Page 3 of 9
yey updates! Looks sweet

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
That guitar looks 7 kinds of sexy. If not more. I haven't decided yet...
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Thanks Neil and Displaced.

Is a Sexy List in order?

>.>
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Yes, I do think a sexy list is in order.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Well you know at least seven, so go ahead and start it
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

That maple looks gorgeous! Since you asked, my vote is a Gibson-style jack mount. I really like the black hardware! For finish, it might look sharp with a dark (I'm thinking purplish-brown, maybe walnut or imbua) stain topped off with a clearcoat.
Thanks! Yeah, I might end up going with the jack in a Gibson-style position, although I think I'm stealing Neil's (absent mind) idea by recessing the jack. It's going to be flush mount, so no jack plate will be needed. I think I'm going to leave it completely natural with just clear coats and whatever else I need to do to finish it off (I don't know much about finishing...but the guys we're working with do). If anything, I'd just do a moderately light brown stain just to darken it up a little bit.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Hehe yeah, I assume most people are. I'm really anxious to get the body going... I, like all of you, can't wait to see it finished

Thanks for the interest guys and shemales.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

hey i didn't hold them hostage. It rained. I was protecting them from the elements. they look good though
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
Quote by james4
sounds cool.

Has anyone else noticed there's been lots of 7-string build threads lately?

Yeah, someone needs to do an 8-string project
^ there is one somewhere.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
I remember seeing the 8-string RG project...what happened to it?
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

I know what your talking about. Maybe he broke down and bought one.
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
You should be inventive about the colors of the stain. I've seen some turn out REALLY badass that use like 3 or 4 different colors of stains to act as a graphics. I don't have any pictures, but one example is a guy that I respect with guitar playing wrote his band's name on his guitar with stain. It was impressive to say the least.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
I've never finished anything before...I'm most likely going to leave it natural for the sake of it being the easiest type of finish. I could change my mind when it's all put together, but I might not. Also, it's the cheapest way. Since I'm spending a lot of money on this guitar, I don't want to risk giving it a bad finish. I might experiment on a cheaper guitar sometime in the future to try out different finishes, and I might refinish this guitar in the future as well.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Sorry, no real updates just yet (but sunday we're going in to finally get some work done! That means more pics! Also, when I get back from boston late friday night, my D-Sonic should be here...wooot)

I just wanted to ask, should I install a SPST temporary killswitch like Buckethead? (yes I know it's a bucket not a box, people who haven't seen the vid tell me all the time). I think it would be a pretty cool thing to have on there. Opinions?
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Sorry for the bad quality of all of these pictures...it's 2:30am and there's no way I'm taking any more.
Alright, more teaser updates (with pics!). Just got back from Boston (got 1st runner up in the Battle for Berklee competition, great experience), and my D Sonic finally arrived while I was gone! So at 1:00am when my dad and I get back from the airport, I open it and take pictures and post them on UG.

We talked to the guys at the shop while on our trip, and we are going in next Saturday (for real this time...I don't expect any more delays.) Then we're going in the Sunday that is the day after, and possibly one more day if we don't get everything finished that we need to get done. Plans got changed because the piece of wood we were going to use had some checks and a few small wormholes, and we didn't want to take any risks.

CAUTION: YOU MUST BE 18 OR OLDER TO VIEW THIS MATERIAL!!

Here's the D Sonic in all it's glory. Oh, and my new volume pedal.

D Sonic 7...that's what it says

Here it is in the box

In the little plastic casing thing (btw whoever packaged the Blaze 7 was a retard...the D Sonic packing was much more organized.)

And one more just because I felt like taking the cliche picture.

Sorry I took so many pictures of one pickup.

By the way, does anybody know the "correct" way to position the Blaze (which coil on top, black or creme)? Thanks in advance.

-Joe
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

And now we're almost complete. What are we missing......? Oh wait, the BODY.
Only kidding. Looks good
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
At least I know how to plug in a distortion pedal into an amp.

O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Jul 19, 2008,
Double post in own thread!

The nut and the input jack got here today from Carvin. I wasn't expecting this for a few more days, but I guess Carvin is 23908x more efficient at shipping than musiciansfriend.

Cutting to the chase:

The back of the nut. I like the sort of tapered-offness of the slots. I checked the thickest and lightest (.056 and .011) strings in their respective slots, everything looks great.

Front side of the nut...boring picture I suppose

The nut up against the fretboard. Perfect size.

Here's the black flushmount jack I ordered

One of the only real in-focus pictures I've taken for this entire thread.

Enjoy! Only a few more days till we get some body work done...This Saturday and Sunday, woot!

-Joe
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Glad to see some shippers are pulling their fingers out.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
^No fingers, just guitar parts.

...I'm funny
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Hey, guys. Long day, but we finally got some work started on the body. Long story short, the maple top almost got ruined, but it'll work great. Since we have two 3/4+ inch pieces of maple, we are going to make 2 bookmatched tops rather than just one huge one planed down. The wood didn't take well to the joiner or the bandsaw (joiner took a few chunks out, the bandsaw blade didn't run a straight line). BUT it pulled through, and it's going to look awesome.

We didn't do any gluing today, because he is going to take the other piece of original maple and make another top out of that on his own time (we only made one top, and this was a worst-case-scenario piece because of what all happened. It still looks great, though.) We managed to salvage a bookmatched top that is 3/8'' thick of the top that almost got ruined.

He put some schellack on it so we could get a look at what the grain will look like, and it's really awesome. Of course, the camera didn't pick up the awesomeness of it. I didn't take much care in getting good pictures or lighting, and the camera was set to "fine", so some of the pictures look grainy.

The original piece of South African mahogany wasn't going to work because it had a few checks and some sketchy wormholes in it. Instead, he bought 63 board feet (2 inch x 15.5 inch by 16 feet) of African Sapele... needless to say, it looks amazing. I think this guitar is going to turn out awesome.

We only got up to resawing one piece of maple and doing most of the template cutting, but next time we go in (late this week, or two weeks from now, depending on when he gets a new bandsaw blade), we should get a lot done. He's going to cut one more cavity on the template and resaw the other piece of maple on his own time, so when we go back in next time, we'll glue the top and finish making the template, and do whatever else needs to be done while we wait for the top to dry. Then, we'll start routing the body and whatnot. Next time it should really start shaping up.

Now, some pictures of progress. I wish the camera did the wood justice, so you'll just have to trust me :-p

Here's a six-foot section of the huge Sapele board.

This is what happened to the wood when we ran it through the joiner.

Here's what it looked like after running it through the sander for about 20 minutes due to the bandsawing mishap. I was happy to see that it still looks very bookmatched although the process was messed up.

With a bit of schellack on the main part of the grain...not that it shows up very well, but meh

Here's the template cemented to the MDF

Rough cut of template

Template sanding (done mostly by me...First time I've ever done anything like that haha)

Here's the template with the bridge recess cut out.

And finally, here's the neck pocket that is going to need slight modification before it is completely done. It ended up being TOO tight after cutting and cutting very thin layers, and then all of a sudden, it became slightly too wide. It's just a template though, so fairly easy fix.

Now, we're finally geting some progress done on the body. Very exciting. Enjoy!

-Joe
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Sounds like fun. Looks pretty good so far
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
very cool. btw did you ever find out where you get a recessed bride?
Same thing happend to my neck pocket too tight... too tight... too tight... Sh!t too loose! But its fine now

BTW there will be no updates on this for a while as Joe is banned untill the start of September.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Dunno he didnt say

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
UNBANNED!!!

Well, even though I was banned for a month, I don't have huge updates, but I do have some, and the body should be really really shaping up soon.

My dad and I went down to the guitar workshop and got some stuff done...maple and sapele glued together, template almost done (rough cuts made for the pickups, everything else was already done).
We shaped up the pickup cavities on the template after we left, they are almost perfect but not quite. We're going to get Matt to help us finalize those. Then the body will be ready to cut. I think we are putting a flamed maple veneer on the headstock, but I am not 100% positive about that.

Now, a few pictures taken with Matt's camera because we forgot ours.

Template before pickup cavities routed

The other half of the original flamed maple top was bookmatched, proving to be much better than the first one.

Matt('s hair) routing the pickup cavities (rough cut)

My dad and I working on some sanding

The sapele getting glued up, this was before we realized that the way he was doing it was going to take forever, so we ended up using something else to spread the glue around.

Clamping... 20 clamps, 5 big strips of wood, should look awesome, right?

That's all I've got for now...Saturday we're heading back up there, be ready for more updates!

PLEASE comment...I've been dying for comments since I've been banned >.>
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Lookin good, bro. Keep up the good work, and keep the updates coming!

Thats an interesting looking nut, what is it?
comments for you!

And yay, updates!

I haven't posted in this thread for a while, but it's still looking like it'll turn out reeally nice.
*waits for more updates*

I'm too tired to write anything intellegent right now.. I'm sure in the morning I'll be back to tell you how much I like it

hahaha,
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.
Thanks guys.

The nut is a Carvin 7-string Graphite nut... pre-slotted, it was like 5 bucks. Plus 11 shipping and handling...but we don't talk about that. It beats buying an unslotted nut for 10 bucks and paying another 40 to get it slotted.

@ccatck, I am not really sure why he decided to try it that way in the first place...
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

looking good man, cant wait to see the body cut on this thing
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT