Hey UG. So, the question is: does anyone here use DR Hi-Voltage strings? If so, what is the tone like, and do they last long? I'm trying to get a little background on them since I've never used them before. Thanks to all who can help.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
I don't know about the hi-voltages but I've used black beauties for years. I love 'em, they last forever (about 3-4 months with heavy playing) and they sound great, not as bright as d'addarios or ernies. I'd say try 'em, strings are cheap. If you like them, stick with 'em, if not, find something else that you like better.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
I liked the Pure Blues a lot better. The HV's sounded too bright to me and (for some odd reason) felt more abrasive than a lot of other strings. Regarding the longevity, DR's are kind of a gamble in my experience. I've had many DR sets that were the string equivalent of perfect and I've hand many DR sets that lost tone and died quickly.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Dr's are my favorite string. I use the tite-fits, and the tone is thick and warm- not quite as bright as ernine ball's. They have an overall 'smooth' feel that no other strings have. I recommend you try a set of tite-fits, preferably something with at least a 50 guage 6th string- the thicker guages are where DR's shine, IMO.
i use Pure Blues on my strat and Tite-fits on my Ibanez. i love them to death, much better than Slinkies in my opinion, which is what i was using for the longest time.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Hmmm......not sure why the Ernie Ball comparisons started, but I'd rather have a set of Slinky's than anything in the DR catalog to be perfectly honest. It's all subjective anyway. There are no "right" or "wrong" strings, only what sounds good or bad to you.

Regarding your string dilemma, they're only strings and it's not like they're expensive. Give the HV's a try and if they work for you then great, if not then good luck finding some that do.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Thanks all. I've been using GHS and Ernie Ball for years, and I stumbled across these DR's and thought I'd research them. Good advice from all. Thanks again.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet