Most of the music I like are fingerstyle music, but I was planning to buy an electric guitar because I prefer electrics So how different is it to fingerpick on an electric compared to an acoustic? Does it hurt because of the thinner strings? I'm practicing on an acoustic atm and planning to switch in a month or two.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
you use a pick. end of story.

Err, what?!

Fingerpicking an electric isn't all that different to an acoustic, it may take a little getting used to but nothing major.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by finalx233
Most of the music I like are fingerstyle music, but I was planning to buy an electric guitar because I prefer electrics So how different is it to fingerpick on an electric compared to an acoustic? Does it hurt because of the thinner strings? I'm practicing on an acoustic atm and planning to switch in a month or two.

I finger pick the same way on an electric as an acoustic. And no it doesn't hurt at all.

That's funny though I was just thinking of getting an acoustic so I can stop going to my music store and using the one lefty one they have. lol
My shredding attracts small birds….

Love
Zelda?
I dont want to use a pick >.<

edit : wow fast answer. thx, great to hear its about the same as acoustic
its a world of difference in my opinion. I much prefer the sound of a finger picked electric.
You don't have to. Fingerpicking on an electric is the same as on an acoustic. It's actually probably easier. The Intro to one of my song on electric is fingerpicked.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee
Quote by webbtje
You wish. She probably thinks you're a Stalin/Hitler hybrid... Stitler
In fact, from now on, I'm going to call you Stitler.

Quote by rushmore

it's always nice to find a new reason to smile
I never had and trouble switching over... might hurt your fingers a weee bit at first.
I use to finger pick, even when playing metal
You can tell because the nail my middle finger on my right hand is shaved down XP
It still is since I still do it.

But for playing fast riffs and sweep picking.. a pick is a helpful tool.