I'm installing Kubuntu onto my system. Right now I have Vista on one partition, XP on another, a storage partition for backups, and a 20gig partition which is currently empty. It'll be where I want to install Kubuntu.

I have a CD, and I have everything ready to download Kubuntu, but I have an option here and I need some help.

I'm currently here. I want a CD to install Kubuntu onto the partition that I have waiting for it, so that I can boot up into it like I would Vista or XP. I don't want to have one of the live CD things.

So I'd go down to "Alternate Install CD", then choose the appropriate one right? (I think the Desktop CD is a live CD)

Just need some clarification, thanks.
The desktop CD allows you to install. It's the one you want.

Remember though, you'll want to create a boot partition, a swap partition, and a root partition. This could get tricky, as Grub doesn't like being installed on anything other than the first primary partition of the drive. Installing Linux secondary to Windows isn't a good idea, Windows should always be secondary to Linux.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
The desktop CD allows you to install. It's the one you want.

Remember though, you'll want to create a boot partition, a swap partition, and a root partition. This could get tricky, as Grub doesn't like being installed on anything other than the first primary partition of the drive. Installing Linux secondary to Windows isn't a good idea, Windows should always be secondary to Linux.

What could happen if I left Linux as secondary? Last time I tried to install Ubuntu, I ended up formatting everything because something went wrong and I couldn't get back into Windows. I've already backed everything up this time.

And is it hard to change Windows to secondary, and change it back to primary if I don't like Linux?
A reasonable solution would be to install Linux on a completely different hard drive. This way, when you want to boot Linux, you enter your BIOS setup and switch the Linux drive to the first boot device.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Muphin, I think Kubuntu sets up GRUB nicely for you. You just tell it what partition you want to install to, and the set-up program will create the necessary boot and swap partitions and set up GRUB.

However, the Ubuntu family likes to take control over your computer and erases all entries of MBR records (within GRUB, not the actual Windows record!) other than the Ubuntu ones. To get an access option to Windows again, you have to go edit the boot menu file under a grub folder. You can get information about that on the Ubuntu forums.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I tried installing Kubuntu for a friend who already had Windows on his one HD. Grub-install returned an error, saying it couldn't write to the MBR. I figured it was because we couldn't create a boot partition, so I gave up. It's kinda funny, I can install Gentoo, the most user-unfriendly distribution, but fail miserably when it comes to a guided, graphical Kubuntu install.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Thorn, just go sign up for the Ubuntu forums and post your questions there. You will get detailed responses from people with expertise in Ubuntu.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie