Page 1 of 4
just wanna see some custom designs people have made up, body or just template. ill post mine in a bit when my cam is charged.
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
Here's my prefered custom shape so far. I think the influences are pretty obvious... The body is alder, with a 1/4" thick inlaid maple top plate :

There's a Strat-style tummy cut at the back. The tailpiece is a custom design too, which allows stringing both through the body and on top. That particular guitar has a bolted neck. The neck joint is PRS-style, extending under the neck pickup.

There's no clear coat yet. Still trying to decide if I keep that "washed-denim" look, or go for a flashier stain on the maple plate, which has a little flame and birdseye in it. We'll see.

Now, sorry for this, but I feel obligated to say that that shape is copyrighted by me Joel Rainville, and that while using the exact shape for personal use is fine (I'd be flattered in fact!), I do not give the right to any guitar manufaturer, big or small, to use it for commercial purposes. At least, not without contacting me first. This might sound a bit paranoid or... well, ambitious on my part, but I just wanna make sure that if I decide some day to start a small production of those, I'll be able to, and I'll be the first one to offer that particular shape. I just really like it. Again, sorry.

Here's what it looked like on paper, 4 or 5 years ago (look where I wanted the controls! ) :

First alder body fresly routed :

Last edited by Joel Rainville at Apr 7, 2008,
^^^^^ that's hot
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by Joel Rainville

Now, sorry for this, but I feel obligated to say that that shape is copyrighted by me Joel Rainville, and that while using the exact shape for personal use is fine (I'd be flattered in fact!), I do not give the right to any guitar manufaturer, big or small, to use it for commercial purposes. At least, not without contacting me first. This might sound a bit paranoid or... well, ambitious on my part, but I just wanna make sure that if I decide some day to start a small production of those, I'll be able to, and I'll be the first one to offer that particular shape. I just really like it. Again, sorry.

i dont want it to copy i just want to see peoples ideas. nice shape by the way. looks awsome the way it is.
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
Quote by garrett7
i dont want it to copy i just want to see peoples ideas.

I know, I know, that's not what I meant. I just don't want to get screwed by a manufacturer or small shop/luthier looking for a new design. Unless I'm on the payroll. That's what worries me a little. Although I could probably be sued myself for the obvious Strat/Jazzmaster/PRS curves...

But if anyone here is looking for a custom shape for his own personal build and likes mine enough to want to use it, I'd be happy to make copies of my templates for you. No worries there. It's when money-making gets in the way that I get paranoid... I'm sure you all can understand that. I'm poor and have to work 8 to 5 to stay at a decent level of poverty. If I ever can get started building these for a living, I'd like to be able to, that's all.

Thanks for the compliments.
Last edited by Joel Rainville at Apr 7, 2008,
Here's mine. This is number 2 of 2. Cut from a solid block of alder. Two push pull pots. One splits the coils and the other switches between two capacitors. Schaller roller bridge. Handmade bone nut. Used four hand tools to make the body (palm sander, cordless drill, jigsaw, and a Dremel). Painted with laquer auto touch-up paint.
Here's a shape I like. Not really a custom shape, it's clearly Strat inspired, and is actually a production guitar (G&L F100) :

Kind of a rounder Strat. I like it.
Badorphan, that shape is incredible. Kinda looks like an insect. Love the way you mounted the jack. Really nice.
Quote by Badorphan
Here's mine. This is number 2 of 2. Cut from a solid block of alder. Two push pull pots. One splits the coils and the other switches between two capacitors. Schaller roller bridge. Handmade bone nut. Used four hand tools to make the body (palm sander, cordless drill, jigsaw, and a Dremel). Painted with laquer auto touch-up paint.

You sir are extremely talented.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Hey thanks, Joel. The shape was inspired by an antique tailoring device, but I can't help but think that the New York Yankees logo might have had something to with it as well.

edit; and thank you too, shred.
Quote by Badorphan
t I can't help but think that the New York Yankees logo might have had something to with it

Oh, right, definitely can see it. Funny how stuff from your everyday life can influence your creations...
badorphan that looks awsome.

keep em coming
Quote by Roc8995
To Joel Rainville,

How did you go about copyrighting your guitar design? (Awesome guitar, BTW)

I have a few designs of my own that i'm very...squemish about showing the public in fear of somebody ripping off my work for a profit.

Thanks
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
^I thought copyrights were automatic... Meaning, if you can prove that you made up the design, and can put a timestamp on it, then you have the copyright.
Badorphan, love the color\graphics on that one.

Years ago, my very first guitar, I bought at a yard sale for like $25 or something.
It was one of those really cheap and crappy guitars I think everyone has seen.
Kind of a cross between tobacco and cherry sunburst. Strat style shape.
I kept the neck and made a new body out of 2 pieces of 1 inch thick plywood.
I also soaked it in thinned out epoxy resin (the kind you use for fiberglass) before I did the final trimming\sanding.
The body shape was explorer-like except the horn was curved.
Sign the design with your signature and print your name on it and date it.

Then put it in an envelope and send it to yourself

DONT open it, and then envelope will have a date of when it was posted to you from the post office.

Voila copyrighted.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Sign the design with your signature and print your name on it and date it.

That works. So does posting on a forum under your name I think. The post has a date so that anyone copying your design would have to prove they designed it before you posted pictures of it.

The problem is enforcing this. Proving you are the original designer is relatively easy. But if you don't have the money, time and will to defend your design in court, it's a lost case. But still, better try and protect your design than do nothing at all...
^ The forum wont legally copy right it, you cant prove who you are, and zapp could easily just change the date on the forum, making your post void.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
^ The forum wont legally copy right it, you cant prove who you are, and zapp could easily just change the date on the forum, making your post void.

Some forum software record the originating I.P. address. That's a good enough proof of who you are.

But I'm no lawyer, and this thread is heavily drifting. So enough of the copyright crap (although it's entirely my fault), and show us more custom designs please!...

thats mine. dont care if you want to make it aslong as you ask me first and send pics when yuour done.
Quote by Roc8995
Yeah, i've heard of the whole time stamp thing on the computer, and have used that method, I was just wondering if he had used a better, more reliable method.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
Quote by garrett7

thats mine. dont care if you want to make it aslong as you ask me first and send pics when yuour done.

haha....it's cool
It reminds me of Batmobile
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
haha....it's cool
It reminds me of Batmobile

Reminds me of :

It's a Jackson Pablo Santana Extreme Concept.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
I have two in my head that will be made eventually. One is too out there to explain, my other is just pretty much a doublecut explorer (imagine the top part of the explorer "hollowed out" to make it a double cut).
Quote by Ventor
Reminds me of :

It's a Jackson Pablo Santana Extreme Concept.

dam it. all this time i thought i had an original design and you have to show me that! haha
Quote by Roc8995
Quote by garrett7
dam it. all this time i thought i had an original design and you have to show me that! haha

Don't worry about it, yours will still be unique, and I haven't seen many with that shape before.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
lol thanks. gonna maybe make it in the summer.
Quote by Roc8995
Quote by Joel Rainville
Here's my prefered custom shape so far. I think the influences are pretty obvious... The body is alder, with a 1/4" thick inlaid maple top plate :

There's a Strat-style tummy cut at the back. The tailpiece is a custom design too, which allows stringing both through the body and on top. That particular guitar has a bolted neck. The neck joint is PRS-style, extending under the neck pickup.

There's no clear coat yet. Still trying to decide if I keep that "washed-denim" look, or go for a flashier stain on the maple plate, which has a little flame and birdseye in it. We'll see.

Here's what it looked like on paper, 4 or 5 years ago (look where I wanted the controls! ) :

This is what the fender jag-stang should have looked like IMO.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by Joel Rainville

that is awesome..how much did it cost you to make? i love the color (or lack of), it is sweet.
Quote by DuhSpesoBoyz
that is awesome..how much did it cost you to make? i love the color (or lack of), it is sweet.

Thanks. With *everything* taken into account, and I mean everything, including the yet to be applied nitrocellulose finish, shipping charges from suppliers and duty fees, I have about $500 in each build, which isn't too bad. I consider that guitar to be on the same level of quality as your average $1000-$1500 offerings, in my not so humble opinion. Can't wait to get one of my guitars to an experienced performing guitar player and confirm that theory.

nuthinbuttrubl8, the Jag-stang actually came to mind when I first got that shape on paper. I remember how disappointed I was when I first saw the Jag-stang in a guitar magazine, and that disappointment just got worse when I got to hold one in a music store. Glad to hear my design doesn't appear as deformed and unpleasing aesthetically as the Jag-stang! Thanks!
Quote by Punk_Ninja
(imagine the top part of the explorer "hollowed out" to make it a double cut).

I wanna see that in drawing, you might have something pretty there.
Just to drop one more item about copy-righting. Just having proof that you came up with the design is not enough. You have to register it in order to be able to sue from infringement. I'll try to post the cad drawing of the guitar i am working on soon.
Joel,

i remember when the jag-stang was being talked about after kurt kobain killed himself (yet another year has passed just 3 days ago... moment of silence for Layne Staley and Kurt Kobain...) and how the napkin sketch looked kinda cool but when that hideous atrocity came out i almost puked. your style is classy... it's a nice mix of strat, jag, prs and a touch of personal flair. i'd actually make that guitar if you sent me the full size template. i think it's neat lookin.

I already have my next build planned, though. I went on the jackson custom shop virtual guitar website and put together the king V i always wanted. I had a natural korina dave mustaine signature KV1 for 7 whole days but didnt like the tone and couldnt see spending 1350 bucks (i was only 15 or 16 and didnt have much money) on something i didnt like. I've always loved the shape though so i've decided on a quilted maple, natural finish king V T-O-M bridge, string thru...

Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
This is what the fender jag-stang should have looked like IMO.

Well said.

eesh, the Jag-Stang was a hot mess, it looked awkward and poorly thought out. Shame, it COULD have looked pretty good.
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
Last edited by RazzRocket at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by Joel Rainville
I wanna see that in drawing, you might have something pretty there.

I have one scribble up here and one I did at school today when I was bored. The one from school is better but now in a bin at school. . . .
I'll try and get one up

thats my current status of my build.
the shape has changed from ...

and then again to

and then changed to a DC version
A mishmash of the Jackson King V, Gibson Flying V and the Alexi Laiho sig:
(except you have to imagine a plain wenge fretboard instead, and a nice sunburst maybe)

Coming to a universe near you this summer! (hopefully...)

edit: @Joel: that is ****ing beautiful. You should get patents for that design.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Last edited by Kanthras at Apr 9, 2008,

Got some curly maple lying around so this summer it's being born
The Arsenal:

88/89 Fender HM Strat
Epiphone Valve Jr

Lag Winter series acoustic

Hohner Marine Band harmonica

you should have stuck with this one
Gear