I'm trying to decide which pick ups I want to try, just looking for some outside opinions. I play in a band we play Heavy Rock / Modern Rock whatever you want to call it (you can hear some unfinished / unmixed stuff here http://www.myspace.com/fightingfwrd).

I am looking for some new pickups, I have been looking at DiMarzio D Sonic DP207 (bridge) and PAF Joe DP213 in the Neck. Just not sure if that fits the music type / sound.

I have a Charvel/Jackson that I like the way it plays and sounds (has active pickups not sure what kind says Jackson bought it used) just trying to get away from the FR Bridge as I do not use it. I also have an Epiphone Les Paul (which the pick ups would be for) just not sure if it will make that much of a difference.

As far as amp I am thinking about getting a Carvin V3...just to give an idea of what the guitar / pick ups will be going through. I am currently playing through a Spider II Head and cab...sounds ok just not a tube amp if ya know what I mean.

Anyway...any advice would be appreciated.
I do hard rock/metal/blues and good old rock, and the DiMarzio Evolution hasn't let me down yet as far as a humbucker goes.

I can honestly say, though, that almost any guitar with any pickup through a spider II is going to sound relatively the same due to the extreme amount of processing done by the digital aspects of that amp. You might be able to clear up a lot of your tonal dislikes by replacing the amp instead.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Get the amp first, then you can make an informed decision on pickups - you can't choose pickups based on what you *might* have, you need to know what's wrong with your tone in order to know what you need to do to improve it.

Currently the only thing wrong with your tone is that Spider.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
True...thats a good point. I have heard the Jackson through a Legacy and it sounds great but I have never put the Les Paul through anything other than the Spider or a DI Box at a small early gig.

I will get that amp soon and will wait to try it. I think the guy / wanting to take stuff apart and mod was getting strong, hehe.
i can get great tones with my strat and my digitech df-7 distortion factory. i play through a spider II as well, but i have it on the clean channel with all the knobs turned down. so basically its just a medium and my tone is coming through the guitar and the pedal.

long story short, my amp at least, makes no differance in my tone. and pickups would probably make a bigger difference than others are saying
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
i can get great tones with my strat and my digitech df-7 distortion factory. i play through a spider II as well, but i have it on the clean channel with all the knobs turned down. so basically its just a medium and my tone is coming through the guitar and the pedal.

long story short, my amp at least, makes no differance in my tone. and pickups would probably make a bigger difference than others are saying

With the greatest of respect, the DF7 is a pretty mediocre pedal. The amp is the biggest factor in your tone. Pickups only have a subtle influence and are only as good as your amp, they can't stop something being crap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
With the greatest of respect, the DF7 is a pretty mediocre pedal. The amp is the biggest factor in your tone. Pickups only have a subtle influence and are only as good as your amp, they can't stop something being crap.

i was just saying that with a spider, he has the option to let the pickups have a bigger difference. and he moght not always be playing with a spider. he might go over to a friends house and play thier amp

edit: and if the DF7 is a mediocre pedal, then i wasted $100 on a pedal that i always play with every day and am very pleased with.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Apr 7, 2008,