Page 1 of 3
I searched on blackheart amps but there's no real massive thread discussing them so... what are your opinions? I don't have much money to spend and I have been looking for the perfect 5 watt all tube amp FOREVER. I like the look of the Epiphone 5 watt combi amps, and there's this brand granger which is the same but slightly cheaper made in the same factory...

Which would joo guise say is best out of these? Considering I DO play a lot of high gain metal, I also play blues and want a tubey sound, if I want metal I can run a pedal through it, no?

Have about £100-150 to spend. I'l spend more if it's going to be really special though.

Thanks in advance =)
I tried a BH combo the other day at GC, and the VJ. I liked the BH more. more dark sounding to me, but that's just me. and yes you can run an OD pedal on them.

I recognize your pic. anywhere.
Nightwish - Nemo
Quote by esp1234
I tried a BH combo the other day at GC, and the VJ. I liked the BH more. more dark sounding to me, but that's just me. and yes you can run an OD pedal on them.

I recognize your pic. anywhere.
Nightwish - Nemo

Ha, if you recognise my pic you might recognise the dilemma of discovering your favourite guitarist's tone comes from using a mesa boogie triple rectifier, and that you can't afford one, bah

I have yet to see a BH in the UK but if I decide they'd really be amazing I'd get one shipped to me.

Is having the extra eq control knobs a huge bonus?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Ha, if you recognise my pic you might recognise the dilemma of discovering your favourite guitarist's tone comes from using a mesa boogie triple rectifier, and that you can't afford one, bah

I thought Emmpu uses Dual rectos?
Anyway I tried both not long ago in Sound Control (check out if there's one near you - they're the only guys with them in the UK atm) and preferred the BH:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795000

Darker sounding than the VJ so more likely to get metal with lots of boosting - It will NOT do it on its own though.
I personally found the EQ really useful also.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Sound Control do them? Wicked, there's one just down the road from me, I'll have to pop in after uni.

I thought Emppu used triple recs... back in the day anyway, I can't stand his tone since he started using ESPs *grumble*

I like to play a bit of everything so I'm concerned that these amps are only good for one thing... if they sound great with an overdrive pedal they'll have rubbish cleans and vice versa =/
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Sound Control do them? Wicked, there's one just down the road from me, I'll have to pop in after uni.

I thought Emppu used triple recs... back in the day anyway, I can't stand his tone since he started using ESPs *grumble*

I like to play a bit of everything so I'm concerned that these amps are only good for one thing... if they sound great with an overdrive pedal they'll have rubbish cleans and vice versa =/

Yeah, Sound Control are the ONLY guys who do them atm haha.

Hmm...idk, lol about the ESP comment I know it's rectos though.
Meh, it's alright, just stomp on the pedal when you want cleans and again for drive. Simple.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
What pedals are best for emulating a high gain nightwish typed sound, would you say? I was debating getting the danelectro black paisley for a while, but reviews I read on UG made it seem quite digital-y, I'm a bit apprehensive about putting something that sounds crap into a nice valve amp

lol I said would you say twice in one sentence >.<
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Apr 7, 2008,
Quote by esp1234
Didnt Emppu used washburn guitars?

Yeah but then Washburn stopped making 'his' guitar after the century child tour so he swapped to ESP and got sponsored by them, Once and DPP are recorded with ESPs.

But like, can anyone answer my question? >.<
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I searched on blackheart amps but there's no real massive thread discussing them so... what are your opinions? I don't have much money to spend and I have been looking for the perfect 5 watt all tube amp FOREVER. I like the look of the Epiphone 5 watt combi amps, and there's this brand granger which is the same but slightly cheaper made in the same factory...

Which would joo guise say is best out of these? Considering I DO play a lot of high gain metal, I also play blues and want a tubey sound, if I want metal I can run a pedal through it, no?

Have about £100-150 to spend. I'l spend more if it's going to be really special though.

Thanks in advance =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHSM5GJD87A

300 quid but worth it

1 watt as well but you will be micing up live anyway with anything under 40 watts normally
Last edited by SteaminGeezer at Apr 7, 2008,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
What pedals are best for emulating a high gain nightwish typed sound, would you say? I was debating getting the danelectro black paisley for a while, but reviews I read on UG made it seem quite digital-y, I'm a bit apprehensive about putting something that sounds crap into a nice valve amp

lol I said would you say twice in one sentence >.<

Guyatone Metal Monster, Zvex Box of Metal, Damage Control Demoniser. However these are all 200 quid plus so you would be better getting a used carvin v3 which emulates the Mesa sound they have.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Thanks, I'll have a look in soundcontrol tomorrow and see what they have in.

lol you wont get crates in there. they charge 20% more than other stores btw.
Quote by SteaminGeezer
Guyatone Metal Monster, Zvex Box of Metal, Damage Control Demoniser. However these are all 200 quid plus so you would be better getting a used carvin v3 which emulates the Mesa sound they have.

The Demonizer is overpriced for what you get and has about as much gain as the Womanizer with a bit more of an aggressive voicing.

I say the Damage Control Solid Metal, even then, it's too much cash.

The Digitech Black-13 was quite impressive. The Metal Muff is always a solid choice.

As for high gain 5 watters. I say Peavey JSX Mini Colossal.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by SteaminGeezer
lol you wont get crates in there. they charge 20% more than other stores btw.

Yes but they are the only place that stocks a lot of things, so I have to put up with it!

Plus I'm not sure I'll be a big fan of crates until I play one, and I'm a student, I really don't have extra money to pull out of my ass for something like this. I have a £200 bonus from work, I'd like to think I can get a 5w amp and half decent pedal with that =/
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yes but they are the only place that stocks a lot of things, so I have to put up with it!

Plus I'm not sure I'll be a big fan of crates until I play one, and I'm a student, I really don't have extra money to pull out of my ass for something like this. I have a £200 bonus from work, I'd like to think I can get a 5w amp and half decent pedal with that =/

Have you never considered pole dancing? my girlfriends friend used to do it in a different city from where she lived. You get good tone, guys get good time, no one remembers your indignity..everyones a winner!
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Actually, with that, you could get a Peavey Royal 8 and have 100 quid left over for pedals and such.

Or you could get a Laney LC15 and have about 40ish to play with.

I say go Laney. It's 15 watts though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
for that much bro you can get a blackheart combo and bad monkey pedal, blackheart mini stack and bad monkey might be real close to pushin it but you can bet ur ass it's worth it.

that's what i used on the blackheart i got on layaway. on its own the blackheart is pretty sweet sounding when dimed, but this OD adds beef and a good amount of gain if you want it to. i'd recommend it.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
for that much bro you can get a blackheart combo and bad monkey pedal, blackheart mini stack and bad monkey might be real close to pushin it but you can bet ur ass it's worth it.

that's what i used on the blackheart i got on layaway. on its own the blackheart is pretty sweet sounding when dimed, but this OD adds beef and a good amount of gain if you want it to. i'd recommend it.

Blackheart Little Giant =/= Br00talz.

I doubt it could hit Nightwish even with a boost.

You'd need a distortion pedal, which you can't use when you crank you can't really turn the gain down or anything.

Oh, and, uh, she's not a 'bro'
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Actually, with that, you could get a Peavey Royal 8 and have 100 quid left over for pedals and such.

Or you could get a Laney LC15 and have about 40ish to play with.

I say go Laney. It's 15 watts though

forgot about laney, win.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how would the Blackheart BH5 112 do for metal? Obviously it would need an overdrive pedal as a boost or a distortion pedal to do high gain metal, but how would it handle these things?
Quote by ketiov
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how would the Blackheart BH5 112 do for metal? Obviously it would need an overdrive pedal as a boost or a distortion pedal to do high gain metal, but how would it handle these things?

Priest/Maiden/Accept/Generic '80's Hair Metulz = yes

In Flames/Dark Tranquility/Sodom/Children of Bodom/Lamb of God/Ensiferum = no
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
damn i forgot this was to suggest somethin for a nightwish sound...

i think ur gonna need somethin more modern voiced like a randall.

thanks for pointin' that out hatebreeder haha...that's what happens when u post w/o thinkin'!

well anyways i think i'll just sit back and listen for a while till i have advice that applies to THIS genre.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005

thanks for pointin' that out hatebreeder haha...that's what happens when u post w/o thinkin'!

well anyways i think i'll just sit back and listen for a while till i have advice that applies to THIS genre.

The cheapest Randall that's actually worth anything is out of her pricerange though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
well **** i guess ur gonna have to save up some more young lady.

don't shorthand urself outta good gear! u wont be far from a good purchase w/ just a lil more saving
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Why doesn't someone put out an affordable low-watt tube metal amp? is it hard to do?
RevJr, I know, but its not really affordable.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Quote by stigma15
Why doesn't someone put out an affordable low-watt tube metal amp? is it hard to do?
RevJr, I know, but its not really affordable.

Peavey Mini Colossal

It's relatively affordable.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
seeing how your name has Ibanez, i'm gonna suggest the Ibanez VLB Valbee.

it seems like it has potential

or save up for a Mini Colossal
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

Not JUST nightwish, I play all sorts. I could deal with an amp that couldn't reach Nightwish-typed gain if it could play everything else.

Also would a reeeeallly high gain pedal like the danelectro black paisley or black coffee make any difference to what it's able to play?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Not JUST nightwish, I play all sorts. I could deal with an amp that couldn't reach Nightwish-typed gain if it could play everything else.

Also would a reeeeallly high gain pedal like the danelectro black paisley or black coffee make any difference to what it's able to play?

You could put a pedal over the Blackheart but you'd be putting gain on top of gain.

The Blackheart doesn't have a gain control, nor a clean channel so you couldn't really use something like a Black Paisley or a Black Coffee. You'd just get a bunch of noise.

It's the same thing with the Valve Junior.

The only thing you could really do is put an overdrive in front of it and even still, you most likely wouldn't have enough gain.

If you want an amp that could do anything except that, then it wouldn't be a bad choice. Mind you, cleans won't be obtainable at high volumes.

Your best bet is an LC15 and an OD.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
^^Why woudl you just get a bunch of noise?

I'm not being argumentative, there really isn't much I know about tube amps

Also, even though I ignored it before...

Quote by SteaminGeezer
Have you never considered pole dancing? my girlfriends friend used to do it in a different city from where she lived. You get good tone, guys get good time, no one remembers your indignity..everyones a winner!

You can go fuck yourself
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
^^Why woudl you just get a bunch of noise?

I'm not being argumentative, there really isn't much I know about tube amps

Also, even though I ignored it before...

You can go fuck yourself

Lots of gain + lots of gain = SQUEEL!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Lots of gain + lots of gain = SQUEEL!

But you said the amps don't have any gain settings, only the natural tube sound? so where's the other gain coming from?

So there is absolutely no way to get a good sound using a pedal and the amp at low volume?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
But you said the amps don't have any gain settings, only the natural tube sound? so where's the other gain coming from?

So there is absolutely no way to get a good sound using a pedal and the amp at low volume?

5watt amp=transistor radio, half stack=large hifi. You need large speaker(s) to get anywhere close to a Mesa recto sound.
^^ Well yeah, I've been told that, but I don't understand why that is. I have also mentioned in this thread I know nothing about tube amps, teaching me something would be nicer then the whole "lol look a noob" thing.
*chants*

laney! laney! laney!

you just missed out on those grainger things for £200

thats if you could compramise on a 5w combo to the extent of a 50w halfstack

my +1 goes with the LC. failing that, a blackheart and a metal muff
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Page 1 of 3