I'm in my fifth month of playing and I'm getting the feeling my micro cube just isn't cutting it anymore. I don't think it has enough bassy sound, not really thick enough. But most importantly, it's not loud enough for me when I'm jamming with my friends. One of my friends has some kind of fender frontman that sounds like crap, but it's loud. The other one has a valve junior. I'd like to get a cheap tube amp, but with my money limitations, I don't think I'll be able to get much, so a decent solid state would be fine. I'm looking at spending under 200 dollars. Do you guys think I could get a peavey valve king for that much? I don't know. But it needs to be loud.

PS. Someone I know is interested in starting up guitar. He's good at guitar hero, so it's a natural transition for him. In other words he's kind of a douche. Is 80 bucks a fair price to sell him my micro cube or should i try more ? =)

PSS. The amp would have to be versatile. I like the sound of bands like the police and the eagles, but I still listen to Iron Maiden and megadeth. I wouldn't mind sacrificing the metal qualities for softer distortion.
Try a valve junior combo and a new speaker.

Sell it for $100, say it's really new and clean, point out that they're $30 more on MF.
I'd like the eq knobs and stuff though. And i don't know how to replace speakers...
I would....but that 200 dollar budget would include the money from the cube. and i see on ebay that just the blackheart head is going for almost 180. Which is the price for a new head. And also, is the valve king just unrealistic to find for 200 dollars? I mean, I might be willing to go to like 250ish if this would be like the last amp i'd ever have to buy.
why dont you get the 60watt cube they are probs the best practice amps i think =]
Im quite proud of that LOL

Quote by Unreal445
i found it funny that the pit reported it faster than sky news

Beneath The Fallen
If you have only been playing for 5 months I wouldn't worry about loud right yet. If you teach yourself clean overdrive and distortion will really sound good. Then worry about loud.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
The only reason I need loud is for jamming with friends. The micro cube, a 2 watt solid state, is not cutting it. I can't hear myself and when i turn it all the way up it just sounds overly trebely.
These sound great, but I just saw a peavey bandit 112 for 100 bucks in my area. This would be great in terms of money, just an amp for amp trade basically, and this one looks nice. Will it satisfy me in terms of versatility?
Go for it!
I like peavey's lower end solidstates, and they're great for the price.
I'd go for it at that price.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by spark29
These sound great, but I just saw a peavey bandit 112 for 100 bucks in my area. This would be great in terms of money, just an amp for amp trade basically, and this one looks nice. Will it satisfy me in terms of versatility?

Definitely. If you can supply the effects, that amp matches the big Cubes in SS sound. Great amp.

It also allows an extension cab, so when you get to the stage that you want to start upgrading you can buy the cab first and use it with this 'till you get a head.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 7, 2008,
I think Peavey Bandits are great for what they are. Go for it.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.