Well i played one of these beasts a few days ago and I really liked it..

Does anyone else like these things or did i get caugh up in the moment?? I coudnt find but a hanful of reviews on these things on my google search so i was just wondering since i really did like this thing so much I might go try it out another few times.
Haven't used a lot of stuff, but the tone from that beast was unbelievable to me. Do Want.
Have you used an original JCM800? All the Kerry King circuit does is drop the mids and turn the gain up a bit more. Throw an overdrive in front of a normal JCM800 and you can get the same tone. Not worth the extra cash.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by jimmy666page666
you happen to have any clips of it just Guitar>Amp?

There are 2 demo's of the amp on youtube (1 from Marshall and 1 from Guitar World), but I believe this is Kerry King playing this amp also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X55fYo2vyag&feature=related

I m a total noob at recording, but I have recorded a few mp3 clips (guitar>amp) with ****ty playing and mistakes on it. It is low quality and recorded in my basement with a Boss Micro BR. If you still want it, send me a PM.
I'd just get a JCM800 and a Tubescreamer tbh.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Have you used an original JCM800? All the Kerry King circuit does is drop the mids and turn the gain up a bit more. Throw an overdrive in front of a normal JCM800 and you can get the same tone. Not worth the extra cash.

Totally wrong, the mids are boosted. You can't get the same tone with a normal JCM800 and an OD, I have tried that already in the past (even with an EQ pedal).
Doesn't the KK signature version have an epic noisegate or something built in?

I mean, I'd rather a JCM800 + an OD + maybe an EQ
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by Brendan.Clace

yep thats what he did in the first place!

though it has a noise gate too (which is crap-ahem)
Quote by Brendan.Clace

Actually, i think the mids are boosted
Ironically....
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by Brendan.Clace

Kerry King boosts his mids with an EQ pedal. The Kerry King JCM800 has a huge mid boost.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by davedoom

It's actually supposed to be studio quality. I saw a GuitarWorld demo of it on TV, it was VERY good quality.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
The amp is not a normal JCM by any means. Heres the story, Kerry King played a few amps and this one had and huge gain boost and sounded a bit different from the pack so he picked it up. And there has been talks between him and Marshall to research it for years but there were a few issues. But they finally got to research it a few years back. The internals were the same but small little anomalies made it different. So they contacted Kerry and struck a deal to reproduce the amp as a signature with the anomalies. Then they copied his mid boost EQ settings (Same thing Dimebag did to his Randalls) and added a noise gate. So this amp is the total package no pedals needed just plug in and go. Which makes it pretty smooth in my book and it sounds really good. Also the noise gate is extremely good in this amp. I never thought i would buy a Marshall tube amp until i played this one.

So with that said a normal JCM 800 will not sound like this amp does even with pedals.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Apr 7, 2008,
Why would you want to sound as muddy as KK...

Looks like a fine ampalifier... a little on the expensive side though (i would personally never pay that much for a marshall unless it was from the 70s)
Quote by Highwaytohell
Why would you want to sound as muddy as KK...

Looks like a fine ampalifier... a little on the expensive side though (i would personally never pay that much for a marshall unless it was from the 70s)

Good call. I would buy a Splawn QR before you could say uncle before I bought a Marshall...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by davedoom

Nope, also wrong on both points. The opposite is true.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
The amp is not a normal JCM by any means. Heres the story, Kerry King played a few amps and this one had and huge gain boost and sounded a bit different from the pack so he picked it up. And there has been talks between him and Marshall to research it for years but there were a few issues. But they finally got to research it a few years back. The internals were the same but small little anomalies made it different. So they contacted Kerry and struck a deal to reproduce the amp as a signature with the anomalies. Then they copied his mid boost EQ settings (Same thing Dimebag did to his Randalls) and added a noise gate. So this amp is the total package no pedals needed just plug in and go. Which makes it pretty smooth in my book and it sounds really good. Also the noise gate is extremely good in this amp. I never thought i would buy a Marshall tube amp until i played this one.

So with that said a normal JCM 800 will not sound like this amp does even with pedals.

+1

Only downside is the pricetag.
Quote by laurens666
Nope, also wrong on both points. The opposite is true.

its just not a very good amp

its slightly muddy and Marshall cant make anything top standard anymore

ive tried pretty much every single Marshall and owned all the 800s and 900s and i know for a fact that KK model sounds like a very sub-standard original 2203.

any famous player only sticks with Marshall a) because of endorsements and its all free or b) because they have them modded to hell from someone like Van Halens man
Quote by davedoom

ive tried pretty much every single Marshall and owned all the 800s and 900s and i know for a fact that KK model sounds like a very sub-standard original 2203.

any famous player only sticks with Marshall a) because of endorsements and its all free or b) because they have them modded to hell from someone like Van Halens man

This is why I'm a splawn nut. They are basically EXTREMELY hot-rodded JCMs with much better cleans (on the new models) and amazing amounts of gain, punch, and bite. AND they are handmade, tubed however you want them, In any color tolex, in several different kinds of shells (I.e Plexi shell or JCM800 shell). Randy Rhoads white with gold piping plexi shell anyone . They also have footswitchable volume and gain boosts... The only thing these amps do not have is built in reverb , and the fact that if you dont order from a dealer it takes a while to build a custom one. But they are of much better quality AND cheaper than the marshalls. www.splawnguitars.com

go to erock503's profile page and hear the clip of beastlyness
Quote by Highwaytohell
This is why I'm a splawn nut. They are basically EXTREMELY hot-rodded JCMs with much better cleans (on the new models) and amazing amounts of gain, punch, and bite. AND they are handmade, tubed however you want them, In any color tolex, in several different kinds of shells (I.e Plexi shell or JCM800 shell). Randy Rhoads white with gold piping plexi shell anyone . They also have footswitchable volume and gain boosts... The only thing these amps do not have is built in reverb , and the fact that if you dont order from a dealer it takes a while to build a custom one. But they are of much better quality AND cheaper than the marshalls. www.splawnguitars.com

yeah they are superb! i do very much like the gain structure on them - such dynamic amps

one day i'll buy a Mojave Peacemaker - blew me away
Quote by Highwaytohell

Spokesperson much?
Yeah, they do sound pretty awesome though
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by davedoom

Come on, be a sport and admit you were wrong on the mids thing. Now you start talking presonal preference here. Don't like the new Marshalls, fine with me. DSL and JVM are good series IMHO. Sub standard to the original, I don't think so, but that is my taste and experience with 800's. And again, part of this amp is certainly not an original 800, but a hot rodded one, so what do you compare it with? If you say muddy, then your EQ is not set right. It gets a bit muddy when the gain/boost is over-the-top.

As for the endorsements, yes this can be deceptive. Enough other (sub par) brands do that as well.
Quote by laurens666
Come on, be a sport and admit you were wrong on the mids thing. Now you start talking presonal preference here. Don't like the new Marshalls, fine with me. DSL and JVM are good series IMHO. Sub standard to the original, I don't think so, but that is my taste and experience with 800's. And again, part of this amp is certainly not an original 800, but a hot rodded one, so what do you compare it with? If you say muddy, then your EQ is not set right. It gets a bit muddy when the gain/boost is over-the-top.

As for the endorsements, yes this can be deceptive. Enough other (sub par) brands do that as well.

yep, totally - i totally misread that what he said when the fact King has a very mid-punchy based sound, that was a mistake

in relation to muddy - i am just comparing it to amps ive just increased my range to - and ive finally stuck on either Orange or Engl - the voicings are wildly different but both have that hard rock thud and even though they can hit high gain - they produce the hard rock gain that i seek, superbly well (grammer is pisspoor tonight, ah who cares)
unfortunately it comes down to cost cutting with Marshall and lower quality parts - never would i run a modern M. at full whack for very long - i can see those output t's flaming from miles away

you make some good points.
Quote by davedoom
yep, totally - i totally misread that what he said when the fact King has a very mid-punchy based sound, that was a mistake

in relation to muddy - i am just comparing it to amps ive just increased my range to - and ive finally stuck on either Orange or Engl - the voicings are wildly different but both have that hard rock thud and even though they can hit high gain - they produce the hard rock gain that i seek, superbly well (grammer is pisspoor tonight, ah who cares)
unfortunately it comes down to cost cutting with Marshall and lower quality parts - never would i run a modern M. at full whack for very long - i can see those output t's flaming from miles away

you make some good points.

Cheers, mate. I dig Engl too, but they can be more expensive over here (eg. Invader > JVM). I never had reliability issues with Marshall (yet). Will put it to the test more But something tells me every modern amp company will look for cost cutting, perhaps except for the boutique amps. I did look into modding used marshalls, but I do not trust every mod company and I am afraid of quality issues when buying a modded amp.
Quote by laurens666
Cheers, mate. I dig Engl too, but they can be more expensive over here (eg. Invader > JVM). I never had reliability issues with Marshall (yet). Will put it to the test more But something tells me every modern amp company will look for cost cutting, perhaps except for the boutique amps. I did look into modding used marshalls, but I do not trust every mod company and I am afraid of quality issues when buying a modded amp.

if you ever come across Voodoo amps mods or especially José Arrendondo - who did Sykes and Van Halen amps - then go for them

some say Mark Cameron does good mods, but im not sure on the top feedback for this...
Just bought this amp today and i must say that so far so good!
It gives me the balance of 2 different sound styles i require.
IN a chord based rock band..Sounds great for it, Using a tele.
And a Metal band, nice n chunky..Using a Kh3 esp.
Quote by davedoom
if you ever come across Voodoo amps mods or especially José Arrendondo - who did Sykes and Van Halen amps - then go for them

some say Mark Cameron does good mods, but im not sure on the top feedback for this...

yeah, those are all great modded versions of the Marshalls. Splawn made his name modding Marshalls too before he made his own amp line, so those are some to keep an eye out for. The Cameron modded Marshalls are great sounding amps, but you have to find them used. There have been people waiting 3 years with their amp at Camerons, waiting for them to get modded, so it's a risky proposition sending him an amp. If it says anything about the sound quality though, most people still want their amps modded, rather than just taking their money and amps back, which is crazy to me.

Quote by Riffbear
Just bought this amp today and i must say that so far so good!
It gives me the balance of 2 different sound styles i require.
IN a chord based rock band..Sounds great for it, Using a tele.
And a Metal band, nice n chunky..Using a Kh3 esp.

congrats man, put up some clips when you get a chance. It's one of the only current production Marshalls that's peaked my interest.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I thought it was significantly better than the other current production models, but I'm still of the opinion that Marshall hasn't made a great amp since the original 800's went out of production. The KK Sig still had a good bit of the original 800 response, even if the tone is a bit different. I've come to pay more attention to how an amp responds to the guitar playing over the years.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
I thought it was significantly better than the other current production models, but I'm still of the opinion that Marshall hasn't made a great amp since the original 800's went out of production. The KK Sig still had a good bit of the original 800 response, even if the tone is a bit different. I've come to pay more attention to how an amp responds to the guitar playing over the years.

The tone is different because of the KT88 tubes and the boosted mids (when you engage the "beast" switch). I have been searching for a JCM 800 which could pull off this crunchy trash metal sound, without a ****load of pedals, for a long time. A good mod is hard to find here, or at least I didn't find it yet and I was a bit afraid of these homemade mods.
I've played one and they ****ing rock. Love the distortion you get with them.

BTW, i dont like to play metal, so that should say a lot about how i thought of the amp. It sounds WAY different than a regular JCM800. Way more distortion and a little drop in mids.

Great amp, go for it!
Yeh i got mine and love it.
im using a Fender deluxe tele and its the bomb.
Im just wondering if i should get a mod to make it switch to the gain?