Page 4 of 9
This builds gunna be sweeeeeeeeeet!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Thanks. I'm reaaaally looking forward to saturday.. Hopefully I wont be sick like I am now. I'll update after I get home from work on saturday, assuming I'm not dead.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Just read all the pages, and this build is looking amazing. I'm glad to see that you're keeping it natural.

Or possibly, a light stain

Great job.
i spread my glue with either a credit card or a plastic spreader knife... it doesnt have to be real thick just coated evenly.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
^Yeah, we used something about the size of a credit card, but it was like a yellow rubber tool with a handle.

BGSM, yeah, keeping it natural. No light stain, hah
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

As promised, UPDATES!

This is starting to take the shape of a guitar...the body blank is beautiful, I am extremely happy with the routing we got done today. When I say "we", I mean, I didn't do any of the routing at all. I watched it. But you know what I always say, better safe than locker. Wait, that wasn't funny.

Anyway, pictures!

Here's the body blank. Win win win.

Body blank from an upper angle. I used flash on all these pictures hoping to capture a bit more of the figure, I think I got it.

The template laying on top of the blank. Unintentional foot shot as well...yes, I did take that picture, somehow.

Here are the sexy pickup routs!

Here is the fence we used for routing the top and bottom of each pickup. We drew parallel lines that were lined up with the radius of the router and...well, it was a long process for something so seemingly simple. Long story short, we moved the fence to four different places all parallel to each other and cut.

Here you get a good picture of the bridge rout (with burn marks, going to be sanded out), and the boxy pickup routs.

Top routing is (pretty much) done! I am REALLY happy with the way everything turned out.

Here is Matt doing some of the routing on the back cavity.

Here is what we were left with on the back cavity. I'm going to clean up the screw supports and sand the cavity cover (made of flamed maple...looks really nice) down to size.

We didn't really use the template except for like rough drawings, but I'm glad, because everything wasn't perfect on the template.

That's about what we got done today. Next time we should have everything done, which is the neck pocket, all of the screw holes, the channels from back cavity to pickup cavities, input jack cavity done, cutting out the body, and the flamed maple veneer on the headstock. Then, I have some sanding/beveling to do, and hook it up to see if it plays. After that, we're going to take it back to him and do some shellacing (sp?) and leave it with him to finish.

Not sure when we're going back up next time, but I'll bring this thread back up before we do, assuming it will be pages back.

COMMENTS!

-Joe
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Sep 13, 2008,
mighty perdy sir!

i'm liking this more and more!

the template for this badboy is just so badass!
------

Shwiggity.
One of the most professional-looking builds on UG at the moment! Well done!

The bridge route looks like it's on a angle - is it meant to be like that? Also, where are you mounting the jack? On the side?
Thanks a lot

Yeah, the bridge is supposed to be mounted on an angle. It would be pretty bad if it was meant to be parallel to the neck/pickups and it turned out like that >.<

I'm not too concerned about the burn marks, they won't be too noticable with the hardware on the guitar.

Also, very minute thing...the bridge pickup rout on the floor-side (when playing), the little cutout for the screw isn't quite as big as the others, just a small thing that needs to be fixed.

Thanks for the comments guys
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Just making sure.

And not to pour water on your fire by any means, but it might be a good idea to stain it, even just a clear coat. I'm not sure what the effects of the sun will have.

EDIT: And An Evening With John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess is an amazing album.
This is looking great, really professional and well thought out
This is going to be the shit when its done
Thanks again, guys. Sorry I reply to like every two posts, but I like to respond..

BGSM, I AM doing a clear coat, but not like a stain that is affecting the color
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

ive just read this thread all the way throught. im impressed man

it looks like its coming along good

cant wait to see it finished..

good luck!
MD5K
IBANEZ
I'm confused, you had a template but didnt use it?

Looks good though...

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
^Yeah we made the template and everything, which really didn't take a WHOLE lot of work, but in the end we found it easier to set up other jigs and tout parallel lines for the top, bottom, and sides of pickups, and he had a router bit the exact size of the bridge rout. We did use the template for the back cavity, though.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Hows the sanding coming?
Quote by Wilma Fingerdo
Regret is a waste of time, coulda, woulda shoulda. Don't bother with it, and so what if you didn't nail her. Hump one of her friends and you'll feel much better.
Hey, Nick. I haven't really done much, we still need to take out part on the back cavity, where the cover plate is going to go. We need to take out the part on the tops of the screw supports. Then I'll start sanding the maple plate to size.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

UG demands an update!
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Heh I'd update, but sadly I can't get anymore work done on this body until we get back to the shop, which will probably be the saturday after this saturday. Maybe sooner, but it's not looking good. Sorry :P
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

DUDEE!!! i've only just seen the pics of the pickup and recces routes done, its looking sweeeeet, you need to get that body cut out bro
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Yeah, I'm reaaaallly looking foreward to whenever we can get into the workshop next. We should have a fully machined body by next update!
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Quick update here, we got the maple cavity cover sanded down to size and we got the back cavity cover support cut out. Here's a few pictures.

Incandescant lighting is really crappy for taking pictures, as you might have noticed. That one was with flash.

Enjoy
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Lookin good, man. Really nice to see that you're not rushing into it like several people seem to do(and like I almost did, lol)
Hahaha yeah, i'm not sure what I'd do if I messed this up beyond repair. I think we're going to touch up the cavity cover support a little bit to suit the cover a bit more, though. It wouldn't be as easy to not rush if we had all the tools :-p
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

You're such a tease Joe

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
^At least I didn't pretend there were updates and just put up a bunch of pictures of little red Xs.

I just tried to find the little red Xs and couldn't
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

ahaha bitch

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
looking slick man, any more work (like body cutting) being done anytime soon? haha
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Thats some pretty good work

I would love to build something similar
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Thanks guys.

@adam, I believe we're going out this Saturday to finish machining the body. After that, it's all beveling/finishing work.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

So I ended up having to wait another week...but the machining is ALMOST completely done!

Progress went somewhat slowly today and we wasted our time doing a few things the hard way...but I have pictures!

Here's what we started with today.

Drilled some starter holes for the through-body strings and the control holes.

Here are the finished* (more on this later...) control holes and ferrule holes (minus the recessed back ferrules)

Probably the easiest yet one of the most critical things about today, the bridge stud holes

Bridge in place, without the studs tapped down because once they're in they're not coming back out.

Rough neck pocket cut

Setting up the neck pocket fence. This took forever because originally we were going to do it one way, and when we had finally set that up, he decided to do it a different way. When we finally set it up and screwed the wood down, we realized the center line was off. So we had to go and reset the whole thing. Basically, we set the neck in the pocket a little close to keep it tight due to the taper (didn't want to take any risks), and pinned up some wood right against it.

Finished pocket:

(continued...)
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Oct 4, 2008,
Right out of the bandsaw

Me actually doing some work

And finally, the close sand (not right down to the line, we're doing that by hand because I didn't want to risk messing it up). I think it looks pretty sexy.

*About the "finished" comment, we thought the cavity holes were completely finished, i.e. we could put the stuff in and screw everything together and have it be fine.

Last time we were up at the shop, we weren't sure how deep we wanted to make the cavity, so we just routed out a good bit of it. We figured that the pots would be too small and we would have to drill little wells for them, and we were right. When we did this, we didn't put the little cavity for the "boss" things on the pots (little tabs that hold them in place) in the right spots, so the pots don't screw in right. Luckily, this is an easy fix.

Also, we drilled the little well for the pickup switcher, but we didn't account for the position of the switch when it is switched in any position besides the middle one. That means that there is no room on either side of the well to switch pickups. Obviously, this is another problem that will have to be fixed.

Also, the wiring is going to be pretty tight, but no biggie...
Luckily, the push/pull tone pot works perfectly

Anyway, I'm up for comments!

-Joe
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

This looks really great! I love the flame on that maple, very nice.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Excellent build.
you are hearing me talk

CHECK OUT MY TUNES ON MY PROFILE

Gear:

laney VC30
tele/jaguar hybrid
Big muff
Small clone chorus
memory boy
Hadrwire RV-7 reverb
DD3 delay
Dunlop Crybaby wah
TS9 overdrive clone
home made tremolo
very very nice, i did my routing before i did my cuts as well, works out very well, doesn't it?
------

Shwiggity.