whats better for shaping a neck a concave/convex spokeshave or a straight bladed one ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
I use a straight but I'd imagine all three could be used. The straight does have the advantage of being easier to sharpen.
worry over i got the straight one lol
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
honestly, i dont even use a spokeshave- i just use a rasp and file the whole time! i know, i know, thats not the right way to do it, but it works!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
i just use a rasp and file the whole time! i know, i know, thats not the right way to do it, but it works!

I don't think there's one right way to do it. But there are faster ways! And the spokeshave is probably faster thand rasps and files But hey, whatever works!
even though spokeshave is faster, i find it easier to shape the neck exactly how you want it with a file- id rather spend a little longer and on a neck and have it come out better
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
even though spokeshave is faster, i find it easier to shape the neck exactly how you want it with a file- id rather spend a little longer and on a neck and have it come out better

Sure. That's a luxury you have when building a guitar for yourself. You can take all the time you want, and make it perfect. Heck, my first build took 4 years, amd it's still not quite the way I want it!....
^+like 30 or 40 -in fact, i try to get my necks exactly like the one on my SG 'cause i like that neck so much, and i have like 5 spare pups from tryin so many different pup combos!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
guitars- well, maybe thats an exagerration (BIG exagerration) but u get the point...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
i used a straight spokeshave, flat rasp and half round rasp. oh and a rat tail file for some stuff... although i'm not done shaping yet... still a little too thick at the headstock and a lil too flat at the heel. the spokeshave liked taking chunks of mahogany out of the neck for sure... final shaping will be with rasps, files, 80 grit and take it from there... no more spokeshave at this point.

cabinet scrapers look interesting... anybody using?