Ionian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1
Dorian - 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 1
Phrygian - 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1
Lydian - 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7 1
Mixolydian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 1
Aeolian - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 1
Locrian - 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 1

according to this, i should be able to take the C Major scale, flat the 3rd and 7th notes, and then it will become the C Dorian, right? or is it the D Dorian?

if it's the D Dorian, do i have to start on a D note or do i still use C as the root note? im new to modes so i just need some help. thanks.
It's D Dorian, and you have to start on a D in order to obtain the Dorian tonality.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Wrong. C major with a flat 3 and flat 7 is C dorian.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
its D dorian
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
No, thats wrong to turn the C major scale into a d dorian, you must have the appropriate progression behind it, basically all it is is just basing the scale around D to D, which you don;t even have to do if the chord is like a dminor, you are not basing your scale on the chords key signature, you look at the chords in the song and go okay, its a c major to a diminor, what will i play if iwant to play dorian, so for c major you could play the c major scale tehn for D minor you could play the D dorian. Modes are a re arrangement of the pattern of the notes, not the ntoes themselves.
C major is the same as D dorian.
If you have a normal C major with að flat 3 and 7 it's C dorian, then the major(ionian) of C dorian is A# major
The main purpose of a TV is to have a place to point your furnatures to
lol c dorian, d dorian, c dorian, d dorian...everyone is just saying one or the other. i guess they're just the same. anyways, if im using C Dorian (D Dorian if you want to call it that) do i have to start on a D note, C note, doesn't matter, or does it depend on the chord progression?
Quote by guitaristx11
lol c dorian, d dorian, c dorian, d dorian...everyone is just saying one or the other. i guess they're just the same. anyways, if im using C Dorian (D Dorian if you want to call it that) do i have to start on a D note, C note, doesn't matter, or does it depend on the chord progression?

HammerAndSickle is right, look at the notes, they're not the same thing:
C major: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (C D E F G A B)
C Dorian: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 (C D Eb F G A Bb)
D Dorian: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 (D E F G A B C)

Don't listen to these idiots that tell you it's D Dorian. It's C Dorian if you flat the notes from the C major scale. Flat the third and seventh degrees of the major scale and you get Dorian. Don't call C Dorian something else.

Modality is determined by the chord progression.
Quote by Doodleface
It's D Dorian, and you have to start on a D in order to obtain the Dorian tonality.

I addressed your first point, but you don't have to start on the D in order to establish the modality. If you have a D Dorian vamp (such as Dm7 G7), you can use any notes from the D Dorian scale (D E F G A B C) regardless of the order you play them in.

Quote by arondadi
C major is the same as D dorian.
If you have a normal C major with að flat 3 and 7 it's C dorian, then the major(ionian) of C dorian is A# major

The parent scale of C Dorian is Bb major, not A# major. Dorian is based on the second degree of the scale, and in A# major C would be the b3.

hurricanefresh: C major to D minor is not a Dorian progression. You wouldn't be playing in Dorian at all.

This should hopefully clear up any inconsistencies here.
Last edited by :-D at Apr 7, 2008,
Quote by :-D
HammerAndSickle is right, look at the notes, they're not the same thing:
C major: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (C D E F G A B)
C Dorian: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 (C D Eb F G A Bb)
D Dorian: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 (D E F G A B C)

Don't listen to these idiots that tell you it's D Dorian. It's C Dorian if you flat the notes from the C major scale. Flat the third and seventh degrees of the major scale and you get Dorian. Don't call C Dorian something else.

Modality is determined by the chord progression.

I addressed your first point, but you don't have to start on the D in order to establish the modality. If you have a D Dorian vamp (such as Dm7 G7), you can use any notes from the D Dorian scale (D E F G A B C) regardless of the order you play them in.

The parent scale of C Dorian is Bb major, not A# major. Dorian is based on the second degree of the scale, and in A# major C would be the b3.

hurricanefresh: C major to D minor is not a Dorian progression. You wouldn't be playing in Dorian at all.

This should hopefully clear up any inconsistencies here.

It would still produce a dorian quality is what i meant, whether you start At D or not.