Page 5 of 9
It's looking very good ... fortunately, you have lots of space in the cavity to fix the minor gotchas. Indulge us with more pics of the back. I assume it'll have an AANJ.

Please remind us what kind of Natural finish you'll use ... Tung Oil, Nitro Clearcoat, etc.?

Quote by Øttər
This looks really great! I love the flame on that maple, very nice.

Quote by 24fRETSoFfURY
Looking good man.

Quote by edwarde
Excellent build.

Thanks guys

Quote by deftonesordie
very very nice, i did my routing before i did my cuts as well, works out very well, doesn't it?

Yes, routing before cutting definitely helps. Especially for the neck pocket where there would be very little wood around the edges during the routing.

Quote by Ippon
It's looking very good ... fortunately, you have lots of space in the cavity to fix the minor gotchas. Indulge us with more pics of the back. I assume it'll have an AANJ.

Please remind us what kind of Natural finish you'll use ... Tung Oil, Nitro Clearcoat, etc.?

I really have no clue on the specifics of the natural finish >.< We're not actually finishing it, because the guy we're working with has some really nice atomizing spray guns that he can do it with. I'll fill you in on the specifics later, though.

The neck joint is going to be like the one on the JP7, but since we're using neck ferrules rather than a neck plate, I'm going to be taking a bit more material out, so it'll be sort of like a mix between the music man and the AANJ.

As for pictures of the back:

The cavity looks a bit rough, but I'm not concerned at all because it's just the back cavity. I think I explained what I did in the second post last night.

Here's the entire back. It's not completely done and the sides aren't fully sanded, so the bottom of it looks sort of lobsided, but I don't think it is. Even if it is, once again, not concerned :P
The ferrule holes aren't perfectly aligned, and only two of them actually came through the back (the bits weren't quite long enough), so that's why it looks like it does.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by 6DgOfInTb

Is it just me or is there a slight sketch of a penis on there a bit to the upper right of the bridge?

Anyway, it's looking pretty damn amazing so far. I'm really wanting to test out this guitar when you've got it finished, Joe.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
Thanks a lot man, you can definitely try it out

And no, that's not a penis...I thought the same thing when I looked at it again though! It was a really quick sketch on an idea for how the output jack was going to work.

BTW, the output jack is going in kind of a weird spot. It's going to be between the two knobs closest to the butt of the guitar, but at an angle pointing somewhere in the area of the neck pickup. It'll be on the side like a Les Paul, though, not on the top like an Ibanez S series.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Awesome build man, coming along great!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
BTW, the output jack is going in kind of a weird spot. It's going to be between the two knobs closest to the butt of the guitar, but at an angle pointing somewhere in the area of the neck pickup. It'll be on the side like a Les Paul, though, not on the top like an Ibanez S series.

so kinda recessed into the side or flat to it?
projects looking great
Thanks guys!

MichaelSpeer, it's going to be recessed into the side. I think it'll work out pretty well like that. I was a bit skeptical at first, but now I think it'll be cool.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

New idea... since the body is pretty thick, I think I'm going to take a bunch of meat off of the back side of the neck pocket to make it more like an AANJ, but something like this might be kind of cool...but I'd make it prettier than this.

Thoughts/suggestions? Also, this is more for me...I need to figure out what to do to make the horns look a little less lobsided. I'll know more about that when the edges are down right to the line, though.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Well I would rather it was just a plain AANJ, with out the carve from top to bottom horn, or at least a much more subtle one

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Yeah it wouldn't be nearly that grotesque looking...i'd probably do it like not nearly that much without a defined edge to it, and then angle it even more at the actual neck joint.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

UPDATES!

We got some beveling and belly cutting done. None of it is finished, so they both look kind of shoddy, but I wanted to give you guys some updates.
Keep in mind, I couldn't get any great pictures of the work we got done :|

For the belly carve, we need to take it further towards the middle of the guitar more, and still take a bunch of meat out of the general area of it. We're going to buy a better rasp, because all we have is a small 6'' rasp and it just doesn't give us the angle we need to get the job done.

Belly carve from different angles:

(looks like I'm bending the guitar with my hands o.O)

Here are some pictures of the beveling. The mahogany is starting to show through, and it's looking nice. I realized I need to take some of the bevels a little bit further towards the middle of the guitar as well, and I also need to make them less round and more of a straight angle (aka more Jackson Flying V, less Strat, in terms of bevels). One more thing to keep in mind about this, the body shape isn't completely sanded down to the line, so that will make things interesting. We might sand down to the line with a portable belt sander before we get really far into this.

Sorry for the wall of text, and onto pictures as promised.

Looks pretty awesome to me, I can't wait for it to be done.

P.S. how does this look for a neck pocket?

We're probably going to have a music-man-like 5-bolt setup, but we may use only 4 if need be.

Comments?
-Joe
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Oct 15, 2008,
Looks pretty solid, but might i reccommend a spokeshave instead of a rasp? it cuts so much more cleanly, and requires much less sanding afterwards (not to say that you souldn't sand)

makes bevels easier too,
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by brado
I like that dog

I like how it doesn't move in the photos!

But very nice work man!
Clean work as far as I can see too!
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Looking awesome!

5 bolts isnt necessary though, 4 will suffice,

and what do you mean making the bevels more straight? JPs are really rounded like strat bevels arnt they?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
looks awsome man, keep up the good work
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by deftonesordie
Looks pretty solid, but might i reccommend a spokeshave instead of a rasp? it cuts so much more cleanly, and requires much less sanding afterwards (not to say that you souldn't sand)

makes bevels easier too,

Yeah I was thinking about getting a spokeshave...I might try that out

And Neil, the bevels on a JP7 aren't strat-like at all haha
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Haha yeah, we got lucky with the tools. My parent's friend has been working with us throught the whole thing. He's never built a guitar before, but he's a professional woodworker. Basically we're getting everything done, even if it's the hard way.

Also, we're picking up a spokeshave sometime soon, because that definitely seems like the best way to go on this (thanks, deftonesordie)

I knew you guys would comment on my dog in those pictures >.<
I just realized how bad the belly carve looks in those pictures. It's really not that bad.

Irrelevant good news, though! I found somebody selling a Carvin Legacy head for a good price and willing to ship, FINALLY!

Thanks for the support guys
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Oct 16, 2008,
Yeah, that's pretty cool. See, my grandfather is a woodworker, and has all the tools I'd need to build a guitar (or a bass, that's more what I'm leaning towards), but the problem is getting everything together, like the wood, plans, etc... and the fact that he lives an hour away is kinda sucky too. But I guess if he glued up the blank/top for me in advance, I could go up there and try to get all the cuts/routes/carves done in one day, maybe 2.

Either way, it'd be tough to do. But it's something I desperately want to do someday.
Yeah man, the guy we're working with lives an hour away as well, so we can only go up once a week max, and it's usually less do to schedule conflictions. If you get all your plans together, then you could probably make it work.

LP, check your PMs on your profile.
I feel somewhat guilty doing this, so nobody else ask please
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

I didn't reply to anything!

besides this. damn.

Anyway, if I ever manage to gather some powertools together then you can expect to see a build from me... just hopefully I can make it look as good as this one.

(btw, what are the absolutely necessary tools that i'd need to build a guitar/bass? to anyone that wants to answer? I know that I could get a planer hookup for a router, so don't say planer. :P)
you could probably do an entire guitar with a router, if you were a god at creating templates and jigs...

that being said:
planer
jointer?
Bandsaw
router
various files/rasps; spokeshave (it's so much fun to use the spokeshave, my personal favourite in the finishing process thus far... )
sander w/ various grains of attachments/pads
templates are pretty key... make sure you have a center line!!

i think that's the basic building tools...

add bomb cans of paint and maybe some grain sealer and you could be set!
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Oct 17, 2008,
A drill press is pretty essential

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Hmm... well the bandsaw then seems to be the biggest set back. I wouldn't really need the planer or jointer, because I could just buy premade blanks that are already done.

It wouldn't be too hard to get a hold of a router and the right jigs either, I'm thinking; same with the rasps and spokeshave.

Hell, the sander wouldn't be hard either.

As for the drill press and the bandsaw... eh i'd probably just pay my grandparents a visit and get some help from my pepere with it.

Hmm... maybe i'll look into this sometime! :p

The only thing i'm confused about is how, when somebody goes about building a guitar, how do they set it up so everything follows the center line that's drawn out on the body? I don't know why but I just can't wrap my mind around it. Haha.
well, if you're placing everything directly on the center line, you really just divide the length of it in 2 and use that point to locate it on the center line.
------

Shwiggity.
Makes sense, lol. Although I suppose if I had the template made up with the marks to route out the neck pocket that would work too, right?

^Yeah, my template has a neck pocket route shape on it.

Blue book antiqua font means UPDATES!

We bought a hand planer today, because nobody had a spokeshave. In fact, the guys at Home Depot and ACE hardware had never even heard of a spokeshave! So we're either going to order one or head up to a woodworking store 30 minutes away.

So instead of bevelling, I did the arm contour. It turned out pretty damn well for never using a hand planer before, if I do say so myself. PICS!

In this one it still has some leftover sawdust on it, so it looks like a sepia-themed rainbow...

Two more angles:

Now into the kitchen, where I took a slightly damp rag and wet the guitar a little bit.
This is where I learn how really really awesome my guitar is going to look.

Mmmm...I'm so glad the arm contour came out so neatly.

Story time:
We had the thing pretty much done. Then, I guess we kept hitting cross-grain or something, and the planer just WOULDN'T move. It would get stuck no matter where we tried to start it. So we just wrapped some random 80 grit sand paper we had around a wooden board and started going away at it. We might have done the contour a bit deeper, but we couldn't get any farther with the planer, so I think it's going to stay where it's at, unless I change my mind when everything else is done.

Comments? I think it's really looking awesome.

-Joe
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Oct 18, 2008,
I like it. I hadn't thought that I'd like the flame maple being 'cut away' and having the mahogany showing, but I'm digging the look of it. And yes, the wet look is indeed beautiful. Haha. Good work sir.
Thanks man. Yeah, I had no idea how it was going to look, but I figured whatever it was, it would look unique, and if I did it right, it shouldn't look too out of place. It'll look even better once I finish all the beveling, which means I need a spokeshave...
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

the spokeshave will blow your mind, it helps the shaping go so well, and it's a very natural feel afterwards.

make sure to sand the bevels until you have just a LIIIITLE bit of a concave in it, it makes the grain pop.
------

Shwiggity.
Looks sweet as a nut!

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Thanks deftones. I can't wait till I get one >.<

Neil, (in the words of the Tourettes Guy's son), who'se nuts have you been tasting that have been sweet?
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Alright, my dad is going out to pick up a spokeshave today (I've got stuff to do). What kind of spokeshave would be best? Convex, concave, straight, etc?
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

looking awsome! nice work, i think i might try a build like this.....
(some day)
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\