I'm hearing the hitting of the pick on the strings way too prominently methinks. What would be the main cause of this and how do I fix or make it less noticeable. I'm using a digitech multi-effects pedal a Peavey Bandit 112 and my craptacular Epiphone Les Paul Special II.
You have to change your picking style, or move away from the mic when you're recording.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Turn the gain down or get an EQ pedal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
too much gain?
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
you have AIDS
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by XxRustInPeacexX
you have AIDS

Sadly enough, that's what i was going to say. By the way, I just got Rust In Peace yesterday. Great album.
FREE THE PEAR

Robot Lewis Stevenson of the Timesplitters group! Join!
Turn down the treble and tone on your guitar, that should do the trick.

Quote by freebird_17
get a noise gate? or enable it on your digitech pedal?

That's not what a noise gate does at all; noise gates reduce hum from pickups and noise from other effects, they're used to reduce feedback.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The only noise I can think of is the edge of the pick scraping the grooves on the strings. IF that is the case, then you can pick more perpendicular to the strings... picking at an angle will scrape the edge along the strings and get a zipper sound right before every note, at least on the wound strings.
Does your pedal have compression/sustain? Might try turning that down as well.
upgrading to heavier gauge strings may work, or if the battery in your pedal is weak, replace the battery, if a battery's low on power in a pedal, the quality of sound sort of diminishes and heavy distortion could become a bit more "twangy"
When I'm using a ton of gain and a low amp volume (bedroom volume) I notice the same thing. I can hear my notes being picked, particularly on the higher strings. With the volume on the amp turned up it disappears. Maybe this is it?
I use a Fender Heavy when I pick and I can hear the pick hitting too so is it really the heaviness of the pick or something entirely different?
Too much treble results in a really hard pick attack, particularly with high pickup adjustment...

There are also several factors in your picking technique that could cause issues:

1- Where you pick: the closer to the bridge the more treble and pick attack you'll get. Strumming/picking closer to the 12th fret gives you the least, it starts to go back up if you move further down the neck from there. Find a balance somewhere of course... Maybe over the neck pickup or something.

2- The angle at which you hold the pick: The pick's angle in relation to the strings makes a big difference as to how it deflects or 'attacks' the strings. Try angling the pick so the strings 'roll' of it easier. This doesn't help when you're playing at extremely high speeds (don't have time to really adjust the album), but otherwise it can really change the sound.

3- How hard you pick: obviously bashing the strings like your the next Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead) is going to generate a good deal of pick noise.

Oh... There's a few hardware factors as well:

1- Strings: Heavier gauge stings mellow out pick attack more unless it's particularly brutal...
2- Picks: The pick itself can make a huge difference. The harder and thinner the pick, the more attack; thicker (.8mm and larger) picks tend to reduce the attack greatly.

Hope this helps.
I encountered this problem back when I started playing gigs, as I never really practiced with loud volume or major gain. What I did was turn up the mids a little, and I got a different pick. A harder pick. I used to use a planet waves medium, and loved it. Now, though, I've been using a ukulele pick for nearly 20 years.
Could be your pick I hit strings pretty hard. But it doesnt come thru on the amp. I use a 1 mm fender.