn as much techniques as you can for example start slow on sweep picking with 3 strings and as you get faster and cleaner, move on to 4 strings. When i first started playing guitar i tried to play some really hard songs and tried to learn all these techniques effects (tapping,sweeping,bending,vibrato,pinch harmonic) and woudnt give up i guess that made let me have a jump start even if it wasnt all that clean. The first few couple months ive played i already knew how to pinch harmonic and tap it wasnt all that great but after months of practice i can now do them with no problem.
If you don't have any real natural talent just learn 6-string sweeps with tapping - at incredible speeds, then blaze through scale after scale. You will own everyone!

lol just kidding
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
Man it feels just like anal sex, I think; I'm still a virgin

Quote by nebiru
Goose is my Hero.

Quote by Xeus
Yeah, if you get the shag in before she's your legal sister the incest is over turned
I've been playing for 2.5 years and I have recording and guitar skills you can listen too in my profile.

I'm still sloppy but I think I'm average for 2.5 years.
I've been playing four years and I can't sweep pick yet. Why feel bad? I don't.
TRANSFORMICE

I reckon its not a matter of how long you've been playing but what you've been playing. Someone who has learnt theory and stuff right from when they began is surely going to be better than someone who just casually plays for fun and gets better just by playing new songs.
But then again who gives a rats ass if u can sweep pick well or tap crazy licks or stuff life that, if you can play songs people know and love then you will be seen as a god by non-guitarists
Quote by Draken
Look i'm saying if she wore those glasses in bed i'd plough her like an Amish guy sowing his maize crop.

My Gear:
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Pro
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Cheap classical guitar
Ashton GA-158C
Zoom 505II
look up articles by tom hess, might be a practice issue, we usually don't get the most from our practice anyway so try isolate the problem and nail it, and find another player for rhythm, it will make you better, faster and when applied right you can really focus your sweeps with the pounding groove behind it, hope i helped.

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
ive been playing for 3 years as well, and i dont feel that im that good. i cant even almost sweep tho. i dont practice eveyday, just whenever i feel like it, so dont feel bad, youre probably better than me. most ppl are.
Quote by TunerAddict
BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the sickest paint job in all of GB&C

Hawaiian Shirt Guy Of the Australia FTW! Club.
PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.
Australians only.

i've been playing the guitar for about 3.5 years so all i can say is just to stick to it. i've never bothered to learn much sweeping cuz thats not exactly the way i play my music. i can tap, which is very useful. learning to skip strings at slow and fast speeds works.
Quote by venom0014
look on the bright side, at least your not black.
ive been playing about the same time and ive just begun lessons, my advice is before you bother with technique; learn some theory. Train your ear for all of the intervals, be able to sing any note in a chord (if someone plays cmaj and asks for a root for example), know every note (or be able to figure out triads) in common triads and altered chords, and learn your major scales, notes on the fretboard and common (at least) chord voicings inside and out (im currently working on all of this). That will help you not just as a guitarist, but as a musician.
dude, don't try to compare yourself to other people. learn what you want to learn and do it at your own pace. and don't be that guy who learns guitar and forms a band just to be famous.

just do your own thing and keep at it. play guitar because you like it, not because you feel you need to for any reason.
ive been playing 4 months.

I Can Play This At 208 BPM

is that any good

|18-15-------------- - -15-17-14-------------- --14-|
|------ 17--------- -17--------- -16---------- 16----|
|--------- 18-15-18-------------- --17-14-17---- ---|
|------- --------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
TS, don't be concerned with good you are, or whether you've progresed as much as you *shiould* have. Different people progress at different rates. What you practice, how much you practice, the quality of practice- they're all big factors as well. There's no set things you should be doing at x year. Just take a step back from all that and enjoy the instrument. Because in my opinion, if you aren't enjoying yourself, just give up.

That last sentence was rhetorical.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
ive been playing 4 months.

I Can Play This At 208 BPM

is that any good

|18-15-------------- - -15-17-14-------------- --14-|
|------ 17--------- -17--------- -16---------- 16----|
|--------- 18-15-18-------------- --17-14-17---- ---|
|------- --------------------------------------------------------|

Four months?

Record it or it didn't happen.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Four months?

Record it or it didn't happen.

seriosly is it good?

i ordered an adapter off ebay should be here in a few days..

i will record it.
Well after about 2 years, I have yet to meet a guitarist my age who is better than me.

Could probably do mad 'shredorz' if I spent time trying...
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
Been playing for almost 4 years now, and I can't sweep anything but some lazy triads
However, my rythm is tighter than your mother's thong on a hot sommer day, and I have a great feeling when I play solo's in minor keys. I can also speed pick your face off

So I'm happy
Quote by DieGarbageMan
seriosly is it good?

i ordered an adapter off ebay should be here in a few days..

i will record it.

It's epic...
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I've been playing...longer (I actually can't work out how long I've been playing, 5-odd years?), and I can't sweep pick or do any shred-type stuff, purely cause I never really wanted to. I can play well enough to break out the acoustic in my room after a night out so we can have a sing-along and piss off the people in surrounding rooms, and to have been in a couple of gigging bands, as well as playing in church groups.

I like how well I can play, and am happy that most things I want to play I can given enough time to practice. I think that should be how you gague your guitar skill - can you play stuff that gives you satisfaction when you play on your own, and are you confident enough to play with others? If so, you're a good guitarist
Ceci n'est pas une signature
Quote by urik
It's epic...

i must be doing it wrong then.
sweep picking, alternate picking up and down the strings right?
Quote by William1234
I'm looking for advice and people's experiences. How good were YOU at three years playing guitar?

I have been playing for very close to 3 years, yet I don't feel like I'm that good. I can't cleanly and consistently economy pick across strings at high speeds. I can sweep pick that basic little minor thing, but the strings ring (not bleed, just ring after I let go of them.) I practice everyday. Any advice or personal experiences?

i dunno. ask me in 2 years.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
I've been playing for a year and a half and I think we can all relate to the fact that as we all take little steps towards becoming a better guitarist as we practice, the more doors are opened towards new styles, new techniques and so forth-so every time you get better, you find that there's so much more to learn and feel like you're a crappy guitarist. At least, that's how I view it for myself...

Wow, I remember when I was learning my first chord...
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -
Quote by SmashThings
It's called talent. I doubt Chuck Berry or Kurt Cobain could sweep pick

Never insult Chuck Berry. Ever.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Quote by Seef

i hate that feeling... I usually go out and buy some new picks or strings, and it cheers me right up
Ya, just kepp watching some young guitarists who are better than you or u admire then say to yourself "I can do it" then practice, practice, practice
Quote by bucketbot

show off
on topic, I've been playing a little over three years and im at grade 6 of the rgt exams thingy. I've recently been starting to learn to sweep pick...I'm probably a bit behind lol but ah well. I can do most other techniques apart from sweeping. I also want to start trying to 10 finger tap (buckethead )
We walked into the night

Am I to bid you farewell?

Why can't you see that I try
When every tear I shed

Is for you?
Quote by j_hunter_hkr
I can't sweep pick at all, but I'm probably better at playing actual MUSIC.

*hides*

That's a very close-minded way to think. I want to shred well, and my favourite song off of the UG "what's next?" album is dandelion wine. not one solo.

I also listen to Megadeth. Megadeth has a lot of technical orientation in their songs. If that is your definition, there are plenty of other shredders (Steve Vai) with great theoretical accomplishments.

Actual MUSIC is something that one enjoys playing/making on an instrument. I enjoy (trying ) to shred.

Music is of the soul, not always the mind.
Last edited by restless_thrash at Apr 8, 2008,
Quote by Cumbersome
Shred 'till your fingers fall off.

That's the way to do it. Seriously. A few long, and i really mean long, shred sessions are just what the doctor ordered. It's better practicing for 8 hours rather than practicing 8 days in a row for an hour. You get into it, and you start practicing the right way, and it's all uphill from there. Your fingers will be sore, so you might need a 2 day or so break.
Why does everyone seem to see the goal as learning to sweep pick really fast?
Quote by fretsonfire74
That's the way to do it. Seriously. A few long, and i really mean long, shred sessions are just what the doctor ordered. It's better practicing for 8 hours rather than practicing 8 days in a row for an hour. You get into it, and you start practicing the right way, and it's all uphill from there. Your fingers will be sore, so you might need a 2 day or so break.

wtf.. 8 hours would just be meaningless and annoying if you didn't enjoy it and were just doing mindless techniques only. Try 8 hours of doing variations of stuff or doing it because you WANT to. You can't force yourself to do something you don't want to do because it'll just create mistakes.
+ I've probably been playing nearly 3 years and I can do some sweeps but not others very well. I don't look that deeply into it because I like to spend more time trying to figure stuff by ear. I value ear training more because technical ability comes and goes. You can get the technical end of things when you're ready to perform etc.
Page 1 of 2