Yes, yes, it's that time again. Another "WhIcH bAsS sHoUlD i GiTz!?" thread. Fortunately for you guys, I'm not just shooting in the dark right now.

I have a very good idea of what I want. There are two basses which I'm considering. As a relatively new bass player, I don't want something too high-end. As a relatively poor (fiscally speaking) bass player, I don't want something too pricey either. What I'm looking for is value. As a result of reading these forums and my own research, I've decided that I want one of these two:

Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639

-or-

Squier Vintage Modified FRETLESS Jazz Bass
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=519637

Herein lies my dilemma- should I go for the fretless? It does have fret lines, which will help a ton and I was thinking of adding inlays myself (some simple Sharpie work or something - please tell me if that's going to ruin the fretboard because I have no idea). My dad always told me that "real bassists play fretless." But eh, what does he know (a lot more than I do )?

Also, I hear the roundwound strings don't really work too well on the fretless (apparently they ruin the fretboard), which sucks, because I've only ever played with roundwounds and don't know how I will like flatwounds.

I was planning on buying it this summer, once I get my cash flow going. I would not mind having either of these basses, but would you reccommend my getting the fretless?

Thanks a ton in advance.

EDIT: And oh yeah, my band plays mostly classic rock-ish stuff with a little bit of funk and reggae thrown in.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Can you see yourself using the fretless often?

If not, then go for the fretted.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101

+1

Also, have you played fretless before? If you haven't, either try one at a shop or don't buy it.
Quote by Nutter_101

Well whichever bass I wind up getting, I'm going to be using as my primary bass, because both are loads better than the bass I have now.

I have played around with a fretless once or twice. It would take some getting used to, but I like it. I guess I should make a trip to Guitar Center soon and see if they have any fretless basses I can mess around with to try and aid my decision. I do have a while to decide, so I'm in no rush.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Fretless have a wonderful distinctive "mwah". This sound however is not for everyone nor does it apply equally across the board to every song in every genre.

As long as you epoxy the fretboard, roundwounds are not an issue. But for me, switching between the two has never been an issue from a playing perspective. Its a matter of what tone you want from your strings and bass.

If you have a decent fretted bass already, the fretless will definitely push your playing in another direction and for me at least, it pushed me to the next level. But if you have a crappy fretted bass or this is your first, I'd say get a good workhorse fretted bass and a decent amp before the fretless. My two pence /cents.
I'd suggest going and trying out the fretless, just to see if you like the sound of them or not.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?