Hey,

Ive got a few problems with my new strat. Bascially I got it with the factory setup.. I lowered the bridge and set the intonation. Here are the problems:

The action is still really high (Lowering the bridge seemed to make it worse). If I lower the action I get a sort of buzzing sound. It's not like full on fret buzz, just a kind of faint rattle / slight buzz, it doesn't go on and on like really bad fret buzz. I don't know if you can hear it through the amp or not. Is this normal? My other guitar did it as well.

The other thing is, if I lower the action how will it affect the intonation? Will it make it more sharp or more flat?

Thanks
start with a level bridge. if you are unsure if intonation is affected by adjustments, just fret the string at the 12th and see if it's in tune.

and some buzz not thru the amp is normal.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
and some buzz not thru the amp is normal.

Ahh, I was afraid of that

It can be annoying cause I don't play that loud when im playing on my own.

Oh and when I set the intonation earlier.. everything was fine then 10 mins later it was slightly out again (Too sharp). It seems like you have to turn the screw loads just to get it to flatten by a tiny bit.
^^if the guitar stops buzzing because of a thicker gauge, that means that the neck was backbowed. and the thicker strings added relief and made the guitar more playable.

^ if your tuning isnt stable the bridge might be a little lifted.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Zolderzombie
My MIM strat did the same with the string that came with it (0.9). I replaced the strings with .10's and intonated it, and the buzz was gone. I also prefer .10's because i think they sound better, but that's just my opinion.

I prefer .10's as well, this is actually the first time ive used .9's. I took off the factory strings though and replaced them with Ernie Ball Super Slinky.
^yeah sometimes the thicker string sits better in the nut. but it increased the bow too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Oh, one other thing I forgot... the low E seems to vibrate alot.. When you hit and look at the string it vibrates like a downtuned string
is the bridge lifted? if you dont know what this means then say something.

and check ur intonation (tuning at the 12th)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
is the bridge lifted? if you dont know what this means then say something.

and check ur intonation (tuning at the 12th)

I just lifted bridge and seems better. It mustn't have liked the bridge being flat. Though I thought you needed a flat bridge to beable to set the intonation properly?

I just checked my intonation.. Low E and G are out a little bit... Im gonna lower the action before I fix the intonation again though
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
Oh, one other thing I forgot... the low E seems to vibrate alot.. When you hit and look at the string it vibrates like a downtuned string

Hey, that happens to my American Strat, haha. Dunno what it is, but it plays fine.
Since Ive got a thread going here, I might as well ask.. What's the best way to clean the body of the guitar without ruining the paint / wood. It's covered in grubby fingerprints
damp cloth/Guitar polish.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
just to add, make sure it's a guitar cloth. some cloths seem smooth but can leave scratches or swirl marks.

and if you were having problems with a bridge flat against the body, then that means the springs probably were too tight. or uneven in some way.

a small lift in the bridge can be fine as long as you keep the nut cuts lubed, and the bridge is balanced with the strings pull.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Take it in get it setup by a pro and ask if you can watch. Strats can be really tricky to get them to play right. Sounds like you need a little relief but its hard to say without measuring anything.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd