Hey whats up everyone.
I've been looking to buy a computer (under $450) that will have enough memory to record audio (w/ cubase) and run guitar pro or similar program for writing midi. I dont need much more since Im planning on only writing midi and recording clean audio at home and then mixing it at school where we have pro grade macs. Any sudjestions?
You'll just need an interface that can handle MIDI keyboards (or just get a USB one if you haven't already)...Tapco's is about $160. As for the computer, you may have to build it yourself or look at the lowest-end models (though you should aim for at least a dual core processor).

And a GFX aka graphics card is useless, unless you want multiple monitors, which I seriously doubt considering your budget. The load off the CPU is negligible.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Apr 7, 2008,
Well pretty much any cheapo POS can record decent clean audio. I got a PC for $1 @ a garage sale one day--P3 700MHz, 128MB RAM. With an extra 128 RAM that thing could record semi-decently with its SoundBlaster 16bit card.

For you though, I would reccomend a cheap case since you probably aren't going to be modding/upgrading/moving/etc with it. Maybe even a case+mobo+PSU combo for <$200. A decent sound card is a must, look at maybe some M-Audio or E-MU PCI based interfaces with 1/4" jacks if u want to line in a guitar and such. GFX card isn't necesary for a recording computer, but integrated graphics suck. Get a cheap (~$50-$75) GFX just to take some of the load off the CPU. Then any Intel Core 2 and at least 512 RAM would get you going fine i believe.

As for software, if you have nothing already then get Audacity. Free, works well for recording one track at a time.
Is that budget just for the computer, or ar you also wanting to get the recording interface with that $450?

Either way you'll be squeezed tight. You may want to consider saving more.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
The bulk of the money should be spent on an interface, if one is needed.

We did our album using Cubase SX2 (2 yrs ago) on a WinXP machine. It is a P4 (Celeron) 1.7Ghz with 512 MB Ram. A very modest machine, generally considered antiquated by 2008 standards, therefore can be had quite cheaply.

Each song had upwards towards 40 tracks of 24-bit audio with processing as required.

A couple of tips, though:
-dedicate it as much as possible to audio only. I have my audio stuff on a separate partition and run a dual-boot.
-go into your OS and turn stuff off that doesn't need to be on. (like all the pretty graphics)
-audio likes to be stored on a different physical drive (not just a partition) than your OS.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
for 450 you could probably find a fair PC though slickdeals.net. I got an acer aspire T180 for $200 from that site. I am looking to build my own soon as i get the cash but it has been working great, just needs 2GB of ram and a video card before you can really get good speeds out of it.

If you had like 800 you could build a PC for recording. Mics, software, cables, and interfaces will kick the price way up so be sure to think about that before buying a PC.
For lower budgets you could try a small MTR but usually they only have a few inputs and are limited...
Quote by moody07747
I got an acer aspire ...

No reason an Aspire shouldn't do just fine. I saw ones in Wal-Mart here just before Christmas - 1GB RAM, 2.4Ghz processor, winVista, DVD-RW for $300.

Quote by moody07747

just needs 2GB of ram

excessive for most people's needs

Quote by moody07747

If you had like 800 you could build a PC for recording.

Or you could buy a perfectly adequate used one for about a tenth of that. Seriously.... if I was to sell my machine.... I'd be lucky to get $100 for it, probably.

Quote by moody07747

Mics, software, cables, and interfaces will kick the price way up so be sure to think about that before buying a PC.

Right on! THAT is where the expenses begin!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.