Poll: What Cable?
Poll Options
View poll results: What Cable?
You Don't Need to upgrade (there really cheap cables)
1 14%
Planet Waves (what kind)
0 0%
Monster Cable (what kind)
4 57%
Live Wire
2 29%
Other (im looking for good quality that will help get good tone)
0 0%
Voters: 7.
Hi I have these really cheap ripcore or (there yellow ends and black cable), and I was wondering if I should upgrade to higher quality cables, such as monster or planet waves? What would be a good cable if I gig alot and plan to record?

2nd Question:
What gauge of picks do certain professionals use and how does it effect your tone?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
monster cables are very good for the price, I have 2, a 21' is $25 or thereabouts.
I don't know the brand name though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I like planet waves cause they're guartenteed for life
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
as long as the cable is shielded and made of decent materials, and I expect most cables are made of essentially the same gage stranded wire, its probably ok. length is the most significant factor. "audiophile" stuff often lacks substantive grounding in physics-- even if gold plated connectors or whatever do contribute to signal maintenance, its not by much. i would just go with a decent cable-- fender or dimarzio or something probably in the $20 range.

experiment with picks to see how different materials and gages affect attack and timbre. don't worry what other guys are using. if it sounds and plays well for you, its probably good.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
could you list a good monster cable but for a decent price
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
dude.... the brand is not that significant. there is not that huge a range of cables. anything on musiciansfriend in the $20+ range for 12"+ is fine. brand will not impact your sound, assuming the cable is not made of rubbish.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
I don't have any experience with either monster or planet waves cables, but I have heard live wire make great ones.

The pick guage affects your tone (i think) when the thicker it is, the bassier and heavier the sound will be. A lighter weight can be used for bright sounds. I am not really sure though.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr