So I noticed that in many Slayer songs (South of Heaven, Raining Blood, Dead Skin mask etc.) they use an interval "progression" of 1-8-b5. For example E-E-A#. Is there a proper name for these "progressions, and are there any more of these "progressions" I could use in writing riffs to get specific sounds?
^ tritone. depending on how its used like if you put

D--2
A--1
E--0

that is a E b5 chord. the interval between E and Bb is a tritone (3 whole tones away) very eerie and evil sounding. good for teh br00tuhlzest metalz.
Quote by slayer1516
So I noticed that in many Slayer songs (South of Heaven, Raining Blood, Dead Skin mask etc.) they use an interval "progression" of 1-8-b5. For example E-E-A#. Is there a proper name for these "progressions, and are there any more of these "progressions" I could use in writing riffs to get specific sounds?

Well the interval is a tritone/augmented fourth/diminished fifth. It's not really a progression, but you can play around with tritones a lot; they sound quite sinister. You might want to take a look at diminished 7th chords or augmented 6th chords; they could sound sinister or dark/dissonant. I take it that's the sound you're after.
Wait, I am thinking about triads. Thanks anyways. I'll try those diminished 7th chords and augmented 6th chords
the E to A# is a tritone, very evil sounding, listen to black sabbath, by black sabbath, pretty much the exact same thing
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.