Howdy,

My amp is broken. It's fucking annoying.

I have a Randall RG50TC, not that old. When I turn it on (standby is fine), it makes a really loud static noise, even when the master volume is on 0. It's done this on and off for about a month now, it's quite temperamental. I thought maybe some sort of loose connection somewhere but I really have no idea.

A soundclip is on my profile, if that helps.

Any idea what's wrong with it?

Thanks.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Amp flatulence lol.
Um... I'm not really too sure. Are your tubes all glowing? Is it something to do with your power?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Ah, I should have mentioned, all the tubes are glowing as far as I can tell. If one had gone I assume it wouldn't be temperamental.

What sort of power problem could it be?

Thanks for the input.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Microphonic tube maybe, tap each one with an eraser and see if it comes out of the speaker.
Dirty power. Try out different outlets, maybe try a surge protector.
When did this start exactly?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Geartrigger
Microphonic tube maybe, tap each one with an eraser and see if it comes out of the speaker.

I'd have to open up the back of my amp for that. Could try it tomorrow I guess.

Quote by darkarbiter7
Dirty power. Try out different outlets, maybe try a surge protector.
When did this start exactly?

Probably a few weeks ago, I'd say. Not exactly sure. I'll give that a try.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Quote by Liberation
Any other ideas?
Quote by Liberation
Another bump in case anyone new is on this morning...
Quote by Liberation
Not that I know of...
Quote by Liberation
Check the tubes by tapping an eraser against them. Sounds like a major case of microphony.
Check the fuses, your power supply, everything.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Very major... I thought microphonic tubes just caused a bit of noise when vibrated? i.e. when you're playing.

This was with all volumes on 0...

Anyway, if I get a chance I'll check the tubes, and if i get no luck I'm gonna try to find someone to look it over.

How can I check power supply and fuses?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Quote by Liberation
hey I think I might know what it is. My old tube amp would be all distorted and gross sounding even on the clean channels after playing it for a couple minutes or sometimes when I turned it on. Turns out a lot of the solder joints were bad.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Yeah, bad joints is what I've been afraid of. I don't wanna resolder them myself 'cause I sick with a soldering iron, and I don't wanna find and pay someone to do it for me.
Quote by Liberation