i know there are probably threads on this but i couldnt find any, anyway i was just wondering how do you pick with three fingers without doing the 'iron maiden rhythm'?
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
You mean gallops? It takes practice. Practice playing straight 8th notes very slowly and keep them even. Its weird at first b/c when counting "1-2-3-4" the 1 changes from index, to middle, to ring, back to index and so on. Just keep at it.

Also, I've used exercises like playing a scale, plucking first with your index and middle, then play the same scale again with your index and ring, and then your middle and ring, then all three together. Keep the scale very slow and even until you get used to using your ring finger just like your index and middle.
The same way you use two, just throw the ring finger in at the end until you're comfortable with that. Then, you can mix up the order and jump strings.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
try playing easy stuff like Blink 182 that uses loads of 8th notes all strung together with three fingers and count 12312312 and just go like that.
Quote by Hammerzeit
try playing easy stuff like Blink 182 that uses loads of 8th notes all strung together with three fingers and count 12312312 and just go like that.

Don't count a 4/4 song in 3. Count it as "1-2-3-4." It will help you get a sense of how to use your odd number of fingers in even meter songs.
If you want to avoid naturally getting into a galloping rhythym, then this is the best way to go:

1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1... etc
or:
3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3... etc
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
you need them alot. look at confined by as i lay dying, when youre around by motion city soundtrack ,etc
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
i've been trying a 3-2-1-3-1-3-2-1 thing for a little while now. i find it works well with non galloping. also i like to slip in a quick triplet burst into normal playing.
so do you do index first coz i find it more comfortable doing ring then middle then index?
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
One thing that I suggested my students try is bend from the middle knuckle to pluck the string instead of full finger motion. It balances out all three fingers and can be easier to get an even attack. It does take practice to get proficient at.
A tip that I shamelessly stole from Billy Sheehan, but I found it does make a difference.
Speaking of Billy Sheehan, he goes 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 and doesn't get that rhythm. However, he does his best to play four notes per string, so that each successive string leads off with another finger.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
if you put a little emphasis on the 4th beat you wont get the triplet feel
like *3*-2-1-3-*2*-1-3-2-*1*... etc.. i believe Alex Webster does that. you probably wont be worrying about it if your going 200+ bpm, but if you practice it you wont even think about it, your fingers will just go with it.

Also try the 3-2-1-2 technique. I use it a lot, and it makes some passages easier.
But if I'm playing a straight-up 200 bpm+ 16th note passage I do 3-2-1. its more comfortable for me.
Last edited by ScreamBloodyGor at Apr 8, 2008,
I used to two finger pick and I've just started learning with two. I've noticed that I tend to synchronize the movements of my fretting and plucking hand.

So for example, if I'm playing ascending notes with my fretting hand starting from the index finger down to the pinky, I pluck the strings in the same sort of order - index, middle, ring, index. And the same goes for when I'm fretting descending notes, I tend to start with my ring and work down to the index. And this is really hard to change for some reason.

Is this a bad habit to get into or does it not matter once you get proficient with three-finger picking?
Quote by thefitz
Speaking of Billy Sheehan, he goes 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 and doesn't get that rhythm. However, he does his best to play four notes per string, so that each successive string leads off with another finger.

actually, i've spoken to him on myspace, he goes 3213 2132 1321 etc
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Quote by bass dude nick
actually, i've spoken to him on myspace, he goes 3213 2132 1321 etc

OK, I got it backwards. The point I was making though is that he picks his fingers in order, and never ever doubles back. Like you said, he does 3213 2132 as opposed to 3212 3212.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..