Page 2 of 9
Oh cool, thanks a lot. I'll check them out.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Finally, another update. Things are finally going to start moving here! We should be getting to the actual workshop sometime in the next week or so. My dad and I are going to buy this piece of flamed maple tomorrow. I love the contrasting yet bookmatched figure.
(picture removed)

I believe I've finally decided on a finish. I'm going to go with a natural finish with some sort of stain, nothing too drastic. Along with that, I will have black hardware. Tell me your opinions!

To RFer, no, it's not the Music Man neck. It's a Super Seven neck from Warmoth, 25'' scale. It's damn thin too, maybe even as thin as the Music Man, but I can't be sure.

Does anybody know where I can find ferrules in sets of 7, or anywhere to buy them individually? I'd like to not have to buy 3 sets of 6.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Jun 18, 2008,
it looks cool but, 1300 is alota money 4 a school project lol, hope the guitar sounds awsome when finished!
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
All these awesome builds are making me want to try one this summer. Nice choice of wood BTW. I think black hardware will look infinitely badass with it. Gold is a bit too normal with a nice natural finish.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Haha yeah, it is a lot for a school project, but it's also mainly for me. The project was just another reason for my parents to help me out with the costs of building a guitar. It's down to around $1200 now, which is a lot better than the original $1500. We've been able to save quite a bit on certain things.

a4lrocker, I was going to go with gold hardware, but then I decided to go with a natural finish for the sake of easiness as well as saving money, and the idea just grew on me. Black DEFINITELY looks better with a natural finish.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Ah, there it is... A good prospect. Be sure to measure, measure again and then double-measure to make sure the sandwiched pinstripe will be at the right height on the bevels.
Haha don't worry...my dad and I are going to be very cautions about this.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Alright, finally gonna get somewhere! Today my dad and I went to meet the guys who are going to help us out. They own a custom cabinet making shop, and have enough experience to be able to help us with all the routing. They also have materials and things we can use, and if they don't have them, they can get them for very cheap for us.

Today was basically a meeting about how we're going to do, what we're going to do, and when we're going to do it. They have a 1-piece mahogany block (about 20''x21'') that we're going to end up using as the body. It's about 20 years old. The maple should come in tomorrow, so we'll have all the wood. They also have some thin veneers that we can use for the middle layer of wood, and a vacuum table that we're going to use to glue the top on to the guitar.

In two weeks, we're going back there to make the hard template for the guitar, plane down the block of mahogany to a smaller size, glue on the top, and cut out the actual body blank. Then, I'm not sure what's going to happen the rest of that day, if anything else.

A week after that, we're gonna head back and cut out the body shape and route out all of the pickup cavities, control cavities, and neck pocket, and drill all of the holes necessary. After that, it's pretty much all up to me to file and sand down the bevels, finish the guitar, and attach the hardware. Hopefully all will go well!

Keep in mind that this place is about an hour away, and their best day for us is Saturday. I have the feeling I'm going to feel very impatient about this because I can't wait to see the finished product. Also, these guys will be doing most of the dirty work. I'm supplying the maple top, the template, and the neck, and they're basically routing out the pockets and doing all the stuff I wouldn't be doing on such an expensive build (that MIGHT not run quite as much as we expected).

I'll have pictures of the maple tomorrow, assuming it comes in. Hopefully somebody is still reading this so I don't feel like I'm wasting my time.

I still need a set of 7 ferrules...would my best bet be to buy 2 packs of 6?

-Joe
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

PICTURES!
the maple arrived this morning, it looks AWESOME! It's got a les paul drawn on it, but that'll be sanded off soon.
We also bought 2 500k volume/tone pots and 1 500k push/pull pot for the coil tap. I might take pictures of those later but I don't really think it's necessary.

The lighting wasn't great, but here they are:

theres a close-up of the grain.

Tell me what you think!

-Joe
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

^sexy
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
^True, I might go with a slight blue accent on the top, but I might just keep it natural. I'll decide that when it's finished to see how i like it.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Sounds cool. I wish Warmoth offered something besides 25" and 28 5/8" scale for a 7 string neck. Too short and too long. Just give me a damn 27" neck

Looks good, though
Thanks...Yeah, I wish I could've gotten like 25.5 or 27, but I can't really complain, because I got the neck and it looks AWESOME! Slightly quilted birds-eye maple with stainless steel frets and ebony fretboard, and an amazing satin finish. I wasn't going to attempt a neck build, because thats like THE most important part, and I have near no experience with woodworking.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Self bumpage...heres a lame picture of the pots: 2 volume, 1 push/pull tone.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Looking good man
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
tru but still
it looks good
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
Nice. Oh, I never said thanks to you haha

Self bump...

woot, red envelope next to thread.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Ah I moved them to a different album in photobucket...Let me fix it
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Theres been a change in schedule. Sometime after July 4th, we're going to go in to do all of the cutting and routing. The guys we're working with have a project they have to get finished, and don't have time for much extra work. There is a good side to this, though. We're going in on two consecutive days, one day to get the body blank made with the top glued on and everything, and maybe a bit more. The very next day, we're heading in to do all of the cutting and routing, and then I'm going to get a good idea of what exactly I need to do to sand out all the bevels well and do the finishing. This should be taking shape very quickly. I'll definitely take loads of pictures.

More news: we ordered pickups last night, as well as the schaller strap locks. Dimarzio Blaze 7 Neck in the neck position should be here in a couple days along with the strap locks, and the Dimazrio D-Sonic 7 should be here a few days after that (was backordered for like 4 days). More pics soon!
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

MORE PICTURES! Finally, I feel slike something is getting done. The Blaze 7 Neck and the Schaller Strap Locks came today. The D-Sonic has been backordered further until July 4th, so it should get here a few days after that. I thought the parts would be here Friday, but sadly, they weren't. I almost thought they wouldn't be here today either. I saw the USPS truck drive by across the street, and watched it keep going, not stopping at my house. As my friend and I stepped outside to walk to Sonic, a package sits on my porch! I was relieved. Now, pictures you've (hopefully) been waiting for!

Here is the box for the Straplocks. Looked different than I expected, but made no difference to me.

It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to take them apart and how to put them on a strap. When I put them back in the box, I saw the diagram on the back -.- Needless to say, I felt pretty stupid.

Here's my black and creme Blaze 7 Neck pickup. The hardware wasn't in there that sloppily...I just forgot to take a picture of it before I put it back in the box.

Here's a good (upside-down) picture of it still sitting in the plastic container (which was way too hard to take off and put back on without feeling like you're going to rip it apart, but most people would probably be ready to put the pickup on once they took it out. Not me, though. I wanted to see the whole thing.)

Here is the pickup on the carpet with the wrench and screws.

After July 4th, I should have another few pictures of the D-Sonic 7, then hopefully soon after, heading to the workshop!

Comments are welcome.

-Joe
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Jun 23, 2008,
Hey you might want to check your spelling. Relieved not releived.
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Your such a tease!

Still cant wait for this to kick off big style

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
sounds cool..good luck
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Thanks guys

Quote by Absent Mind
Your such a tease!

Still cant wait for this to kick off big style

Hahaha...Me either. If everything had gone according to schedule, the body would be cut out and everything would be almost finished. Only in a perfect world though, I suppose. Luckily, once we go into the workshop, it'll start to shape up really quickly.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Everybody likes pictures...
And I like taking them because I get more views

I got some more hardware recently...the bridge came in the mail a few days ago, and we went out to some stores today and bought knobs, bolts for the neck, pickup selector switch, and ferrules. I only have 12 ferrules, I need 2 more still. The D-Sonic 7 and tuners are still in the mail. Now all I need are some recessed washers, flush-mount imput jack, a graphite nut, and some shielding tape. Oh...and a body -.-

By the way, should I do a simple Gibson-style placement of the flush-mount jack, or do it on the back, a la Ormsby's "The Vine"?

Heres some pictures for you guys:

This is the template with all of the parts laid out on it (blurry)

Closeup of the body, same layout (blurry again)

Here's the push/pull tone with the black dome knob on it

Here are all the pots with the dome knobs, and the pickup selector.

And one more shot of the pots / knobs / selector

Bridge and top ferrules

And my MIA D-Sonic 7
PS does anybody know where I'd get a bride to recess? >.>

Hopefully that'll keep you guys occupied for a little while longer.

-Joe
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Jun 28, 2008,
I'd do a piezo, but it's my first guitar and I'm trying to not spend a whole lot more money

Although, since re-doing a clear finish wouldn't be incredibly hard, I might go in sometime and put in a piezo and a switch for it. Then again, might be too much work.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

sweet, I can already see it coming together, and I can't wait to see the finished project. Keep up the good work!
Thanks

Btw, I feel weird having every other post in this thread be mine (just about), but I feel weird when I don't respond to whoever posts
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Updates, woot. Actually, it's just pictures pretty much. Hopefully this weekend or next weekend we'll be going in to get the body cutting and routing done.

My tuners arrived while I was on vacation, and my friend Nick (castellorizon) picked them up and held them hostage, that bastard. Also, top ferrules and shielding tape arrived. My D-Sonic is still MIA... no word from MusiciansFiend on when it will be here/why it's late (supposed to be in stock July 4th...but as suspected because it's MusiciansFriend, it wasn't in stock.)

The tuners are Gotoh SG38s.

Different angle

Here's a closeup of the headstock with the tuners and truss rod plate...not sure if I'm going to change that plate or not, it looks cool in black.

Slightly blurry picture showing the headstock with tuners and truss rod plate, with a bit of the neck.

Here's the ferrules and the corner of my bag of crack.

(actually it's not a bag of crack if you hadn't figured that out, I had to order 2 sets of ferrules because there are 7 strings. I now have 12 back and 12 front ferrules -.-)

COMMENT OR DIE

-Joe

O.S.I.

Check out my profile

looks awsome, cant wait for some progress on the body to start happening, this build is amazing, you say your taking it too a shop to cut it for you ? isit being cnc'd ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
I don't think it's being CNC'd, we're just going to bandsaw it and then clean it up. I also think the routing is going to be done by hand as well, because they were talking about making jigs for it. Thanks for the props.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile