K so I have a question about scales... basically you just want to play them, and get faster and faster at them? Or what's really the point of playing scales?

thanks guys
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
scales are what makes every piece of music you have ever heard...basically, the building blocks of chords, solos...pretty much anything. it gets way deeper than that and i could explain it to you but i have to get to work....im sure someone else here will point you in the right direction
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
The only point to playing scales is to help you learn scales. The point of learning scales is to help you understand music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
it's so that you can improvise, write melodies, solos etc with much greater ease than if you just played willy-nilly on the guitar in the hope of coming up with something good. and practising them will improve your fluency, speed, and soloing abilities.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
if u know scales then u can improvise over chords, for example if the first progression starts with a c major chord then u would solo using notes from the c major scale
thanks, so you just wanna practice them and get faster and faster? or how would you practice them?
Gear:
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
Get the the point where you can point to a random note of the scale and say "This is part of the ____ scale" And get to the point where you can use them and understand them in music.
Quote by trutrojan8
thanks, so you just wanna practice them and get faster and faster? or how would you practice them?

No, you don't, you just want to learn them, as in learn how they sound and how they work over chords. There's next to no point in slavishly grinding scales.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No, you don't, you just want to learn them, as in learn how they sound and how they work over chords. There's next to no point in slavishly grinding scales.

Listen to this man. If you want to improve your speed, work on exercises designed to increase speed.
Learning and practicing scales improves your finger dexterity and also teaches you how to effectively play notes one after another. Spending time practicing scales also teaches your ears what notes sound good together in a sequence and which dont (important).

To practice scales, first start with one or two boxes from that particular scale. Slowly play all the notes up and down in the sequence. And then when you can do that without any mistakes , it's time to start playing them to a metronome. Start off slow (like 60 bmp) and then when you can play it perfect, speed it up. After you can play that box with decent speed, start learning the rest of the boxes in that scale. Practice them all until you can play them clean. Once you learn all the boxes you'll pretty much be able to play that scale in any key.
alright thanks for your help guys
Gear:
Bugera 333XL 212