I've been working on a strat project for a while now, and things are finaly all comeing together...BUT one little thing is standing in my way, the 22nd fret. I've got the guitar put together and have a set of strings on it, but the actions is so low that the strings touch the last fret, I'v tried loosening the bridge up to get the strings off the fret board, and even removed a spring from the back, but they still just sit there on the frets....what should I do?

Is it even possible to be fixed? It's a Squire Strat body with Fender neck...can that work? If not I just waisted a ton of cash and time
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Is your neck shimmed? It sounds like your neck is shimmed and it doesn't need to be. Adjusting the truss rod and height of the saddles is what you should do first.
how do I adjust the truss? I've never messed with that before.

also...what is shimmed?
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Last edited by HLrocker at Apr 7, 2008,
I've twisted it in both directions, and nothings changed
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
It takes a while for it to settle in. Try 1/4 turn clockwise and let it sit for a while (an hour or two).
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
i've let it sit for a while, and it hasn't shown any change at all....anyone know what could be the problem?
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
idk... move... the... nut up... higher... i really have no idea.
O O

___
Quote by end_citizen
Have you raised the saddles on the bridge? Sorry if this is an obvious question.

Okay, I was feeling all guitar savy after putting this thing together, but now I feel kinda guitar-noobish.....Is the saddle the same thing as the string trees on the head stock?
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Lord no. It's the part that the strings rest on at the bridge.

Raising the string trees won't do dick all for action.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

^ Raising the nut too will also provide a more even increase in action. But for this case, just the saddles being raised should suffice.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says: