With all these pickups (single coil, humbucker, active, passive, etc) and variations ( 2 humbuckers, 2 humbuckers and 1 single, one humbucker and 2 singles, etc.) I get extremely confused on what each can do for me. I am a beginner player and getting my first electric so I know very little about pickups and want to get a better understanding at the differences between pickups and the different variations of pickups that can go into a guitar. Is there somewhere I can look these up get a better understanding or can anyone on here help me understand?
Anthony Linhardt
1st. what sound are you looking for? and what is your budget?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
I would like to be able to play metal, classic rock, alternative rock, blues.

Right now I am not worried about a budget for a guitar, just want to understand these different pickups and variations to better plan what would be good for me.

Plus just a general understanding of it all is what I am really after. Just did not know if there was a resource out there that could help me easily understand everything about pickups, variations, etc.
Anthony Linhardt
Last edited by ALinhardt at Apr 7, 2008,
single coils normally are go in a strat or the middle postion of some guitarsb. they are smaller than humbuckers and usually sound thinner.

humbuckers were created to buck the hum that single coils created. they look like two single coils attached to each other. the main side effect of humbuckers is that they give off a warmer fatter tone.

passive pickups are the ones that i just mentioned. they are they\ most common pick ups. active pickups (like EMGs) need batteries and give off a much stronger signal.

since you have so many styles you want to cover, i would suggest a HSS strat. that means that it has one humbucker and two single coils. hence the name HSS. you have the humbucker in the bridge position(which is the most popular pickup-position combination.) for the heavier stuff. you also have the single coils for the not so heavy stuff.

bottom line, i think you would be very pleased with a HSS strat
sorry for the long post
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
^+1.
Also, If you like the Humbucker tone in the neck (I do, a bit fatter and less trebly than single coils), I believe there are HH strats.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.