Page 1 of 3
Why is that?. I can only think of a handful of them who actually make music: pj harvey, norah jones, the girl from portishead, the girl from sonic youth, etc. There aren't nearly as much as man.

I've never heard of a female classical music composer, like beethoven and bach.
Well back in the days, women was barely allowed to. Don't ask me why it isn't so nowdays, but girls just play other kinds of instruments (mostly), like piano, flutes n' stuff like that. They still listen to as much music as we do.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
about the women not being classical composers
i think it's because they weren't really allowed, or it just wasn't socially acceptable back then for them to hold that kind of position
i'm not really sure though lol
They are too busy cooking and cleaning... DUH!
JK but it's a gender pressure thing you know? If all guys like metal and classical then I don't think a girl would be comfortable being in the same group. I mean, I don't think a bunch of guys like Hannah Montana or whatnot.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by SQHero
They are too busy cooking and cleaning... DUH!

JK

This is where I disagree with you
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Because of opression, not through lack of trying.

+1000
the same is true for all fine arts-->society has kept women so busy making food and babies, that they don't have time to make other things. That's not literally true today, but the idea is still with us in more subtle forms.
I think it's more that they just don't like Metal and Rock. Girls may actually be more into "music" like Boy bands and the Spice Girls. As for actual "Music" it's probably just something that is hardwired. Such as most men don't paticularly like drama.
hmm, depends what part of the world your talking about. in the uk at least, girls where encouraged to take up an instrument. it was supposed to show good temperament or something like that. you look at popular music theres alot of women in there, and alot of women write songs you wouldnt know about. dont want to miss a thing - by aerosmith ? pssh. if your talking about metal and rock, theyre manly genres i'd say. we go to those ion dissonance concerts to work of a bit of testosterone
I know girls that are more passionate about music than almost every guy I know combined.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by nedthehead
I think it's more that they just don't like Metal and Rock. Girls may actually be more into "music" like Boy bands and the Spice Girls. As for actual "Music" it's probably just something that is hardwired. Such as most men don't paticularly like drama.

Biggest load of bullshit ever. Read up on sociology before you spew nonsense onto the world, idiot.
Depends on what culture, like Def said. Look at the Geisha of Japan. They were encouraged to learn at least one instrument, and music was a big part of their jobs.

EDIT: @ nedthehead
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by nedthehead

First of all who are you to class what is "music" and what isn't music? And secondly those generalisations are greatly unjustified.
Fanny Mendelssohn.

edit: Also, it seems that girls connect more to lyrics than the actual music. So there isn't really a consistency in what they listen to, one day it may be metal, the next, rap.
Quote by element4433
I know girls that are more passionate about music than almost every guy I know combined.

i don't think passion has much to do with it, since that is nothing to do with gender

Read up on sociology before you spew nonsense onto the world, idiot.

aw i don't see the chapter on women in music anywhere in my book
I know many girls who are musicians - and damn good ones. They usually don't pursue music careers though. I think that's because girls tend to be more reasonable than guys, because let's face it, it is very unlikely to be succesfull enough to pay the bills with music only, even if you are good. Girls tend to play it safe, while a testosterone driven young man is often willing to take risks. Sometimes these risks pay off and they become known artists.

I realise that this post sounds pretty shallow, but I can't think of any other reason at the moment.
Quote by nedthehead

you sir,are a retard.
Quote by imthehitcher

aw i don't see the chapter on women in music anywhere in my book

Try the bit where it says that gender roles are imposed by society, and that men aren't 'hardwired' to like metal whereas it is a genetic feature of women to like boy-bands
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Try the bit where it says that gender roles are imposed by society, and that men aren't 'hardwired' to like metal whereas it is a genetic feature of women to like boy-bands

hmmm now you mention it i recall Durkheim's theory of boy band genetics
well pretty much all the stuck up prisses at my school only listen to bands & artists they think are hot
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by TheQuailman
I know many girls who are musicians - and damn good ones. They usually don't pursue music careers though. I think that's because girls tend to be more reasonable than guys, because let's face it, it is very unlikely to be succesfull enough to pay the bills with music only, even if you are good. Girls tend to play it safe, while a testosterone driven young man is often willing to take risks. Sometimes these risks pay off and they become known artists.

I realise that this post sounds pretty shallow, but I can't think of any other reason at the moment.

makes sense
I think they way girls grow up in society has to do with it. Double standards and whatnot. Like with eating disorders.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by TheQuailman

good point. us men are more reckless and irresponsible. and less likely to have realistic focused goals, or bring any organisation to what we're doing. Sounds like im being harsh on men, but as all men know, being reckless and irresponsible is completely awesome.

I think it fits with male bonding better, if you consider how differently men bond to women. the way men are more like dogs, and are rougher and theres more competition. i think a band would suit that sort of relationship better

and seriously guys.......everyone loves boy bands. not matter how much people deny it, someone puts "bye bye bye" on, your jiving on the inside
Quote by shredmeiser101
well pretty much all the stuck up prisses at my school only listen to bands & artists they think are hot

....you need to go meet some real women

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You lost me at freudian. Anything freudian is not true, kay?

Ahaha, well no some of it might make sense.

You may also wish to look at the fact that cocaine was readily available in his time
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by Def
and seriously guys.......everyone loves boy bands. not matter how much people deny it, someone puts "bye bye bye" on, your jiving on the inside

no im not
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Because of opression, not through lack of trying.

+1

women arent thought of as being able to make music in many people minds

Jack my swag
Quote by nedthehead

Excuse me? Spice Girls & boy bands? How many women do you know? Or are you talking about 12 year-old girls?

I'm the lead singer and rhythm guitarist for a grunge/metal band... and I'm a woman, thankyouvery much.

Ever heard of Flyleaf? Hole? Evanesence? L7? Bikini Kill? etc etc

MANY women are involved in music. Unfortunatly, the music industry is very sexist. Women musicans are supposed to be sex objects like they are in pop, which makes it harder for women in alt rock to get signed. It's the way it is, unfortunatly. But take a look at the underground music scene in your area... I'm sure there are at least a few women involved.

Music, espically rock, is a boys' game. But that doesn't mean that girls don't play too.
Quote by nedthehead

That's hecka idiotic - You're generalizing that most guys like metal and rock-I'll have you know that I'm die-hard for Jazz and I've been studying Musical Theatre (yes, DRAMA) for 4 years.

Don't try to contain music cause music is BIGGER THAN YOU. Hardwired...biggest load of crap I've ever heard in my life.
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You lost me at freudian. Anything freudian is not true, kay?

spend time with small children, then adolescents, and then young adults, and tell me you don't believe that the Id always exists and just gets progresively controlled by the ego and superego

Poo poo the oedipus complex and other such things all you want, some of his other conclusions were dead on, even if his means to those conclusions were wrong.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
spend time with small children, then adolescents, and then young adults, and tell me you don't believe that the Id always exists and just gets progresively controlled by the ego and superego

Poo poo the oedipus complex and other such things all you want, some of his other conclusions were dead on, even if his means to those conclusions were wrong.

Ok, but I think he was projecting his own incestuous thoughts about his mother onto that kiddie with the fear of horses, and this lead to a hatred of women which is why his theories are so sexist.

Also, saying that something is true but you can't prove it isn't because THAT'S HOW IT WORKS!!!11 is very childish
Freud has more or less been disproved (and he drew his conclusions from his patients who all happened to be rich women suffering from hysteria).

Women aren't as visible in the music scene because of societal norms. As they grow up, they see that most musicians (especially in the rock genre) are men, so in their heads they think that they shouldn't play rock music. It's really a vicious cycle, and it's not because men and women are "hardwired" to like a certain kind of music. The sexism of record companies and whatnot also plays a big part.

But I have noticed that a lot more guys play guitar than girls, and don't think it's because we're naturally better. It's always cool to find a girl who can play a guitar and play it well.
Women are less connected to music because they have smaller brains and lack the capacity to generate beautiful music.

Seriously though, they lack a penis.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Quote by Sansamor
Freud has more or less been disproved (and he drew his conclusions from his patients who all happened to be rich women suffering from hysteria).

Since psychology is a constantly evolving discourse, not a closed set of facts, I don't think disproved is the best word. And lots of freudien ideas pop into modern psycholgy under different guises. Not every practicing psychologist/psychiatrist ascribes to DSM style of thinking. Obviously every person who adapts freud to their own uses, isn't using "freudian" psych anymore, they've made something new.
Page 1 of 3